Forums > General Industry > Instant Messenger...a WEIRDO's Favorite Tool!!!!

Photographer

Tryingreallyhard Delete

Dallas, Texas, US

Recently, a number of Models have told me of horror stories with GWCs that's beginning to have a resounding theme.  They're all using and prefer to use Instant Message programs to communicate with them prior to the shoots.  This way, when questions get asked about what was said leading up to the event, the model has to rely on memory.  IM's are almost as spontaneous as a phone conversation, but not quite. Great for steering a model down a particular path without giving them a lot of time to reflect on what they're doing or saying.  (All have admitted sending photos they NEVER would have sent had they taken time to think about it)  It gives them the time to hammer out BULLSHIT without the model hearing any stuttering and stamering that usually accompanies it, and nothing for the model to go back and check to see exactly what was said. 

Advice models!:  Take ur IM addresses OFF ur FRIGGIN PROFILES!!!  Make everyone communicate with you by phone or e-mail.

Good luck!

Brian

Jan 05 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

male-portfolios wrote:
Recently, a number of Models have told me of horror stories with GWCs that's beginning to have a resounding theme.  They're all using and prefer to use Instant Message programs to communicate with them prior to the shoots.  This way, when questions get asked about what was said leading up to the event, the model has to rely on memory.  IM's are almost as spontaneous as a phone conversation, but not quite. Great for steering a model down a particular path without giving them a lot of time to reflect on what they're doing or saying.  (All have admitted sending photos they NEVER would have sent had they taken time to think about it)  It gives them the time to hammer out BULLSHIT without the model hearing any stuttering and stamering that usually accompanies it, and nothing for the model to go back and check to see exactly what was said. 

Advice models!:  Take ur IM addresses OFF ur FRIGGIN PROFILES!!!  Make everyone communicate with you by phone or e-mail.

Good luck!

Brian

Emails and IM`s really are not different from eachother with the exception of the IM being live action and the email being delayed. It takes me and the model just as long to type what we say, send what we send regardless of which way we send it.
And by the way, one of the most kick ass photographers I ever met in my life had a stuttering problem.
But one thing I will agree with you on is taking screen names off of your profiles. Give them out if you wish, but when you have them in your profile then anyone who wants to can IM you, which increases th GWC to non GWC ratio in the IM box.

Jan 05 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

IM and email does have the advantage of being able to LOG the conversation. That way either the model OR the photographer can have the ability to go back and say... no you said "XYZ". Unless you are taping your phone calls, you can't do that with a phone.

No matter what, until a full relationship with a model has been established the "wierdo" filter should be in place on both sides.

Jan 05 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

male-portfolios wrote:

Good luck!

Brian

I have long agreed with that!! 

Thank you!  smile

JP

Jan 05 06 10:25 am Link

Model

Sheri B

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

male-portfolios wrote:

Good luck!

Brian

Or just stay hidden.  I also ignore those that I don't recognize.  But if I do choose to communicate with someone this way I will copy the conversation.  But before I meet with someone I will speak with them on the phone.  I have never sent additional photos, other than the ones already on the site.

Jan 05 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Or how about models act like the friggin adults they are and claim responsibility for their own actions?

Send someone some pics you never wanted anyone to see... Who's fault is that???

Personal responsibility instead of playing "hapless victim"... It's a start.

Jan 05 06 11:31 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

male-portfolios wrote:
and nothing for the model to go back and check to see exactly what was said.

Yes, people do use these scams to take advantage of naive people. But there are logs for IMs so the models do not have to rely on memory....

Jan 05 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you log your IM's there shouldn't be a problem. Quite possibly better off than a phone call.. I know when I'm on the phone, I don't take notes because often times I am doing other things... I always forget things then. I'd prefer it if everyone contacted me by IM... this phone thing drives me banana's.

Jan 05 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

IsabelAurora wrote:
Yes, people do use these scams to take advantage of naive people.

Scams? instant messages are scams?im confused.

