Forums > General Industry > Helpful cost saving tips

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Tati wrote:

like someone else said, thats a really stupid reason for working out, especially considering the success rate for models. It's "ignorant" for any model to complain about the cost of a gym membership. While a photographer NEEDS equipment, a model doesnt NEED to work out.

A model's body is her or his equipment.  I don't need more than one camera and one lens to be a photographer, but I have all kinds of gear, accessories, and appurenances that help me do my job better.  Working out helps some models do their jobs better.  That makes it a legitimate business expense.

Jan 02 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
A model's body is her or his equipment.  I don't need more than one camera and one lens to be a photographer, but I have all kinds of gear, accessories, and appurenances that help me do my job better.  Working out helps some models do their jobs better.  That makes it a legitimate business expense.

Thank you Brian, you said it best.

Jan 02 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
...but I have all kinds of gear, accessories, and appurenances that help me do my job better

I do as well, conveniently located next to the accoutrements.

Jan 02 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

*any* chance this could get back on topic, or was this post quixotic and stupid?

Jan 02 06 07:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Tati wrote:

like someone else said, thats a really stupid reason for working out, especially considering the success rate for models. It's "ignorant" for any model to complain about the cost of a gym membership. While a photographer NEEDS equipment, a model doesnt NEED to work out.

wow do you ever read what you are writing ? perhaps a lesson should be learned you seen to say stuff on ever post and yet what your saying makes no sense and makes you look stupid and i dont want you to look stupid, well unless you are . But perhaps you didnt notice that this post forum what ever is about saving money and how to do your job but by spending less money. I dont think you should comment unless your coment has something to to with the post or your should atleast read what every one is saying 1st. just a sudgestion..

Back to the topic at hand, I have found an awsome site www.yazmo.com they sell all kinds ok case for make-up, cameras ect. and the prices are really really good infact i just ordered myself a brand new awsome case, smile looks like a big CSI case smile all shinny and silver.. ohh how i love a great deal
another trip too is for models i belive you can get a discount on make-up (but i belive you need to have buisness cards or refernce letters) for places like MAC

Jan 02 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Camera stores sell collapsible reflectors for something like $40.  Auto Zone sells them for $10 for a set of 2.

Paper towels make great gobos as long as you're using strobes and no modeling lights.

Jan 02 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

yeah, this could get back on topic.

Photographers:
For the *very* financially challenged (ME!  I *just* bought my first cheapie studio strobe set for $129) you can use clamplights (the kind with the dome reflector) from Home Depot with a 100 watt bulb for many lighting effects.  As a makeshift diffuser you can make a "diaper" out of white nylon (from Walmart or JoAnn fabrics, in the lining section).  This gives the effect of a very small softbox.
Halogen floodlights work nicely if used with a bounce (a wall, a ceiling, a piece of white foamboard).
You don't need to spend lots of money on backdrops (or use a wronkled up sheet).  Just invest in a few yards each of some nicely colored/textured fabrics from the discount table at any fabric store and pin them to your livingroom curtains.  I really like patterned brocades for rich color and texture.

Models:
For the wardrobe challenged, look around your area for aspiring fashion designers.  they are often willing to send unique clothes for a shoot.  Ask the photographer if he/she would be willing to do a CD trade in exchange for "rental" of clothing.

Jan 02 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Camera stores sell collapsible reflectors for something like $40.  Auto Zone sells them for $10 for a set of 2.

Paper towels make great gobos as long as you're using strobes and no modeling lights.

I got my bounces at the dollar store!  white on one side, silver on the other, sold as a "collapsible sun shade"

Jan 02 06 08:04 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
another trip too is for models i belive you can get a discount on make-up (but i belive you need to have buisness cards or refernce letters) for places like MAC

True. Here's the link : http://www.macpro.com/templates/user/benefits.tmpl

It's not limited to just models though.

