Forums > General Industry > the acceptable prejudice

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

fat folks...until i see more models of stature, i say this whole board perpetuates the bias towards people of size.

Jan 03 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

BCG wrote:
fat folks...until i see more models of stature, i say this whole board perpetuates the bias towards people of size.

HUH?

a bias TOWARDS people of size?

Jan 03 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

HUH?

a bias TOWARDS people of size?

yep...that is right.

Jan 03 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

BCG wrote:

yep...that is right.

example?

Jan 03 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

special laws have been created to protect the rights of minorities and gays, but it is still an acceptable practice to discriminate against a gal of substantial girth.

Jan 03 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

See, I only discriminate against the terminally stupid...

Jan 03 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

BCG is great.  He makes my rants look good.

Jan 03 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

My fiance is full figured. One of her jobs which involved retail selling at local markets and such actually discriminated against her because of her weight and they openly admitted it. She checked with a lawyer to see if this was legal and it is. The thing behind it is,you cant control what race you are,and according to the law you don`t pick your  sexual orientation,etc
however, theoretically you can control your weight by several means, therefor if you are discriminated against for something you yourself should be able to control, either change it or shut up.strange but true.

Jan 03 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

No such prejudice in my work.  If a model is willing to get naked and tied up, it's all good. 

My motto:  "I shoot who shows up."

Now, all those fashion and glamour guys...they're downright bigoted as far as i can tell.

Jan 03 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

BCG wrote:
special laws have been created to protect the rights of minorities and gays, but it is still an acceptable practice to discriminate against a gal of substantial girth.

ok here's where clarity is important.  you wrote:

BCG wrote:

what is more accurate is that there is a bias "against" people of size.

meaning people are prejudiced AGAINST fat people not towards them.

I agree that there is prejudice against fat people not just on this board but in our society.

Jan 03 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
Now, all those fashion and glamour guys...they're downright bigoted as far as i can tell.

Not this one. There is fashion and glamour for all sizes smile

Jan 03 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

There are some extremely talented models on this site which aren't invisible from the side.  My favorite is Shyly, MM #2809...beautiful pictures, amazing talent.  I think she's got better pictures than a lot of the profiles I've browsed, including my own.

Jan 03 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Dana Nicole wrote:
There are some extremely talented models on this site which aren't invisible from the side.  My favorite is Shyly, MM #2809...beautiful pictures, amazing talent.  I think she's got better pictures than a lot of the profiles I've browsed, including my own.

I friggin adore Shyly..........-sigh- someday shyly, someday! I hate jobs with erratic schedules.

Jan 03 06 12:51 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

photoguy42 wrote:
See, I only discriminate against the terminally stupid...

Classic!!!!

Jan 03 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

BCG wrote:

"Fat folk". Shouldn't you have said "figure challenged", seeing as political correctedness is at the crux of our very survival as a species.

Jan 03 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I friggin adore Shyly

Who DOESN'T adore Shyly?

She's an AWESOME model, very sweet, inspirational, and INTELLIGENT (which is more than I can say for a lot of models on this site and in general).

Jan 03 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Aesa wrote:

Who DOESN'T adore Shyly?

She's an AWESOME model, very sweet, inspirational, and INTELLIGENT (which is more than I can say for a lot of models on this site and in general).

There ARE some who won`t shoot a girl unless they can count her ribs or see hip bones jutting out.

Jan 03 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
There ARE some who won`t shoot a girl unless they can count her ribs or see hip bones jutting out.

I saw one today on here, my friend and I said out loud, "gross".   I do not doubt she thought she had a great body but it was over worked and looked tired and not well.

And no, I will not post a link.   I try not to be cruel just honest.

Jan 03 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Aesa wrote:
She's an AWESOME model, very sweet, inspirational, and INTELLIGENT

Why the caps?  Are you trying to say that it's exceptional for a fat person to have the qualities of being "sweet, inspirational and/or INTELLIGENT"?  Just wondering.

Jan 03 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

William Kious wrote:

Why the caps?  Are you trying to say that it's exceptional for a fat person to have the qualities of being "sweet, inspirational and/or INTELLIGENT"?  Just wondering.

Get a grip.

I think she is just stating that is the most important feature and has more value then being VERY SWEET.

Jan 03 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jack D Trute wrote:

I saw one today on here, my friend and I said out loud, "gross".   I do not doubt she thought she had a great body but it was over worked and looked tired and not well.

And no, I will not post a link.   I try not to be cruel just honest.

I have seen a few pro ana types on here and OMP lately. -shudder-

Jan 03 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Aesa wrote:

Who DOESN'T adore Shyly?

She's an AWESOME model, very sweet, inspirational, and INTELLIGENT

And very near me -sings-

Jan 03 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

BCG wrote:

Ha!  So all Germans are Nazis, right?  wink

Just because there ARE those people out there that wouldn't do a shoot with a plus size model doesn't mean "this whole board" won't, and doesn't. 

I think ALL people are beautiful, and are photogenic...sometimes they aren't all able to do the same picture, but that's what's beautiful...variety.