Jan 05 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Brandy wrote:
this phone thing drives me banana's.

Same here although I have no problem talking on the phone.But that friggin stereotypical ring of a phone literally makes my heart skip beats almost every time I hear it. However, these days I give out my cell phone number instead of my home number and I have songs I like as my ring tone. That makes it more bearable. I just have to make sure to change it now and then to another song,lol

Jan 05 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Scams? instant messages are scams?im confused.

This is what happens...

A guy will talk to a girl, any girl, on IM and based on the convo, he'll try to judge her intelligence and if he feels she's a moron, he'll try to get her to send him nude pics. And like the morons they are, the girls will comply.

Jan 05 06 11:48 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I hate the phone because it's not always going to be convenient for me to talk when someone calls. When I'm at home and my computer is on, I'm available to talk while I'm doing other tasks on my computer. If you call me while I'm grocery shopping, driving, or with friends.... things I do very often... it's not really a convenient time for me to stop and focus on writing things down.

Jan 05 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Monsante Bey wrote:

This is what happens...

A guy will talk to a girl, any girl, on IM and based on the convo, he'll try to judge her intelligence and if he feels she's a moron, he'll try to get her to send him nude pics. And like the morons they are, the girls will comply.

ohhhhhh, the pic collectors who join these sites to see the free pics of pretty girls. I get it now. NUmber one reason I have no problem with sites like this charging is because of guys like that. They want them for free and don`t want to pay even a tiny annual fee for the most part. It cut down a lot of that on the other site when they started charging an application fee for even the basic membership. It never put a total end to it but it cut it way down.

Jan 05 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

male-portfolios wrote:

Good luck!

Brian

what a dumb statement any IM program can log your conversations. You can not logg a phone call unless you take notes or record them. who does that. Here is an idea resist a great tool of communication.

Jan 05 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

ohhhhhh, the pic collectors who join these sites to see the free pics of pretty girls. I get it now. NUmber one reason I have no problem with sites like this charging is because of guys like that. They want them for free and don`t want to pay even a tiny annual fee for the most part. It cut down a lot of that on the other site when they started charging an application fee for even the basic membership. It never put a total end to it but it cut it way down.

You know... I may be alone in this statement, but if a guy contacts a model from here and he doesn't have a port here, or it looks like he shot his pics with a camera that fits in his right front pocket, chances are that he's not in convo for the love of photography.

Jan 05 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Greg Rice wrote:

what a dumb statement any IM program can log your conversations. You can not logg a phone call unless you take notes or record them. who does that. Here is an idea resist a great tool of communication.

I agree...IM's should only be given out to people that you ALREADY know...and IM is also the best way to communicate for people like myself that like to multitask and cannot handle being on the phone all the time. As Monsante said, if models take responsibilities for themselves and don't give out their IM addresses to just anyone, most of this would clear up.

Jan 05 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Monsante Bey wrote:

You know... I may be alone in this statement, but if a guy contacts a model from here and he doesn't have a port here, or it looks like he shot his pics with a camera that fits in his right front pocket, chances are that he's not in convo for the love of photography.

I agree and what I said doesnt disagree with that either smile
I did say that it does not get rid of all of those types.But how does one get accepted without some sort of portfolio here?

Jan 05 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

You can now download Dead AIM, which records and saves all your IM conversations so you can ALWAYS go back to them later.  I strongly reccommend it.

Jan 05 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
Or how about models act like the friggin adults they are and claim responsibility for their own actions?

Send someone some pics you never wanted anyone to see... Who's fault is that???

Personal responsibility instead of playing "hapless victim"... It's a start.

Or what about that they would NEVER DO THAK KIND OF PHOTO.  And then the photog gives them an extra $100 and they do it.  Then when the photos hit the net they cry that he said nobody would see it.

Yes who indeed is to blame.  bs

Jan 05 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Brandy wrote:
I hate the phone because it's not always going to be convenient for me to talk when someone calls. When I'm at home and my computer is on, I'm available to talk while I'm doing other tasks on my computer. If you call me while I'm grocery shopping, driving, or with friends.... things I do very often... it's not really a convenient time for me to stop and focus on writing things down.