Aestheticians, Cosmetologists, Hairstylists, Fashion Stylists, Nail Technicians, Costume Designers, Models, On-Air Talent/Performers, and Photographers receive a 30% discount.

MUA's 40% discount.

Jan 02 06 08:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Envy wrote:

True. Here's the link : http://www.macpro.com/templates/user/benefits.tmpl

It's not limited to just models though.

Aestheticians, Cosmetologists, Hairstylists, Fashion Stylists, Nail Technicians, Costume Designers, Models, On-Air Talent/Performers, and Photographers receive a 30% discount.

MUA's 40% discount.

thanks i knew what discount i get but i didnt know that everone eles got such a great deal too. smile knowlege is power

Jan 02 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
Models:
For the wardrobe challenged, look around your area for aspiring fashion designers.  they are often willing to send unique clothes for a shoot.  Ask the photographer if he/she would be willing to do a CD trade in exchange for "rental" of clothing.

Another great idea. I did this a month ago and it worked out great.

Jan 02 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

I got my bounces at the dollar store!  white on one side, silver on the other, sold as a "collapsible sun shade"

That's awesome!  I only found ones with silver on both sides.  I had considered spray painting different sides black, white, and gold, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I do have a sheer white curtain I picked up at a dollar store that I use for additional diffusion/ND filtration on lights, but sometimes I clip that to a silver reflector and it becomes a white one.

And sometimes I use it as a background.

And sometimes I even use it as a curtain.

Jan 02 06 08:11 pm Link

Model

Tati

Los Angeles, California, US

Envy wrote:

Do you even bother reading posts previous to yours? Apparently not.
I never complained about the cost of a gym membership.
Yes, a model does need to workout at some point.  After a certain age your metabolism slows down. Some more than others. Do you honestly believe that in 10 years your figure is going to look the same without some sort of physical activity?
Frankly I don't give two shits if people think it's "really stupid" to work out to maintain a toned body for reasons other than my health. As I said before, it would be rather silly of me to workout for health reasons when I smoke cigarettes. If I was so concerned about my health I wouldn't be smoking.

I'm well aware of the success rate of web models. I'm not here to be successful. I model as a hobby.

Yes I do...My mother has had 3 kids..and she wears smaller pants than me. She has never worked out in her life....Anyway isnt a REAL model's career over by age 24? Don't give me this "as you age your metabolism slows down" lecture. Yeah it might but it doesnt really have much to do with modeling. Real people models which is the only "real" modeling you can do once you pass your mid 20s dont have to have perfect figures

Again i have a hard time believing that you wouldnt work out if you didnt model.
I'm not just talking about health, all I'm saying is that most people dont work out for their job, they work out for themselves. So many people have gym memberships...and theyre not model, so you cannot for one moment say that a gym membership is an extra cost you have to get through as part of being a model.

Jan 02 06 08:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

i once worked with a photographer who uses regular old umbrellas and he had them in all colours he used them to difuse the light i think, again im not a photographer:)

Jan 02 06 08:34 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Tati if you want to rant send me a private message, I'll be happy to correct you there. I'm keeping my posts here on topic and not arguing with you any further.

Jan 02 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
I save money by not fighting.  Saves on band-aids and hospital bills.
I run fast.

lol...good one...

Jan 02 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Envy wrote:
Tati if you want to rant send me a private message, I'll be happy to correct you there. I'm keeping my posts here on topic and not arguing with you any further.

YAY! Obviously, she is not paying attention to what the thread is about

Jan 02 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

Tati

Envy wrote:

Youre the one who started the "rant" funny how you decided to fight with me but not the other girl who said that saying that exercise is an expense for modeling is ridiculous.

Jan 02 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

pieces of foam core with colored foil on them work well, too smile

Jan 02 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tati wrote:

Youre the one who started the "rant" funny how you decided to fight with me but not the other girl who said that saying that exercise is an expense for modeling is ridiculous.

I been following this girl's posts.. been on here 2 days and already she's fighting everyone. Listen up...

