Forums > General Industry > MUA's on OMP

Makeup Artist

complexionperfecton

Natick, Massachusetts, US

I've not yet put up a portfolio on OMP,   and was thinking about doing one.  I've been tracking it since the summer and noticed that around June there were app 1200 MUA's listed there,  and now only about 400 some.  So like 800 mua's have droppped membership.  I'm wondering if it is  worthwhile  since so many have dropped out.   Also very few stylists and hairstylists.  Anybody have any thoughts on this??

Dec 30 05 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

hey i was on there and i didnt get a single paying job so it was not worth the cash that i put forward but if you like to not get paid and do lots of tfps and work for free and have the cash to throw out go for it.

Dec 30 05 11:32 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

We've all come over here, though I keep a page there so I don't lose my contacts.

Dec 30 05 11:33 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

In the beginning the site was offered to me for free.  When OMP asked me to pay I dropped out.  For one thing it did nothing for me but get me under aged girls from parts unknown wanting me to use them for models.  Uh sorry but does your parents know your asking strangers for work?  The final straw was OMP canceled studio space for a shoot last minute with a photographer I was going to work with for the first time. Reason, Playboy. Come to find out the photographer didn't work for them and quess what?  He pulled a no show. Could it have been that when I got the call to yep, do that shoot I said great, I've shot for them before.  Let me call...  And by the way, the shoot you canceled this morning?  poor show of professionalism so sorry not interested.  That's about the time I heard about Model Mayhem. R-

Dec 30 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I will have to -agree with most- that the reason why it dropped is a mix of omp charging every single person and most ppl on omp are just amateurs, so they won't be paying anyway.

I met a couple of make up artists off omp and we have worked together quite often, so I would say it was worth it. I think they have made their investment a few times over.

Websites are like cameras and brushes, just tools.. it depends how u use them where u find the value or lack of.

Dec 30 05 11:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

complexionperfecton

Natick, Massachusetts, US

Certainly does'nt seem worth it,  in the end.  I might check out ppl I want to work with and then I can just contact them. with 100,000 models on there,  they can't all be pros.

Dec 31 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i have had models on MM and OMP ask me to work for free, cause they had no  money left after the MUA was paid..

Dec 31 05 01:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Janet Harris

Allen, Texas, US

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but I've gotten some
great paying jobs from omp.One is a reaccuring job for a
photo shoot...one week out of every month..not bad !!
I also started out free on omp and had to ante up this year,
but each to his/her own.

Good luck

Dec 31 05 05:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

I just made a profile on OMP for MUA I'll give a year a try and then decide what I want to do, I am the only MUA listed in my area so that may be a plus for me

Dec 31 05 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

complexionperfecton wrote:
I've not yet put up a portfolio on OMP,   and was thinking about doing one.  I've been tracking it since the summer and noticed that around June there were app 1200 MUA's listed there,  and now only about 400 some.  So like 800 mua's have droppped membership.  I'm wondering if it is  worthwhile  since so many have dropped out.   Also very few stylists and hairstylists.  Anybody have any thoughts on this??

Maybe they are finally clearing out the dead wood. I wish.

Dec 31 05 07:05 pm Link