Forums > General Industry > Someone Post About Photography, PLEASE!

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

While I occassionally read the most recent posts as they appear on the MM home page, I don't usually reply. The reason is simple, the vast majority of posts on the board (pretty much all of them, in fact) have little or nothing to do with the activity that we all are supposed to be here for.

I consider myself to be on the uphill side of the photographic learning curve and I would love to hear and learn from more experienced photographers about gear, technique, etc. I would also love to hear from the experienced models as to the "technical side" of modeling. Educate me as to what it is to be a model, tell me what is hard for you and what is easy, tell me how to best maximize your talents.

It seems that all I read here are rants about all the "wanna-be photogs and models" (and of course the person posting is NEVER one of those), political statements, GWC accusations, silly demands from both photogs and models and so on. It's really too bad because this place could be so much more than it is.

Please - there are really very few of us here who are in high demand as either photogs or models. If we were, we probably would not be hanging out on an internet model photography site. Maybe a little less "I'm all that" attitude and a little more humility, would go a long way towards creating a place that is a bit more useful to it's participants.

Just a thought for collective consideration.

PS: Not you GWC - you're the MAN! BTW, I have a couple of solid 2-3/4 models and an ass kickin photoshop ar-teest! I guarantee that no one will ever notice the missing teeth! You wanna publish them?

Jan 02 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

See this page

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums.php

and this page

https://www.modelmayhem.com/search.php? … mit=Search

Should be all you need to find answers to all the questions you've posed as well as to find some fascinating threads delving in to the subjects you've always wondered about.

Jan 02 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
The reason is simple, the vast majority of posts on the board (pretty much all of them, in fact) have little or nothing to do with the activity that we all are supposed to be here for.

(1) You must be the ONLY person who knows what activity we are ALL  supposed to be here for.  I don't have a clue what that might be.  Look around.  Also, the name of the place, model MAYHEM ought to suggest something.

(2)  Go to the photography board for photography advice.

(3)  Have fun.

Jan 02 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

NV Style Group

Houston, Alaska, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
I consider myself to be on the uphill side of the photographic learning curve and I would love to hear and learn from more experienced photographers about gear, technique, etc. I would also love to hear from the experienced models as to the "technical side" of modeling. Educate me as to what it is to be a model, tell me what is hard for you and what is easy, tell me how to best maximize your talents.

Ok its goes a lil something like this..............
I am a female and I love to SHOP, not just shop for clothes but shop for information on my craft. When im not shooting Im on the net searching for information on whatever im having issues with, if it be lighting technique or what have you. And if i cant find it on the net I get my happy behind up and head to the nearest Barnes and Noble and see what books I can buy. My point is this...........some photog will help you out to a certain point, but its like a baby learning to walk....at some point imma have to let you go.....
If your fishing for trade secrets from the pros on here, buddy your living a pipe dream........it aint happening

Oh and 2nd of all a model is not suppose to tell you how to maximize her talents, your the photog...your suppose to bring them out of her with what you know....thats where the book.........posing a model...comes in handy
because if you ask a "real" model those questions shes out tha door.....

All im sayin is, do your homework, MM is a good place....but its not the only source for info.

Im a newbie photog 1yr serious and im not saying I know it all b/c i dont, and im not trying to come off ugly, but if theres something you want to know just post it in the photog forum, im sure there are some very nice ppl that will help you out. Im sure of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck, God Bless

Jan 02 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

check out the fashion only forum... some of the same posters... more decorum... more information  www.duroi.com

My biggest problem with talking about photography on the internet(or I suppose in person) is that there is so little that is true.  Its mostly opinions, beliefs, tendencies, trends, none of which apply universally.  and without knowing from which frame of reference the information is going to or coming from makes for lots of miscommunication, or people just looking crazy to each other.

My generic...good for everything advice... Look at stuff. A lot and for a long time, the sooner images stop being "magic" to you and start to be just stack of different elements, the faster you'll be in a position to start teaching yourself.  When that image of a model stops being a pretty girl, when it starts to be a collection of lines, asymmetrical looking face, a wrinkled shirt from last season, a butterfly light with a stop and a half less of fill, you can take whatever image that you can wrangle the logistics for.

There... a post about photography... that is mostly just true.

Jan 02 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

- null -

J Merrill Images wrote:
Please - there are really very few of us here who are in high demand as either photogs or models. If we were, we probably would not be hanging out on an internet model photography site. Maybe a little less "I'm all that" attitude and a little more humility, would go a long way towards creating a place that is a bit more useful to it's participants.

Model Mayhem is the highschool of modeling sites.

Sift through the stupidity, get classes with the cool teachers, hang out with the kids in the cool cliques, and you'll really start to find it is a very fun, useful and educational place.

Jan 02 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Model Mayhem is the highschool of modeling sites.

And gosh darn it,  I am going to do it right this time.

Now where is a cheerleader to suck face with me.

Jan 02 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
It seems that all I read here are rants about all the "wanna-be photogs and models" (and of course the person posting is NEVER one of those)

Irony, such irony...

Jan 02 06 05:07 am Link