YOU ARE NEW.

Jan 02 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

John Jebbia wrote:

I been following this girl's posts.. been on here 2 days and already she's fighting everyone. Listen up...

YOU ARE NEW.

Hence the new model smell... big_smile

She Is 19!

Good luck getting her to actually hear you!

Jan 02 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

Tati

John Jebbia wrote:

YOU ARE NEW.

youre just mad because i said i didnt like your photos. Sorry for being honest.

Jan 02 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Tati wrote:

You're just mad because....

oh wait, no one knows why you're mad.  Must be adolescence.

Jan 02 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

You're just mad because....

oh wait, no one knows why you're mad.  Must be adolescence.

he he he...This woman is obviously not looking at the threads that have already discovered and addressed many issues that photographers and models face, instead, only choosing to fling words...

Jan 02 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Tati wrote:

No, actually you are clueless.  I really mean that, nothing you have written comes close to any sort of expertise beyond your own simple thoughts.

Spend some time reading and doing some research about the inner workings of what you are trying to explain...you're looking like a fool.

Jan 02 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

1.) ebay is a great source for mid-level light modifiers (reflectors, diffusers, and softboxes).  Make sure that you check seller history though - there are some junk dealers out there.

2.) Furniture and antique stores can sometimes be used for indoor shoots at little or no cost.

3.) Sticking Gummy bears to cellophane makes cheep light gels.

(one of these statements is a lie)

Jan 02 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
1.) ebay is a great source for mid-level light modifiers (reflectors, diffusers, and softboxes).  Make sure that you check seller history though - there are some junk dealers out there.

Yeah it is not bad, but buyer beware. Watch shipping costs as well. I have had good luck with Amnova, but the last thing I got (an octobox) was advertised as including a universal speed ring. No way was it universal. I think for lights, a real place (like adorama) is better.

Jan 02 06 09:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

area291 wrote:

No, actually you are clueless.  I really mean that, nothing you have written comes close to any sort of expertise beyond your own simple thoughts.

Spend some time reading and doing some research about the inner workings of what you are trying to explain...you're looking like a fool.

I compleatly agree with you,as a professional you comments are trtue hinest and acctually have soemthing to do whith the treads

and Tati you should shut up when you dont know what your talking about . and you have been here such a short time you wouldnt want to get kicked off of this site so soon now would you? grow up and be a professional not some spoiled little brat who thinks she is awsome, ohh by the way your not because we can all smell your crap. and that you are full of it.
I am just curiouse why didnt you like area291 's photos and dont just say you just didnt like it. because in the real world life is tough and a "I dont like it" answer doesnt cut it. ohh and try to stay on topic little one, perhaps a great  way for you to save money (cuz thats what this thread is about) is to turn off your computer and stop modeling because being a bitch never reall got anyone a job..

Jan 02 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I am just curiouse why didnt you like area291 's photos

She wasn't commenting on my photos.  I pulled the quote based on the context of her reply.

Jan 02 06 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

ohh i see sorry my bad umm kuz i like your work and i was wondering if she had a actuall comment or just a stupid on im shure it would have been just a stupid comment smile hehehe

Jan 02 06 10:14 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I have a roll of silver insulation stuff I got from home depot. It works as a silver light reflector and it rolls up nice and it is sort of soft so I can lay down on it as well and be more comfy while shooting instead of lying on rocks (ouch)

It is also pretty easy to menuver i see lots of photographers have trouble with the large round things they keep falling, this is long enough i can sort of lean it up against my body while shooting.

Jan 02 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:
Ok...as to both of your laughter points...EVERY MODEL who has EVER tried to justify TFP to me has said their main expense associated with modeling is working out and eating healthy to maintain their look...  Is that some sort of lie?  Am I that gullible? (yes) big_smile

Really? My main expenses are maintaining a flexible, varied wardrobe and skin/hair care.  I don't have a gym membership, but I wouldn't have to pay for one if I wanted it because my brother owns a gym.

