Forums > General Industry > how do i get a photo job

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i prefer to shoot for news papers but would be MORE than happy to work in other areas of photography i do NOT wont to open my own business over the years i have applied to MENNY jobs and never get the job i have dun EVERY thing that you are spost to when you go for a job i dress perfanal (i Evin where a "real" tie) i think that i have a half decent resamay http://nathan.artisthome.com/about.htm i get a lot of coplments on my photos so i think that i am ok in my skills i Evin have a way that if i get a photo job to have 1/2 my pay reimbursed for a year if i am hired in VA so what should i do to get a job i really need to know i am really tired of not working in photography

thank you
nathan combs

Jan 01 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

So Hallmark worked out pretty well for you then?

:-)

Jan 01 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

J. Stakeman wrote:

i am VERY happy that i whent there i learned a LOT there i give the school a lot of credit for my photography but not very helpfull in getting work tho

Jan 01 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

quietnow

Am I about to get suckered in to a New Year's prank? I'll tread carefully...

I'm not sure how you have applied, but if you're spelling is anything like what you've demonstrated here, I'd be concerned too.

I like your photos quite a bit. But not sure what positions you've applied for. Maybe if you're showing nudes to a newspaper, I could understand they wouldn't be able to get they're journalistic eyes around it.

Jan 01 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

pkun1 wrote:
Am I about to get suckered in to a New Year's prank? I'll tread carefully...

I'm not sure how you have applied, but if you're spelling is anything like what you've demonstrated here, I'd be concerned too.

I like your photos quite a bit. But not sure what positions you've applied for. Maybe if you're showing nudes to a newspaper, I could understand they wouldn't be able to get they're journalistic eyes around it.

i make shore that every thing is spelled right and i can modify my portfolio to what ever job i am applying for i have a number of sports photo and other news photos if i am applying for a job portrait photographer i bring retouching/restoration work and portrait work i bring a PDA with me i look in to the type of work that the job installs and mach what kind work i would be doing

Jan 01 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Nathan, where were you born?

I detect a sever loss in translation and that could and would be a direct link to any loss of a second chance to prove your worth to a perspective employer.

Without the proper command of the English language, you are not only behind a wall, you are behind others waiting as well.

Jan 01 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Nathan, where were you born?

I detect a sever loss in translation and that could and would be a direct link to any loss of a second chance to prove your worth to a perspective employer.

Without the proper command of the English language, you are not only behind a wall, you are behind others waiting as well.

i was borne in VA, as far as the problem with my english it is only written i have a bad case of a learning disability (ie.. why i can get a 50% discount if some one to heir me) i am very well read just got dun reading "The Art OF War" (good book i recommend it)  and i am known for my ability for intelligent conversation i do make shore things like my resamay looks good

Jan 01 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

If you're trying to get jobs online, your written communication skills are probably holding you back.

This topic would make more sense in the Photographer Talk forum.

Jan 01 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Scary!

Jan 01 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
If you're trying to get jobs online, your written communication skills are probably holding you back.

This topic would make more sense in the Photographer Talk forum.

you have a good point that it would be better in the photographer talk forum i did not think of it, the thing is i have ready mead emails that i use that have been prufed and i have some one proofread all my emails and such before i send them i do not have problems getting editors to publishing my work when i email them just no permanent work   i get more work in fact from my online searches than in person (i give a better interview in person where i can speak more clearly than i can writing) i evin have some ideas on how a photographer can make a LOT of $$$

Jan 01 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

J. Stakeman wrote:

I used to be in a cooperative gallery and one of the artists, she worked in both oils and water coulr, had worked at Hallmark.  She said it was a great job for an artist.  True, they painted cute little yellow ducklings, but it paid well and was steady so they could do on the side what they liked.  How many artists can land a gig like that?  It was, in fact, very competitive.

Jan 01 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

The big problem is that there aren't that many publications that have staffers. Most rely on freelancers or stock to provide their imagery. The only full-time shooting gigs I know of are newspapers, wire services, studios and some corporate jobs. It's the nature of the job. Some love it, some can't handle the uncertainty.

If you plan on trying to get on with a newspaper or work as a PJ, you really need to work on your writing. It is a necessary skill to be able to write out captions.

Eric Foltz

Jan 01 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Ivan123 wrote:

I used to be in a cooperative gallery and one of the artists, she worked in both oils and water coulr, had worked at Hallmark.  She said it was a great job for an artist.  True, they painted cute little yellow ducklings, but it paid well and was steady so they could do on the side what they liked.  How many artists can land a gig like that?  It was, in fact, very competitive.

hallmark ins. of photography is a photo school in ma it dus not have any affiliation with the card co
http://hallmark.edu/

Jan 02 06 06:50 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
The big problem is that there aren't that many publications that have staffers. Most rely on freelancers or stock to provide their imagery. The only full-time shooting gigs I know of are newspapers, wire services, studios and some corporate jobs. It's the nature of the job. Some love it, some can't handle the uncertainty.

If you plan on trying to get on with a newspaper or work as a PJ, you really need to work on your writing. It is a necessary skill to be able to write out captions.

Eric Foltz

the thing is i can write well when i have to i had a job for 5 years that i had to keep very accurate witten records that had to be turned in to state agencies like Medicaid ect... but i can not show any of this to any one because there confidently and believe me if i got them wrong my boss did not get payed their for i would not get payed either so it had to be right no miss spellings and grimmer had to be on point also

Jan 02 06 06:59 am Link