Forums > General Industry > Meet and Greets?

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Hey there, not sure what section to post this, so shooting for General.  wink

So, I've been thinking about holding a meet and greet for the locals in my area...but wanted to find out some details!

First off, do you think M&G's are worth the time and energy?  It seems like they are, giving people a chance to get together in a single place and time and get to know each other and network and such!

Second, for those of you that have held one, what is necessary?  What kind of space are we talking?  How long should one be?  What kind of advance notice?

Third, I'd like to allow people to shoot at the M&G, if they are so inclined...so should there be a charge at the door?  Or should there be a charge only if you want to shoot?  Or any charge at all?

Is there any other suggestions you have?  What kind of successes or failures have you witnessed or been a party to?  wink

Thanks for any info you can share!  And happy new year to all!
~Jer

Jan 03 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

I've been thinking of doing a similar thing, but more of a "congrats and thanks" to everyone who has helped me so far in getting my business promoted and set up.

This would include models/stylist/MUA I have worked with to date.

M&G with people bringing samples of work to drool and inspire over would be great too.

Jan 03 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

wirehead arts

Sunnyvale, California, US

I dono.  I avoid M&G styled events as a general rule because most of them seem to be GWC-fests.

Jan 03 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

wirehead arts wrote:
I dono.  I avoid M&G styled events as a general rule because most of them seem to be GWC-fests.

So what about removing the picture taking aspect?  It would simply be that...a meet'n'greet.  No cameras allowed, though portfolios more than welcome.  A way for people in this area to get together, meet one another, make plans and such if that works out for them...

~Jer

Jan 03 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Ross

Naperville, Illinois, US

I enjoy meet 'n greets.  But I always like meeting new people.  Find a nice place with food, and enough room where you can pull a few tables together.  You might want to avoid a bar, because you'll have a number of folks under 21 that can't get in.

I'd say avoid the picture taking aspect.  Let people just come and have fun.  Most people will find others there that they'd like to work with and set something up for another day.  Oh, and ask people to bring their portfolios.  At one of the Chicago meets I really liked seeing all the work that everyone else has been doing.  People put stuff in their ports that never make it onto the web.

Jan 03 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

wirehead arts wrote:

Not all Meet N Greets are GWC fests. Up here in the Seattle area, there is a M-N-G hosted by a photographer every month for nearly a year. And each month it is progressively larger than the previous meeting.

We do have photographers with more than a years experience but there have been accredited Makeup artists who have been in attendance. Not to mention the models with different backgrounds.

Also, theres usually backdrop sets and lights preset for people who want to do test shots with models. The lighting is generic but is always moved around depending on each photogs different style or like.

Jan 04 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Digital Dragon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I host a "meet and greet" every other month, and have had moderate success.  The key is keeping everyone updated fully, as I learned from the second installment. 

Beyond that, if you can get everyone together, it is a lot of fun.  My meet and greets aren't a shootout- simple a meetup at a lounge, and everyone shares portfolios, and chats. 

I've been lucky not to have a "gwc" fest- so I think it's worth it.  The best way to go is to make it free if you don't have to rent the venue.  I was lucky enough to meet someone who let us use the venue free of charge, so everyone just pays for drinks.  If you have to charge, keep it cheap ($5-15).  I hope it goes well for you!  It all turns out based on how you run it. smile

-isis-

Jan 04 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Digital Dragon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

lol- i didn't realize i was on my husbands screen name, lol.

Jan 04 06 01:36 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

bump.

Jan 04 06 02:15 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Isis wrote:
bump.

??? it was at the top of the section already.  ?

Jan 04 06 02:23 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

lol... i know, sorry.  I just wanted to bump it back on the front page- I thought it was a good topic. *lowers head in shame*

-isis- wink

Jan 04 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Cool, thanks for the great advice everyone!  Definitely going to look into it, and see what I can make happen! 

big_smile
~Jer

Jan 04 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Absinthe Photography wrote:
Hey there, not sure what section to post this, so shooting for General.  wink

So, I've been thinking about holding a meet and greet for the locals in my area...but wanted to find out some details!

