Forums > General Industry > orlando...anyone?

Hair Stylist

Angelica Chrysler

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am thinking about moving to Orlando within the next year and I would like for anyone familiar with the city to give me any insight on either the best salons or the industry available out there! I'm trying to do my homework before I go and would love to expose myself to the best of what the city has to offer! Any input would help! Thank you for your time!
Angelica

Dec 30 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Why would you move to orlando? When you have Miami 4 hrs south of Orlando and I think Miami has a bigger fashion/modeling industry than orlando.

Dec 30 05 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Dax wrote:
Why would you move to orlando? When you have Miami 4 hrs south of Orlando and I think Miami has a bigger fashion/modeling industry than orlando.

Ditto.

I go to Orlando on business two or three times a year. Other than the theme parks is a waste.

Go to Miami if you are serious about doing some business.

M

Dec 31 05 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Orlando Bites the the royal big one.

Theres not much here unless you want to be a tile setter or compete with every other joe blow that thinks he is an expert with a tool box.

This is the worst place I have ever lived in my 47 years of existance.
I have been all over the United States and this is the worst.

No offense to any race but if you are going to move to florida, Orlando to be exact, you had better learn Spanish. And Miami aint gonna be any better.

I have seen countless people move to Florida/Orlando and starve and then cant get out.

I myself am outta here as soon as my kids are out of school.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but this place BLOWS.

Happy New Year Everyone.

Dec 31 05 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I travel ALL AROUND Florida.....and most of my paying work is in TAMPA BAY area.......and well my car collections I work with are mostly in Tampa Bay and Orlando areas, down south is a pain in the ass cus everything`s so dammm expensive, I run a tight budget, I`m out to make money NOT spend it wink

Orlando`s only positive thing is it`s CHEAPER to live in than Miami (OHHH and sea levels higher there too than down south etc.) LOL!

But, as for advice to an MUA/STYLIST I`ve heard from my MUA that you can really make some dough if you are aggressive in Miami (also flexible and very mobile)

Dec 31 05 12:48 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angelica Chrysler

Detroit, Michigan, US

To everyone willing to take time out of their day to answer back... I am GRATEFUL! I never knew anything about the place...I have family there and thought...hey what the hell...let's make a move and see what I can achieve! Thank you very much for all the input you have given me! I would love to chat more...thank you again! And definately...Have an amazing New Year...much success to you all...and much love to my fellow mm' ers!
Angelica

Dec 31 05 02:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

OK, in all fairness I haven't been there in years.  This is what I know.  I moved there in 1972. Cow town USA.  It had a judge that carried a gun into the court room.  Went to high school, college, and beauty school.  Worked a few years then ran to New York.  It's a large area. We use to say if it weren't for Disney it would still be a dot on the map.  It's sticky hot in the summer.  You'll learn what a love bug is, a sink hole, and traffic that leads to more traffic.  Think about it this way.  It's a large city if your from a small town.  I found most that moved there brought their small mindedness with them.  I would rather be a little fish in a big pond the reverse. Good luck.  R-

Jan 01 06 08:24 pm Link

Model

Angelica Maria

Orlando, Florida, US

Good luck.  R-
Thank you!

Jan 04 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Orlando's not as awful of a place to live as some of these folks have said, but the job market here is pretty poor.  They're right about Miami if you want to work in modelling.
Drop me a line if you do move here, I always like to keep an eye out for talent.

Jan 05 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

Orlando isn't all that bad, it just depends what side of town you choose.  And I know there are plenty of agencies and other businesses that thrive here....

Jun 06 06 09:38 am Link