Forums > General Industry > Unofficial Survey

Photographer

ShoreShot Studios

Toms River, New Jersey, US

Just out of curiosity (and of course, you don't need to answer), I was wondering if we could sample the models and photogs out here to see how well we are doing as a group (simply repost with your answers filled in) (Moderators - if you feel this is inappropriate, simply delete, but it might help everyone see where they have been and where they are going):

In 2005, did the following apply to you:

I made ______% of my income from photography / modeling.

I [   ]have    [   ] have not recieved any assignments from major publications in the past year.

My equipment cost me roughly $_________

I [   ]have   [   ]have not made this investment in equipment back solely from income derived from photography / modeling.

I feel my photography / modeling career is generally [  ]getting better   [   ]staying the same    [   ]going nowhere

I have roughly earned $_______ from photography / modeling last year.

Based on my past years, I expect my income from photography / modeling to [   ]increase   [   ]stay the same   [   ]go down

What do you see as a major obstacle to succeeding as a photographer / model in today's marketplace? Answer:

Jan 02 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

ShoreShot Studios

ShoreShot Studios wrote:
In 2005, did the following apply to you:

I made 25% of my income from photography / modeling.

I [  X ]have    [   ] have not recieved any assignments from major publications in the past year.

My equipment cost me roughly $15,000

I [  x ]have   [   ]have not made this investment in equipment back solely from income derived from photography / modeling.

I feel my photography / modeling career is generally [ x ]getting better   [   ]staying the same    [   ]going nowhere

I have roughly earned $20,000 from photography / modeling last year.

Based on my past years, I expect my income from photography / modeling to [  x ]increase   [   ]stay the same   [   ]go down

What do you see as a major obstacle to succeeding as a photographer / model in today's marketplace? Answer: Oversaturation of DLSR owners trying to squeeze into the markets that make photographers money.... however, they usually fade out fast, but still steal some thunder from real pros or part-time pros...

Jan 02 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

This will be interesting, although I am not going to participate.

Jan 02 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

ShoreShot Studios

Yeah.... it'll probably die down in about 3 hours, and then disappear.... just wanted to do an unscientific study of those that do this for a living, on any level.  No worries...

Jan 02 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Ehh, I really can't participate. I've only been actively pursuing photography for around 6 months now.

Jan 02 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I made 100% of my income from photography / modeling.

I [   ]have    [ x and I don't care for any] have not recieved any assignments from major publications in the past year.

My equipment cost me roughly $15 000

I [ x ]have   [   ]have not made this investment in equipment back solely from income derived from photography / modeling.

I feel my photography / modeling career is generally [ x ]getting better   [   ]staying the same    [   ]going nowhere

I have roughly earned $75 000 (gross) from photography / modeling last year.

Based on my past years, I expect my income from photography / modeling to [ x ]increase   [   ]stay the same   [   ]go down

Jan 02 06 08:42 pm Link