First off, do you think M&G's are worth the time and energy?  It seems like they are, giving people a chance to get together in a single place and time and get to know each other and network and such!

Second, for those of you that have held one, what is necessary?  What kind of space are we talking?  How long should one be?  What kind of advance notice?

Third, I'd like to allow people to shoot at the M&G, if they are so inclined...so should there be a charge at the door?  Or should there be a charge only if you want to shoot?  Or any charge at all?

Is there any other suggestions you have?  What kind of successes or failures have you witnessed or been a party to?  wink

Thanks for any info you can share!  And happy new year to all!
~Jer

Hello all,
I would like to thank Rick (RO) for posting to this thread.
I'm the host of this networking event in the Seattle area and would like to add to the list of reasons our meetings are a success.

As Rick mentioned the numbers have steadily increased over the months and we seem to be leveling off around 40-45 members each meeting.

I would like to address a few of the questions regarding who and why hold a meet and greet for photographers, models, makeup artist and stylist.

How do you set up a networking event?
Team work is paramount. It takes a few people that are goal orientated to pull together and get the word out to the selected audience you wish to attract.
Emails, casual conversations, talk to other professionals at other seminars or artist gatherings and invite them.
I always say, “I didn’t put the meeting together aloneâ€?.

What kind of space
I’ve held the meetings in a warehouse, and a defunct restaurant that will seat about 80 people.
We will have two studio sets complete with strobes and backdrop at each meeting.

Photographers are encouraged to shoot
One of the main ideas behind holding a networking event was to bring models and photographers together face to face in a neutral setting so they could test shoot and talk to see if there is a good enough feeling to set up a follow-up shoot.
How many times would you like to shoot with a certain model or photographer and the timing wasn’t right or you would rather meet and talk first?
The meeting takes care of that nicely.

Should you charge a door?
I don’t charge for my meet and greet.
I have left a donation jar out to help defray the cost of some food/soda that was bought out of pocket.
I do pay rent on the building I use, so it’s not a free ride. There will be some cost incurred and you will have to make up your mind to either bite the bullet or ask for help with a door cost.
Our meetings are set on the second Saturday of each month and start at 6pm, we started to run it as an open potluck style meeting so some people will be able to snack while there.

There is another option and that is to license your self as a non-profit organization, in that you would be able to use some community centers in your area for free. There is a draw back for this route in that most community centers close at about 10pm. Witch leads me to the length of time a meeting should be.

How long should the meeting be?
Our meetings run 5 hours long.
Well kind of…it’s 5 hours from the scheduled starting time until the equipment is broken down and the lights are turned off. We talk for about an hour, maybe more. Introductions and topics of discussion, then we break up and start shooting while members mingle and chat.
Remember when I said I don’t do this alone? There are several members of my group that donate time and equipment to make the magic happen.
I have two photographers (Donald & Rod) that bring their lights to every meeting, one photographer (RO) that helps recruit new members, types up spread sheets and helps organize, one model/makeup artist (Meehshel) that helps with most all my typing and clerical type duties. If not for all the help and support I get from the group members, the meetings would not be as successful as they are.

I try to send out the invitation 2 weeks in advance, (key word is try)

Draw backs
Parking is our only issue.

I’m open for questions via email, I might not see a question if you ask it on this thread.

Craig

Jan 04 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

they started a monthly one in ATL back in 2001, it's still going strong. I had a lot of fun attending these events because you could "let your down" and just be yourself without the pressures of shooting.

It was great there, because all types of people attended. from the HIGH fashion to the GOTH.

Jan 04 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
they started a monthly one in ATL back in 2001, it's still going strong. I had a lot of fun attending these events because you could "let your down" and just be yourself without the pressures of shooting.

It was great there, because all types of people attended. from the HIGH fashion to the GOTH.

That’s very encouraging.
We get kind of the same mix even with some published photographers shooting with the newer shooters (myself).

