Forums > General Industry > Make up Question

Photographer

LaMarco Photography

Somersworth, New Hampshire, US

Have any pro worked with Emani make up and what do you think?
I was impressed, but being a guy and all, what the hell do I know about make up?

I am looking to get a gift for someone starting out as an MUA.

Jan 04 06 05:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

LaMarco Photography wrote:
I was impressed, but being a guy and all, what the hell do I know about make up?

huh i dont belive i have heard of this product , but as a professional if anyone gave me make-up I would be so happy, even if its something to try out I love finding bargins too, A really super gift for a new make-up artist is Brushes, get her a couple of nice high end ones with longer handels and if you can a nice brush roll is a super gift aswell, these are things that she can use "for ever" and unlike make-up dont dissapera after a while.  I have 2 brushes that belonged to my grand mother and when she passed away I was given all of her make-up and products, The two brushes  are my favorites and I use them often, A brush is a very nice gift, just  check out the bristles , they shouldnt shed too much, the ferrel(silver or gold metal peice that hold the brush head to the handle. ) shouldnt be  dented, and a professional brush should have a longer handel.
Hope this helps smile

Jan 04 06 07:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

I have never heard of the product myself

Jan 04 06 09:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

tamra o

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm thinking you mean "Iman"?  Specifically formulated for coloured skin.  I've never used but have heard good things.

Jan 04 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Maybe this would be a good place to ask...

I'd like to carry some sort of anti shine power that does not reflect light like shimmer....it must be neutral in color as well.

I've shot a few models that during the session they get shiney and I have to adjust lights.

Thank you,

Craig

Jan 04 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I don't know nothing for makeup, but I found this:  www.emani.com

Jan 04 06 11:51 pm Link

Model

nish 24

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm not good with make up really, and my photographer scares me because she uses real paint brushes ( they are nice n soft though) but she comes at my face with like 30 of them O_O

serves me for dealing with someone that also paints in their spare time lol

Jan 05 06 05:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

nish 24 wrote:
I'm not good with make up really, and my photographer scares me because she uses real paint brushes ( they are nice n soft though) but she comes at my face with like 30 of them O_O

serves me for dealing with someone that also paints in their spare time lol

oh gosh i hope she has differnt ones for the face  than what she uses to paint with. because acrylic and oil paints contain toxins that can cause your skin to become irritated and even break out.

Jan 05 06 12:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

La Lauren

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

iman foundations are amazinggggg!
thats my opinion.

the finish is just beautiful.

Jan 06 06 12:45 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

oh gosh i hope she has differnt ones for the face  than what she uses to paint with. because acrylic and oil paints contain toxins that can cause your skin to become irritated and even break out.

Just a minor comment. Most acrylics sold in North America anymore do NOT contain toxins, though they are not skin safe. Oil paints still carry toxins though, and should be nowhere NEAR makeup. (Besides the oil residue in the brush would probably make the brush unusable for water based product anyway!)

Jan 06 06 01:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Julie Pope

Brooklyn, New York, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

I'd like to carry some sort of anti shine power that does not reflect light like shimmer....it must be neutral in color as well.

I've shot a few models that during the session they get shiney and I have to adjust lights.

Thank you,

Craig

Transulent powder works well on all skins. I like Laura Mercier loose setting powder(in translusent of course).

-Julie

Jan 06 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Julie Pope wrote:
Transulent powder works well on all skins. I like Laura Mercier loose setting powder(in translusent of course).

Thank you thank you thank you

xoxoxox (kinda, since I don't know you)
   -Julie

Jan 06 06 03:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

Just a minor comment. Most acrylics sold in North America anymore do NOT contain toxins, though they are not skin safe. Oil paints still carry toxins though, and should be nowhere NEAR makeup. (Besides the oil residue in the brush would probably make the brush unusable for water based product anyway!)

Very true but some ppl have old acryilcs and they contain alot of amoniya (sorry I cant spell today)  that if used around the eyes can cause more irritation than eyelash glue or latex its self.

Jan 06 06 07:44 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

LaMarco Photography wrote:

Jan 07 06 12:07 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

how about a gift certificate?

Jan 07 06 12:09 am Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Thank you,

Craig

You can ask Mary for confirmation...but I never buy/use any loose translucent powder that contains mica...because it acts like a mirror and reflects light back at the lense and ruins the shots.  And it is always better to TRY using blotting tissues on the shiny area FIRST and then if it still looks a bit shiny, a light whisk of translucent powder with a clean brush on JUST the shiny area will do the trick. wink

Jan 07 06 12:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Thank you,

Craig

I use Blot Powder from MAC. You can layer it on and it wont cake up or add texture.

Jan 07 06 01:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dontinelle

New York, New York, US

Roshar wrote:
I use Blot Powder from MAC. You can layer it on and it wont cake up or add texture.

Sorry, Craig, meant to include your quote too!  i agree with Roshar.  I've used blot powder to manage shine on actors on a 15 shooting day, and it never reflects light.  it really doesn't have any pigment, so there is no way for it to build up.  it's kinda like baby powder, it just absorbs.

Jan 08 06 09:47 pm Link