Jan 02 06 10:46 pm Link

Model

VettyB

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tati wrote:

Hun, grow up. This isn't high school anymore. I'm the same age as you, but you're in a professional industry, so you need to learn how to act a little more mature. Take people's comments and criticisms into consideration, but don't sink to the level of "you're just mad because..." That's very elementary school ("you're just mad because I won't be your friend" sound familiar?) As to your point about your mother having 3 kids and being small, it's called having a high metabolism. Everyone's is different. Some people gain weight as they get older, and some don't. Get over it.

On to the topic at hand.

I find shopping off season the best way to get clothes. You can get $30 or $40 swimsuits for 10 bucks in late August. Sure, you have to go through a little work finding the right size, but it's definately worth it. Also, there are some great stores out there with inexpensive clothes, like Burlington Coat Factory (yes, they do sell more than coats), TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and K&G. One store I like is actually online:
www.the15dollarstore.com
In case you haven't guessed already, everything is $15. Tops, bottoms, jeans, skirts, shoes, hats, everything. So, that's my two cents...

Jan 03 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

Reflectors: You can pick up "sun shades" for cars from places like Walgreens for a few bucks. They come in your standard silver, gold, and even a few fun colors like purple.

Dollar stores:  If you're the least bit creative, you can find all sorts of bargains here. Currently working on a set of props for an upcoming shoot that started off with things from here.

Off season: Already mentioned, but worth mentioning again. Picked up a 7ft prelit Christmas tree from Walmart at almost 60% off what it sold for the week before.

Jan 03 06 07:10 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:
Models
Don't buy clothing for shoots...borrow it from the store.  Either purchase it on a CC and return it after the shoot, or use those feminine wiles to talk a store manager in to letting you borrow the clothes outright.
Work out cheaper...don't join a gym, just ride a bike, or jog, or whatever else you can do that is not in a gym...most female models don't need to lift weights, so a gym membership is pointless

dude you obviously never worked retail..  thats just wrong..  just buy it then return it.. ive never done that and i dont think that i really could..  dont do that please....

and plus

if you are a serious model who actually persuing it as a career, when you buy clothes for a photo shoot, its a tax write off!  when you buy skin care, tax write off!  when you go the the gym, tax write off! 

and why doesnt any one ever give male models any advice?  not all of them are egotistical pricks... 

smile

Jan 03 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Maybe I should have written a caveat...

I don't give a flying rat's pitute if you don't agree with what I said.  JUST POST YOUR TIPS FOR HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON SHOOT SUPPLIES

I have researched everything I suggested in one way or another, and it is good advice...if you don't agree with it, don't use it.

This has been the "James has now been up for far too long and will pass out soon" moment of the morning (Damned head colds...I can never sleep).  Have a nice day smile .

Jan 03 06 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Has anyone used sheets of insulation instead of foamcore?  Home Depot has big ones (like 8'x4') for $10ish, and they're usually reflective silver.

Jan 03 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Brian Diaz wrote:
Has anyone used sheets of insulation instead of foamcore?  Home Depot has big ones (like 8'x4') for $10ish, and they're usually reflective silver.

are they fiberglass?

Jan 03 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

raveneyes wrote:

are they fiberglass?

Ummm...possibly.  Is that bad?

Jan 03 06 07:36 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:

Maybe I should have written a caveat...

I don't give a flying rat's pitute if you don't agree with what I said.  JUST POST YOUR TIPS FOR HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON SHOOT SUPPLIES

I have researched everything I suggested in one way or another, and it is good advice...if you don't agree with it, don't use it.

This has been the "James has now been up for far too long and will pass out soon" moment of the morning (Damned head colds...I can never sleep).  Have a nice day smile .

lol.  its cool.  i didnt expect for you to understand!  smile  i was just stating my opinion.. and im sure everyone else was too! 

go get some sleep!  and take some medicine!

Jan 03 06 07:46 am Link