Jan 04 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

vDigipixels

Seattle, Washington, US

These Seattle M&G meetings have been a real treat. Kudos go out to Craig and the boys for setting these up and being diligent enough to keep them going in spite of the challenges.

Are they worth the time and hassle?  Oh yes…very much so. It is especially valuable for a part-time shooter like me. My busy like makes it difficult to adequately network online, so an event like this is very beneficial to all involved. Like someone else mentioned before, I've seen some extremely talented and creative people at these events. If I hang out with them enough, I may be inspired enough to transform my boring portfolio into something of merit.

Craig facilitates a great event, so if you're within driving distance, make very effort to be there!

Jan 04 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

vegasmusicandfilm

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Greetings Jeremy
I host a M&G in Las Vegas once a week at the college sports bar "Cheer's" that I also bartend at. Its every Saturday 5pm till ???? So you can always make it to one anytime throught out the month. During the day I teach a fashion photography course @ UNLV and my students also attend. I feel my event should be free to the public, one reason is I have gaming so I can't charge a door fee. Next I don't promise much, but I still come though an have a M&G every week. Everyone welcome photographers, models,MUA's, etc, etc,. I encourge everyone to bring a camera, their book, or laptops to share, show, and discuss and even shoot. Its open the public as always 24 hrs we never close or have a last call. There's no pressure but plenty of fun and libation. You do have to show I.D. and be 21 or older. Sorry but it is Las Vegas. I used to have an all ages M&G on the Las Vegas strip called "The Las Vegas Strip Bikini Photo-Shoot" that ran from 1992 to 2000 every Sunday without a break. You can see pics from that on www.vegasbikinicafe.com. At first I started charging $15.00 to shoot the models. It become a media circus thru the years. Thanks to TV Shows "Hard Copy", "A Current Affair"  and "Extra".  Good luck to you and all your photography endeavor's.

Jan 04 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Demri

Seattle, Washington, US

I like the meet and greets that Craig hosts.  Its a nice chance to actually meet the photographers and models.  A lot of people you only know by name or alias.  I really dont know about charging money, though, but thats just me.

Jan 04 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Art

Seattle, Washington, US

Cheers!
Yes!It's well worth it!I held an "Alt" Photographer and Model's meet n' greet in
2003 and 2004("Femme Fatale Seattle") before converting it into a column(for the
time being) in a local Alternative paper in 2005/6.

If anything,people get to meet face-to-face,check out portfolios and get to have their picture taken in a supportive environment.Additionally,it gave newer Photographers a chance to learn from the seasoned pros as well as experiment with honing their skills.
As far as the pro-shooters went-the event gave them another oppurtunity to further
promote their own work.So really it worked out for the novice and skilled alike.For the
Models-again it gave them a chance to network/promote and get some shots taken.
For the record-particularly if the Model was inclined to more risque' material-the event provided a safe place to do so in(when promoting the event I did ask that the Models respect each other's choices in the content they chose to do).

Seattle is fortunate in that there's alot of Model/Photographer events(Thanks Craig!)
to participate in and these events can be calibrated to the type of crowd you want!
Cheers in advance!

Jan 04 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Richard Art wrote:
Cheers!
Yes!It's well worth it!I held an "Alt" Photographer and Model's meet n' greet in
2003 and 2004("Femme Fatale Seattle") before converting it into a column(for the
time being) in a local Alternative paper in 2005/6.

If anything,people get to meet face-to-face,check out portfolios and get to have their picture taken in a supportive environment.Additionally,it gave newer Photographers a chance to learn from the seasoned pros as well as experiment with honing their skills.
As far as the pro-shooters went-the event gave them another oppurtunity to further
promote their own work.So really it worked out for the novice and skilled alike.For the
Models-again it gave them a chance to network/promote and get some shots taken.
For the record-particularly if the Model was inclined to more risque' material-the event provided a safe place to do so in(when promoting the event I did ask that the Models respect each other's choices in the content they chose to do).

Seattle is fortunate in that there's alot of Model/Photographer events(Thanks Craig!)
to participate in and these events can be calibrated to the type of crowd you want!
Cheers in advance!