I'm so with you on this!

In my opinion, my phone is here for my convenience--no one else's.  If I don't feel like taking a call at any time for any reason, I won't without compunction.  If you want me to call you back, leave a message.

And a lot of the time, I think IM type programs are even more intrusive.  I don't want people ever to think that they can just send me a message and that I'll get back to them instantly.  I like to think, write, revise, research, and rewrite before sending stuff out--especially business stuff.

Jan 05 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Brian Diaz wrote:

I love caller ID on my cell for that exact reason,lol.
[qoute]
And a lot of the time, I think IM type programs are even more intrusive.  I don't want people ever to think that they can just send me a message and that I'll get back to them instantly.  I like to think, write, revise, research, and rewrite before sending stuff out--especially business stuff.

I am the same way in a way.I only accept an IM from someone I already know or someone I know I have given my IM information to and want them to IM me. I also have been the time to use the IM feature as a patience test. Will the potential model who sends me an IM freak out if I don`t reply for a minute or two or 10? Or will she be the type to say just reply when you can, no rush. If she whines about me taking too long to reply then chances are she will be too impatient at shoots as well, from m y experience.

Jan 05 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

bobby sargent wrote:

Or what about that they would NEVER DO THAK KIND OF PHOTO.  And then the photog gives them an extra $100 and they do it.  Then when the photos hit the net they cry that he said nobody would see it.

Yes who indeed is to blame.  bs

Most times, money isn't even involved.

Jan 05 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

Most times, money isn't even involved.

ah vanity....

Jan 05 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Lapis wrote:

ah vanity....

The first cousin of stupidity. lol

Jan 05 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

I have my own IM horror (okay, maybe that's a bit extreme).  A certain photog on here sent me some poetry had had written via our MM messages, and then began to IM me obsessively (even though I never replied to them) for days and days, every time I came online he would bombard me with multiple IMs, in-spite of my away-message being on.  Nothing stops the loonies!

Jan 05 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

This is sort of a new practice for me, but before each shoot, I make a file for the model. Including print-outs of all IM, E-mail, and MM messages, and the casting call itself. It has been a useful tool if the model ever claims "she did not know about something". It's an extra step, but CYA. If I am booking for a specific project, I also have the model sign the original casting call text.

This is what I really like about MM's linear messaging system. It makes it very easy to pull up the conversation and make a print out.

Jan 05 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

All IM programs give you the ability to save and log conversations.  If one is discussing business over chat - which I think is perfectly fine - then log everything.  It's not that hard to do.  Oh yeah, you can block people - and take steps to insure your privacy.

Jan 05 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

William Kious wrote:
All IM programs give you the ability to save and log conversations.  If one is discussing business over chat - which I think is perfectly fine - then log everything.  It's not that hard to do.  Oh yeah, you can block people - and take steps to insure your privacy.

Indeed, I blocked him!

Jan 05 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

ip studio

New York, New York, US

When a model asks me to chat, that to me is not a good sign, as it means they are unorganized.

I'm a big fan of email.

Also, when a client wants to talk via phone, I tell them that that is a rush service, and is extra.
Most people don't need rush communication, so if they save some money, that is a good incentive for them not to waste your time with phone conversations.

If you must chat, use gaim, which has extensive logging capabilities, among other things.

Jan 06 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

male-portfolios wrote:

Good luck!

Brian

I almost agree 100%.. I would get rid of the IM but I would not give my phone number till i felt comfortable.

Jan 06 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

male-portfolios wrote:

Good luck!

Brian

POPPYCOCK!! I SAY! Sorry for such strong language!..

IM  has not only helped me in oh, so many ways, but has helped me maintain many a relationship with models and other photogs....

try doing that with two cups and a string

Jan 06 06 11:27 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I don't put up my IM information. And on mine I think I still have it set to where I'm not visible unless you are on my list. tongue

I just really used IM stuff to talk to friends I can not see everyday.

