Forums > General Industry > What's the point of bashing ?

Model

TxCiara

Austin, Texas, US

I dont get on the MM forums much, but I read over a few today. It seems like in every other one somebody was attacking another.  One was a person giving constructive criticism and the next reply from the original poster was rude. I thought it made them look ridiculous and showed a real lack of professionalism.
Can someone  explain to me what the point of bashing is ?

Dec 31 05 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

From the movie Clerks:

"There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others."

Dec 31 05 10:32 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I guess it makes the poster feel more secure about his/herself to criticize others.  I don't know.  Your guess is as good as mine.

Dec 31 05 10:54 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

language is used differently by people.  One man's slam is another man's honesty or just pointing out what is false.

Dec 31 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

People often feel "braver" when they can sit in front of a computer and type out insults.  I'd love to see some of the people face to face who say some of the things they do to each other on these forums.  I've been around the internet for a long time and it happens everywhere.  There is always someone who feels the need to make themself look like an idiot.  It's just part of the anonymity of the internet.

Dec 31 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

CiaraK wrote:

There is no point. it is more a matter of "what is permitted to happen will happen". And talking smack/trashing is encouraged here.

Dec 31 05 11:19 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Remember that some people post after work or quickly.   Some people quote too fast before the person has a chance to rethink what has been written.

We are throwing together people who are from different places in the world and with different backgrounds and training.

Having dinner with a family in Naples Italy would be very different than doing so with a family in Ko Sumie,  Thailand.

And if you put the two together it would likely be rather uncomfortable at best.

Dec 31 05 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

A lot of people have to much time on their hands & no life.

Dec 31 05 11:39 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

John Jebbia wrote:
From the movie Clerks:

"There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others."

Spoken like a true man.....haha.

Dec 31 05 11:42 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

The point of bashing, in short:

There is no point other than to make oneself feel above another.

Dec 31 05 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

There is no point. it is more a matter of "what is permitted to happen will happen". And talking smack/trashing is encouraged here.

That says it all.

Dec 31 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

No excuse for any bashing except this .....

Hey all!  Ya'll have a bashing good New Years ya hear!

Dec 31 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Monkeys like to bash things..  (Even me..  See, I just did!)  It's one of our more endearing traits... At least compared to the flinging of poo and the like..

Jan 01 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

That says it all.

Sometimes this place reminds me of the monkey scene at the beginning of 2001 A space Odyssey.

"This is a website for models and photographers to post their pictures and network (read: talk smack) with each other."
It has been said that bashing is not what is meant by "talk smack". But that is most often what it is taken to mean in this country for as long as I can remember.Therefor it`ll keep happening as long as it is encouraged before we even login.

Jan 01 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

isn't this thread bashing "bashing?"

(not that I don't agree with you)

Jan 01 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

bump

May 05 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

CiaraK wrote:
One was a person giving constructive criticism and the next reply from the original poster was rude. I thought it made them look ridiculous and showed a real lack of professionalism.

Bashing... You're soaking in it..

May 05 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
From the movie Clerks:

And that's it in a nutshell.

Edit: Wait...I just read the dates on most of the posts here...talking about digging up the dead.

May 05 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Sometimes it's not even bashing, just a matter of how the person reads it.

May 05 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

CiaraK wrote:

The point?  Hmm, I'm no expert on bashing but I'm willing to bet that whatever the point was of saying...

CiaraK wrote:
I thought it made them look ridiculous and showed a real lack of professionalism.

...would qualify.

May 05 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

May 05 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

CiaraK wrote:
I dont get on the MM forums much, but I read over a few today. It seems like in every other one somebody was attacking another.  One was a person giving constructive criticism and the next reply from the original poster was rude. I thought it made them look ridiculous and showed a real lack of professionalism.

Have you ever flipped someone else off in the car? Pretty much the same thing. I think alot of the bashing that goes on here wouldn't be said to someone's face.

May 05 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

CiaraK wrote:
Can someone explain to me what the point of bashing is?

Pretty pointless I'd say... especially when you consider the fact that if your observed as a constant basher... with complaints received... you may just find your ass bashed right outta here... wink

May 05 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Another point-vehement anti-(fill in the blank)crusaders out there could very well be trying to cover their own discrepancies in that area.

May 05 06 05:36 pm Link