Thank you for the post Richard!!

It was after attending your event in Sept 2004 at the Richard Hugo house that I started thinking what a great idea that was.

Being a brand new photographer as well as not knowing but 2 people in the artist community (Richard and Jeanny K), I was stuck at trying and trying to get the word out there that a networking meeting was taking place.

I started in Seattle with no luck at all and then took like 6 month off promoting the meet and greet, then in June 2005 when I held a meet n greet at Intencities studio in Kent WA. and from there it's just kept getting better each time.

Jan 04 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Demri wrote:
I like the meet and greets that Craig hosts.  Its a nice chance to actually meet the photographers and models.  A lot of people you only know by name or alias.  I really dont know about charging money, though, but thats just me.

Thank you Demri. I think you may be the most photographed model that our meet and greet has.

I want to say you've met and shot with like 12 different photographers in only 4 meetings?

Correct me if I'm wrong here

Jan 04 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

MM # 5504

Bob C.  has a model hangout that is a meet and greet type of thing in San Jose CA.
I have gone a few times it is a great way to meet photographers/models  in person.  it really depends on the quality of people you get. Gwc's do show up and so do brand new web cam girls as well. I have spent most of my time at the table chatting with some great photographers and looking at portfolios.

You can do group shoots if you like but you do not have to.

I like meeting in person before commiting to a big shoot.

Jan 04 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

RLCunningham

Seattle, Washington, US

Vaughn wrote:
Are they worth the time and hassle?  Oh yes…very much so. It is especially valuable for a part-time shooter like me. My busy like makes it difficult to adequately network online, so an event like this is very beneficial to all involved. Like someone else mentioned before, I've seen some extremely talented and creative people at these events. If I hang out with them enough, I may be inspired enough to transform my boring portfolio into something of merit.

Craig facilitates a great event, so if you're within driving distance, make very effort to be there!

Jan 04 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

RLCunningham

Seattle, Washington, US

Vaughn wrote:

Vaughn:

I have to fully agree!  Like yourself and so many others, I’m a part-time shooter, full time employee, full time husband and full time father.  The part-time shooter life makes it difficult to network and meet other professionals in the industry.

Before I became involved with Craig and his group, my studio lights sat in the garage, retail film was all I ever purchased and the thought of shooting the images I desired to shoot was only a dream.

Since I’ve begun attending these M&G’s…
…the lights get used no less than once a month, though often two to three.
…I’ve went back to pro film and re-established my dying relationship with a pro lab.  …I’ve purchased a digital camera to assist those who prefer digital negs &/or instant results.  ( much faster than the neg scanner too! )
…I’ve established a relationship with a “muse coupleâ€? that allows me to experiment various style.  ( would have never had the courage to ask without the positive support of the meet and greet folks )
…I’ve received e-mails from two models that wish to shoot with me, that I would have never met otherwise because of life style and age differences.

Are the meet and greets worth it? Well … if you still ask …for you they probably are not.

Kudos to Craig, photogs, models, MAU’s, friends and family at the NWPhotoExchange!

Jan 04 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Hello all,
I'm the host of this networking event in the Seattle area and would like to add to the list of reasons our meetings are a success.

As Rick mentioned the numbers have steadily increased over the months and we seem to be leveling off around 40-45 members each meeting.

I would like to address a few of the questions regarding who and why hold a meet and greet for photographers, models, makeup artist and stylist.

Team work is paramount. It takes a few people that are goal orientated to pull together and get the word out to the selected audience you wish to attract.
Emails, casual conversations, talk to other professionals at other seminars or artist gatherings and invite them.

What kind of space
I’ve held the meetings in a warehouse, and a defunct restaurant that will seat about 80 people.
We will have two studio sets complete with strobes and backdrop at each meeting.

One of the main ideas behind holding a networking event was to bring models and photographers together face to face in a neutral setting so they could test shoot and talk to see if there is a good enough feeling to set up a follow-up shoot.
How many times would you like to shoot with a certain model or photographer and the timing wasn’t right or you would rather meet and talk first?