I really don't get the whole "let's say everyone feels some way" when you can't possibly have ever spoken with everyone on this board to find out if they are biased against "fat folk".

*shrugs*  What can I say, people have opinions...you're free to yours, but don't be surprised if you're wrong.  wink
~Jer

Jan 03 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

William Kious wrote:

I think it's exceptional for ANY person to have such qualities.  They are rare, and Shyly is a gem among the humans.

Jan 03 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Who here takes offense when you hear someone stereotyping fat people?  Who walks away from - or refuses to listen to - a fat joke? 

If someone says something negative about a person of color, they're a "racist".  Have any of you ever stood up for the "fat person" in a similar way?  Do you call-out the bigot?

If someone slams homosexuality, then they are an "intolerant asshole".  The general consensus in these situations is, "to each their own" or "live and let live" - it's biological, not a "choice".

Yes, it is an acceptable prejudice.  65% of us in the United States are fat - but it's still okay to hate, denigrate and belittle fat people.  Why is that?

Jan 03 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

William Kious wrote:
Who here takes offense when you hear someone stereotyping fat people?  Who walks away from - or refuses to listen to - a fat joke?

And if any of us have, would that make the stereotyping of this board go away?  hehe, probably not.  wink 

I actually have several friends that could be considered overweight...some are comfortable with that, some are not, but I am supportive of them in either light.  I am their friend for who they are, and not what they look like. 

Hehe, and thankfully they do the same for me!  wink

There are people who are understanding, and there are people who are not.  And in the "not" category, there are definitely those that would go out and make fun of people they don't understand, in this case "fat folk".  That doesn't make them right, it just means that they are that way, right or wrong...but not everyone is like that, even on this board.

As far as the number of plus sized models on here, I'm actually really proud of those that have joined Mayhem, and who continue to be who they are, not what the world in general thinks they should be!  It is true, there ARE a lot of skinny models on here...but the models, large or small, are the ones that joined because they wanted to...not because the people here at Mayhem are bigoted.  *shakes head*

~Jer

Jan 03 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

Coral Weber

New York, New York, US

im a nanny, and i ALWAYS stick up for fat people when the young girls start gossiping, just as i would if i heard them being rascist.  I try to explain to them that most fat people are fat because A. a genetic disorder, health problem etc or B. they are an emmotional eater in which case its not right to tease....im sure there are some who just like to eat..or other reasons for being fat, but i think that people should speak up when they hear people talking shit.... im sure it makes everyone feel a lot better about themselves to make fun, but its just ignorant.

Jan 03 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

No, it's not an acceptable prejudice outside of this industry.  In the non-modeling world, calling someone fat is anathma, but maligning them for being too thin is a-okay.

However, there is more acceptance of overweight models than short models or transgendered models or disbaled models.  This industry wants perfect looking people and being obese is an imperfection.

Jan 03 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Man...

Hmm how do I say anything here... I am a fat person...I was always chubby, I have ALWAYS hated my body except for about 1 year in my life....My lowest weight was 102 pounds, IT HURT to be that skinny. I am only 5' tall so 102 is about my ideal weight according to the bullshit standards...I had 2 children and ballooned to nearly 300 pounds..GOD i cant believe i just typed that...

Well I got really sick about 2 years ago and lost almost 40 pounds..I liked losing that weight because the size 24 jeans that I had bought the fall before wouldn't zip. I remember laying on the bed balling my eyes out cause i was so fat..But I fit into those jeans after being sick for about 2 months and after that I decided to change my life..I went to the gym and to date I have lost around 75-80 pounds...I will NEVER put myself though the pain of being SUPER skinnny again though..I am looking to get down to about 145-150 pounds..which is still considered obese for my height but I look good at that weight...I am happy to announce that I have only about 45 more pounds to go and I am there... I have kept the 75 pounds off for over a year now.

Now I am happy to say that I fit nicely into and 18 and sometimes even 16!!!

Being fat really does not feel good, and when you constantly read posts and watch TV and see all these skinny people being called fat just makes me sick...I dont get mad I just ignore it....the standards in this industry are just rediculous but it is what it is...So as I am shooting the 100 pound models in front of my lens I am so totally aware of my appearance sometimes it is hard for me...But I drag on knowing that one day I wont be seen as fat anymore.

I too adore shyly and I wish I could be happy with my body like she is but for some of us we cant accept it...SHYLY ROCK ON!! I still want to work with you!!!!!!!!!

Jan 03 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

theda wrote:
No, it's not an acceptable prejudice outside of this industry.  In the non-modeling world, calling someone fat is anathma, but maligning them for being too thin is a-okay.

However, there is more acceptance of overweight models than short models or transgendered models or disbaled models.  This industry wants perfect looking people and being obese is an imperfection.

I think they mostly dont like TG`s in the industry is they often have better legs than the biological females lol

Jan 03 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

theda wrote:

I agree that the "norm" of the modeling industry definitely looks for that six foot model that weighs 115 lbs...but fortunately, not all photographers are in the "norm", or even care what the "norm" wants.  I appreciate the photographers and models that realize that photography is an art, not just a magazine advertisement or a paycheck. 