Jan 07 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

Just last night I was chatting with a model on IM discussing various shoot ideas.

In 20 minutes we were able to brainstorm an idea from a simple conversation about goggles to what could be an elaborate and rather spiffy photoshoot. (something that either wouldn't have happened via email or would've taken weeks or a month to go back and forth discussing.)

So in all honesty, I like the IM option because it's less invasive than the phone yet you can still discuss things in real time.

There are valid arguments on both sides...I guess you could take the IM usernames off your profile and only give them to people after a few email/private messages to speed things up later or for last minute updates.

Jan 07 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Good luck!

Brian

This is some of the single worst advice i've ever seen given on here... no offense.. IM allows the model to get a live conversation (personality of phone call) with a record of the events (like email) ... Phone converastions are great for the model to get to know the photographer but its easy to go back on anything that was said because theres no written record of the events... where as email is great for having a written record of things but if someone IS up to no good they dont have to think on their feet, they have time to craft it and BS them even worse and cant be questioned back till the next email. IM is live, its great for the models that are online once or twice a week or suck at returning emails in a timely matter. I recomend that every single model not only has at least one IM service but makes sure to communicate with EVERYONE they intend on working with via all three mediums (mostly IM) and save all conversations (copy/paste) for their own safey and security. Anything advice to the contrary is ridiculous and takeing an unnecassery risk to avoid having to chat with someone for a few minutes online to figure out their a bad seed.

Jan 07 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

IM is just a tool and any tool can be abused.  Telling people not to use IM because it can be abused is like saying matches should be banned because they cause arson. 

There will always be stupid people and I refuse to be limited by them.

Kurt

Jan 07 06 10:29 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

I personally hate it when random people IM me and oftentimes I can't identify the person. You wouldn't post your phone number in a public forum where nearly anyone can be listed, so why post the im?

IM can be a useful tool and noone's saying that you should NEVER have IM conversations, just that IM info should be given out after there is a certain level of trust and feeling that the other person is legit.

Jan 07 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

- null -

male-portfolios wrote:
They're all using and prefer to use Instant Message programs to communicate with them prior to the shoots.  This way, when questions get asked about what was said leading up to the event, the model has to rely on memory.

Duh. Are you completely computer illiterate?

IMs are GREAT because you can SAVE them as text files and NOT rely on memory.

Your arguement is completely invalid because your information is utterly false.

As for it being a favorite tools of weirdos, that is VERY true. I use it all the time!

Jan 07 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Duh. Are you completely computer illiterate?

IMs are GREAT because you can SAVE them as text files and NOT rely on memory.

Your arguement is completely invalid because your information is utterly false.

As for it being a favorite tools of weirdos, that is VERY true. I use it all the time!

eh heh, he said utterly

Ok, no more coffee. I swear!

Jan 07 06 01:31 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I personally feel a lot safer giving out my IM names rather than giving my phone number out to someone I don't know. I've had experiences where photographers have given my number out to people who I didn't want it to go to... then three days after I shoot with them I end up getting unsolicited phone calls from people that I don't know.

Basically though, it's the intrusion into my everyday life that I don't like... just because you have nothing to do doesn't mean you should call me...

I use the phone only when necessary.. when I'm stuck in traffic and may be late or if I get lost.. the rest of the time it's email or IM.

Jan 07 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Brandy wrote:
I personally feel a lot safer giving out my IM names rather than giving my phone number out to someone I don't know. I've had experiences where photographers have given my number out to people who I didn't want it to go to... then three days after I shoot with them I end up getting unsolicited phone calls from people that I don't know.

Basically though, it's the intrusion into my everyday life that I don't like... just because you have nothing to do doesn't mean you should call me...

I use the phone only when necessary.. when I'm stuck in traffic and may be late or if I get lost.. the rest of the time it's email or IM.

Ill give you mine if you gimme yours smile

Jan 07 06 01:35 pm Link