Forums > General Industry > very pale girl doing shoot in Mexico in 2 weeks.

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

So, what should I do? I am not a swimsuit model, and even though I am shooting in Puerta Vallarta, I will mainly be doig landscape nudes and not swimsuit. (Unless I am somewhat forced...) However, going somewhere that sunny, I notice I sometimes appear quite blue. What should I do? should I smear fake tan on myself? Should I force my white ass out into the sun naked somewhere...tanning bed (I kind of promised myself I would never do tanning bed)put on 2000 sunscreen and try to stay that ghostly shade of pale? any opinions anyone? I decided to start this as a new thread from the tanlines thread. I also do not like tan lines. Yuck.

Jun 01 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

As someone once said, "Not only no, but Hell, no!"

Do not tan yourself. You are what you are, your look is your look, and unless you plan on radically changing your appearance it makes no sense to shoot tan, assuming you could even do it.

Whoever hired you knows what you look like and they wanted you because of the way you look. Why would you change it? I would advise stocking up on SPF 10K lotion and absolutely minimizing your exposure (cover up in a UV opaque robe when not actually shooting, broadbrimmed hat, the works.)

Incidentally, you might ask the photographer if they're going to shoot any IR images. IR landscapes can be very interesting and it would partially negate any disadvantage, assuming there is some, of your pale skin.

M

Jun 01 05 10:00 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'd say that whether or not to tan yourself is your own decision.  However, I'm assuming your photographer is aware of how pale you are and if he's any good, he has anticipated the challenges and can handle it.  There's various filters or post-process techniques that can be used which can handle the bluish problem.

As hot as it is down there, you'll probably be a little flushed anyway.  The human body's response to heat is to push more blood toward the skin to help with cooling.

Just remember that the sun is a lot harsher there than in the states.  Take lots of sunscreen and use it.  Have fun!  It's a beautiful area.

lb

Jun 01 05 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

It's not your concerned. You were booked, you show up and if they need you to look a certain way, then they can do it before, after or doing the shoot.

The worst thing you can do is try to think for someone else and mess up. You could end up with un-even skin tones which is the worst possible thing a model can have because it becomes a night mare in post production and chances are you won'tget booked again by that client.

Jun 01 05 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Look at it this way. The photographer knew (or should have known) about your pale skin when he booked you. I assume he saw your pix? Maybe he booked you because of your paleness. Maybe he plans on shooting B&W? As a photographer who primarily shoots B&W, I love the way fair skin reacts shows in monochrome. In this day of tans, I love working with unsunned ladies. If your skin ends up looking blue, as you desribed, it's the photogrpahers fault, not yours.

One work of caution, use a world class sun screen, that hot Mexican sun can absolutely cook you!

Jun 01 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Lapis: 
So, what should I do? I am not a swimsuit model, and even though I am shooting in Puerta Vallarta, I will mainly be doig landscape nudes and not swimsuit.

Hello,  hello,

I think sticking out from the background could be used to your advantage not disadvantage.

I say you are beautiful the way you are.

(Mark gives Hana a dog biscuit for realizing that the waterballon laucher needs contrast to confirm coordinates in  Mexico for below the border everything is brown or green.

Hana says "Damn straight,  I am smarter than the average bear.")

Jun 01 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I missed the bus.
Sorry,  we is poor.

Jun 01 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

DO NOT TAN!  It is true that the sun damages the skin. I'm as pale as you are and I had tried tanning ... ended up with freckles! (Connect the dots and I'd be tan!) A tan can be nice as a youth, but in your later years it will show up as early wrinkles.(less it's in your genes) If you are not tan now, why change when the photographer already knows what you look like?

Also if the photographer wants to change your density or skin tone ... he or she can do so with various methods like camera functions and filters. It's not a problem!

Jun 01 05 05:52 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

"Whoever hired you knows what you look like and they wanted you because of the way you look."

AGREED!

I've only tanned two times in my life. I hate the fear of getting sun cancer, wrinkles from the sun. So, I do not tan or even try to.

Jun 02 05 03:25 am Link

Photographer

iAMshado

Ventura, Iowa, US

if your wanted to look tan.... why not try and use a gold reflector that might add a little fake sort of tan look..... just my $.02

Jun 02 05 03:44 am Link

Photographer

stokesfoto

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I'm with the "dont' tan" group.  Why do it if you don't want to?  Besides - you can do so much in post processing that they can makey you look about as tan as they want to (if that's what they're after).

Jun 02 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mike W

Clearwater, Florida, US

If a photographer asked you to model then I would think he knows that you don't have a tan. He may want you the way you are. I would check with him before you do anything. And don't lay out in the sun. If you want a tan get a fake airbrushed tan.

Mike

Jun 04 05 09:11 am Link