I think there ARE those people out there that want plus sized models, as well as short models, transgendered models, disabled models, etc.  Why?  Because they have a place to be...it's art! 

Hell, my Ambiguity series is based on the idea of transgenderization (hehe, if that's even a real word!)...and that's my out of shape ass in the first of the series!  I've gotten a lot of good response from those, and it's not cause I'm built, or beautiful...but because it's art...hopefully good art!  And hopefully I'll be able to do more, and make even better art! 

Rambling again, aren't I?  wink 

~Jer

Jan 03 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Yeah, I'm in a hard position here, too, because I'm overweight (a size 26-28 by Lane Bryant's standard sizes).

I'm one of those fat people who believes that as long as I think I'm sexy, I am, and damn the man who scoffs at me, because I don't give a rats ass what your perception of beauty is.

I've got beautiful green eyes, long lashes, complexion that most models would pay damn good money for, and soft skin. I'm physically strong, intelligent, and a rational thinker. I'm passionate about what I do, no matter what I do, and on top of all that, I have a husband that adores me and thinks that the blue of the ocean holds nothing on the the little pools of green of my eyes.

So people descriminate against me here and there. Big deal. I just got offered a fantastic job yesterday because of who I am, looks included, but mostly because I'm charismatic, and I have a great attitude. Much better than that job offering $27k, with little benefits, no travel oppourtunities, or room for growth, hmm?

No one can put you down unless you're already down. Beauty is relative, and if you can find yourself beautiful, other people will, too.

Jan 03 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

The industry doesn't say that just because you aren't model material you're automatically "not pretty."

People say that to themselves, people ask me all the time if I think they're model material and when I say no (politely, but we won't go into how I approach that), the standard response is ALWAYS "You mean I'm not pretty enough?"

Everyone here has seen the arguments for why the requirements for modeling are what they are, I won't rehash them, but everyone wants to fit in, and when they don't, they usually feel inferior (or in many cases righteously indignant).

I happen to be one of those guys that only works with fashion models, but EVERYONE in this thread seems to imply that the majority of us do it because we think fashion models are "better."  All I can say to that is "Pull your head out", it's a job, and that's what the job expects.  If you want to make judgements about me based on what I shoot, for a job, you're no better than what you're claiming to be against in this thread in the first place.

I'm not saying everyone feels that way, but the responses thus far in this thread have all suggested to some degree or another that there's something wrong with those who choose to view this as work, not an artistic hobby.

Andy

Jan 03 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
I'm not saying everyone feels that way, but the responses thus far in this thread have all suggested to some degree or another that there's something wrong with those who choose to view this as work, not an artistic hobby.

Andy

Hrm, I hope I didn't come off that way...I totally respect the work aspect of photography, and it's what I hope to make my living off of one day (soon, please!). 

But the idea that all models have to be fashion models is kind of silly, and that's what I was saying, in a nutshell.  There's a place for everyone.  And there's a photographer for everyone, professional, amateur, and the guy/gal who just does it for the art or fun of it!   I view all photographers as artists, whether they're gettin' paid or not.  wink

Um...yup!
~Jer

Jan 03 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Aww man, don't worry people of size feel the need to me that I need to eat a sandwich even if they don't know me. For some reason this is seen as concern for my health than a direct insult about my small frame.

Now my frame has changed alittle, and it's really weird because I am 112 lbs and to get this way I had to eat more, sleep all day and quit exercising. I completely changed my lifestyle from walking all the time to completely inactive. And only now has the comments stopped almost completely.

Jan 03 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Prejudice against anyone for any reason is annoying and stupid.  One of the fastest growing areas of fashion is plus size clothing.  Fashion photographers should get used to the idea of shooting people of all shapes and sizes as apparel companies are spending more time focusing on niche markets these days.

Jan 03 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Prejudice against anyone for any reason is annoying and stupid.  One of the fastest growing areas of fashion is plus size clothing.  Fashion photographers should get used to the idea of shooting people of all shapes and sizes as apparel companies are spending more time focusing on niche markets these days.

Hehe, amen!  "Fat folks" buy clothes too!  wink  And cars, and bikes, and music, and EVERYTHING that EVERYONE ELSE buys!  *snicker* 

~Jer

Jan 03 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

theda wrote:

I'm happy to tie up and photograph a naked skinny person too.  I'm an equal-opportunity pornographer.

Jan 03 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Absinthe Photography wrote:
Hell, my Ambiguity series is based on the idea of transgenderization (hehe, if that's even a real word!)...and that's my out of shape ass in the first of the series!  I've gotten a lot of good response from those, and it's not cause I'm built, or beautiful...but because it's art...hopefully good art!  And hopefully I'll be able to do more, and make even better art! 

Rambling again, aren't I?  wink 

~Jer

I LOVE THOSE SHOTS!!!

Jan 03 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Absinthe Photography

Dee wrote:
I LOVE THOSE SHOTS!!!

Awww!  Thanks!!  big_smile

~jer

Jan 03 06 03:59 pm Link