I have left a donation jar out to help defray the cost of some food/soda that was bought out of pocket.
I do pay rent on the building I use, so it’s not a free ride. There will be some cost incurred and you will have to make up your mind to either bite the bullet or ask for help with a door cost.
Our meetings are set on the second Saturday of each month and start at 6pm, we started to run it as an open potluck style meeting so some people will be able to snack while there.

There is another option and that is to license your self as a non-profit organization, in that you would be able to use some community centers in your area for free. There is a draw back for this route in that most community centers close at about 10pm. Witch leads me to the length of time a meeting should be.

Well kind of…it’s 5 hours from the scheduled starting time until the equipment is broken down and the lights are turned off. We talk for about an hour, maybe more. Introductions and topics of discussion, then we break up and start shooting while members mingle and chat.
Remember when I said I don’t do this alone? There are several members of my group that donate time and equipment to make the magic happen.
I have two photographers (Donald & Rod) that bring their lights to every meeting, one photographer (RO) that helps recruit new members, types up spread sheets and helps organize, one model/makeup artist (Meehshel) that helps with most all my typing and clerical type duties. If not for all the help and support I get from the group members, the meetings would not be as successful as they are.

Draw backs

I’m open for questions via email, I might not see a question if you ask it on this thread.

Craig

Parking the only issue??????? 

WTF?

How about Tacoma traffic and the lack of a beer opener????

LOL

Actually, Craig does a wonderful job at organizing a local meet and greet, nothing but a great group of people and an outstanding opportuinty to meet new friends and see what others are shooting with, tips, etc...

Jan 04 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

PDXImaging wrote:

WTF?

LOL

Actually, Craig does a wonderful job at organizing a local meet and greet, nothing but a great group of people and an outstanding opportuinty to meet new friends and see what others are shooting with, tips, etc...

LMAO - Gordon, your check is in the mail....

Jan 04 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

PDXImaging wrote:

WTF?

LOL

I thought photographers from Portland just opened things with their teeth LOL

Jan 04 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Hello all,
Craig

Thanks Craig but Im just a small cog in the machinery. Im just glad to help.

Jan 04 06 11:56 pm Link

Model

Meeh shel

Olympia, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Hello all,

What kind of space

Draw backs

Craig

I enjoy going to the meetings myself. I like the idea of people getting together and helping each other out, especially if you're someone who is serious about somehow learning the ropes in/about the industry. Because we have such a wide range of individuals (ranging from the new shooters to the pros) that have been in attendance at the last couple of meetings, it's given me a good opportunity to find out about different aspects of the industry and not just the modeling side.

I also like how we have 'group topic discussions' for each meeting we attend. Craig will come up with an idea or question he'd like to know more about and ask everyone what they're opinions on the matter are. Some of the examples of our topic discussions are even topics that I've seen talked about here on the forums at times. It's great to be able to have a group discussion in person on who feels strongly about what and voice their opinions, but not in a rude/downer type way.

smile Just my two cents smile

Jan 05 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Awesome!  So much great info!

I definitely feel that holding a M&G around my local area would be beneficial, and a ton of fun!

Thanks for all of the advice...it definitely helps me narrow down what I have to do, and where I should have it, etc etc...

I'll let you all know how it goes!  big_smile  Thanks again!
~Jer

Jan 05 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Absinthe Photography wrote:
Awesome!  So much great info!

I definitely feel that holding a M&G around my local area would be beneficial, and a ton of fun!

Thanks for all of the advice...it definitely helps me narrow down what I have to do, and where I should have it, etc etc...

I'll let you all know how it goes!  big_smile  Thanks again!
~Jer

I really hope you follow the idea and some of the suggestions posted here.

Good luck with your dreams,
Craig

Jan 09 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Craig Thomson wrote:
I really hope you follow the idea and some of the suggestions posted here.

Good luck with your dreams,
Craig

Definitely!  It's currently in the works, and I'm looking for a location to host it at!

Thanks again to everyone who lent their 2 cents (or more)!
~Jer

Jan 09 06 01:48 pm Link