Forums > General Industry > Style babylon

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I don't know if this was discussed earlier - I couldn't find it in the archives, but today it just came to me, that I have no clue what kind styles exist (photowise) and how they are defined...

I mean there is Glamour, Lifestyle, Artistic Nude, Nude...etc...
But is there something somewhere, which tells me what is what?
There are already some "Glamour Shots" here I would say "Nude" - others are labeled "Fashion" which I would classify "Lifestyle"... Hell, I can't even define the style I use in my portfolio...

Can somebody enlighten me please?

Jan 03 06 07:30 am Link

Model

Dududnej384746

Pol-e H̱umrī, Baġlān, Afghanistan

i would have to agree that I have no idea what they are andit would be interestig to find out.

Jan 03 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Unfortunately, those terms are enigmatic and subjective with hazy borders.  There are few real definitions.  But give me a sec and I'll look for some previous threads.

Jan 03 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Hartsoe wrote:

These are what I have seen them defined as on other sites like OMP and Deviant art
Glamour-t&a(maxim, fhm,etc)
Lifestyle( I do not exactly recall the definition but I believe it is also considered casualwear shots)
Artistic Nude(nude with some actual thought put into the lighting and set up, not meant to cause sexual interest)
Nude(just plain nude)
Fashion (self explanitory I believe)

Jan 03 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=6757

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=8247

Hmmm...I thought I could find more.  All the rest seem to be about defining nudity, implied, sheer, etc.  We've had enough of that.

Jan 03 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Thanks Brian. Yeah - I found the one with the nude, imlied nude...etc myself, but that wasn't exactly what I was searching for. I'll check and recheck the threads you mentioned

But what Glamour wrote comes closer to it. Still it confuses me. Someone once told me that lifestyle is everything which shows you in life situations (e.g. Business woman with a cell talking while in a french style street café). But I have seen these shots and they're also qualify for fashion or glamour...
Or am I wrong? Is this variety that wide that you actually cannot put your finger on it? BTW - have the same difficulties with music...

Jan 03 06 08:12 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

90% of my asleep brian thinks that I should leave this thread here for we will finally have an off topic thread that relates to modeling.

The other half of my brian thinks I should move it to General.

I see Brain has responded so I will leave it here.

(how is that for mod humor?)

Jan 03 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I thought I was your 90% asleep brian.  I'm certainly not 100% awake.  I need some coffee.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=22775

But I'll move it to an on-topic forum, like General Mayhem.  How does that sound?

BD, MM Moderator

Jan 03 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

I'm glad I didn't have to hurt my brian to think about it wink Soo easy to post off-topic...

Jan 03 06 08:49 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I thought I was your 90% asleep brian.  I'm certainly not 100% awake.  I need some coffee.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=22775

But I'll move it to an on-topic forum, like General Mayhem.  How does that sound?

BD, MM Moderator

Wait,  I am dizzy.  Where was this five minutes ago?

Was it here?

Jan 03 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MHana wrote:

Wait,  I am dizzy.  Where was this five minutes ago?

Was it here?

No, it was there.

Jan 03 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Hartsoe wrote:
But what Glamour wrote comes closer to it. Still it confuses me. Someone once told me that lifestyle is everything which shows you in life situations (e.g. Business woman with a cell talking while in a french style street café). But I have seen these shots and they're also qualify for fashion or glamour...
Or am I wrong? Is this variety that wide that you actually cannot put your finger on it? BTW - have the same difficulties with music...

Yeah, there's a lot of overlap, which makes it impossible to draw lines.

Jan 03 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

PHOTOGRAPHIC STYLE TERMINOLOGY:  A series of terms, such as fashion, lifestyle, nude, glamour and artistic which have deliberately been applied in such an inconsistent and random manner that rationale people cannot agree upon their meaning so that any new model can be convined that standing naked in times square with a rose in her teeth is the next groundbreaking fashion statement which would make taking her clothes off acceptable!

I personally think they are now nothing more than arbitrary terms for which none of us could agree upon their specific meanings.

Jan 03 06 09:45 am Link

Jan 03 06 09:52 am Link