Forums > General Industry > Anyone ever published a magazine?

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Are there any people here who have actually published a magazine, or been part of a publishing company who does?

I have a couple of ideas, as well as the interested backers in my idea. But I have no idea where to find out how much even a small time magazine publishing endeavor could cost for even a small batch.
I am not looking for one of the on demand publishers. I want higher quality.

Any information would be appreciated.

Dec 30 05 02:26 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Magazines have an increibly high failure rate. Do your homework for sure!

Dec 30 05 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
Magazines have an increibly high failure rate. Do your homework for sure!

Of course, this is why it would be a small test run and sold only through places where our main focus would buy them. From what  I understand it is difficult for a magazine to even make it past its 3rd-4th issue if they do not do things right.

Dec 30 05 02:43 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Are there any people here who have actually published a magazine, or been part of a publishing company who does?

I have a couple of ideas, as well as the interested backers in my idea. But I have no idea where to find out how much even a small time magazine publishing endeavor could cost for even a small batch.

Contact me off list GB, and I can kick it around for you as far as the mechanical "how-to". The efficiency on your side [design - layout - pre-press / pre -flight - colour control - print ready output - ect] depends a lot on what you have to work with already or what you might need additionally to generate print house usable output.

Studio36

Dec 30 05 05:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

sorry 'bout that - timed out when I sent this and then posted twice ?????

Dec 30 05 05:52 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

If you're just looking at the publication side (no layout, art direction, etc), you can assume it will run you about $2 per magazine if you want a ballpark.

That was a small first run of about 30 pages, 5,000 prints we researched, full color.  There are a ton of variables, but they're of a relatively small impact.  Things could be wildly different where you're at, who you find, etc, but if all you need is a ballpark...

Andy

Dec 30 05 08:18 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Smithsonian. I was published in their Artifacts book for photographing Indian artifacts that my brother in law collected.  Four pages and a cover.

Okay, I see. You want to print your own. I printed my own comic book once. $1500 for 3000 color cover, B/W inside.

Dec 30 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I used to work for a publishing company that put out a few trade pubs. I've also researched starting a magazine, but it's an iffy business. About 1,000 magazines are started each year and most don't survive the year. Many others don't survive the next few years.

The mechanics are easy, provided you have the money. The distribution is the hard part. You either go newsstand and hope that people will find your magazine amongst the countless others (don't count on prominent display) or you go via direct mail, which is a whole other story.

Things have changed, too, now that Internet advertising is picking up again, which will further undercut the advertising base of magazines.

So, if you're interested in doing something on the side or your idea is so unique that it will be some surprise hit (they exist), by all means go for it and enjoy it. It's fun, but it might not make you money.

Dec 30 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I was one of the first shooters on mast for Enzime Magazine (an LA glam/music rag).

They published 3 issues then went down the crapper due to low add rates and 0 capital.

The mortality rate for any publication is huge and is usually based on content demand and circulation.

Unfortunately it's a money pit for the first 2 years, then you can start looking for a profit.

But if you're successful and sustainable, the profits are huge wink

Good Luck.

Dec 30 05 09:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

I worked for a local magazine as fashion director and did layout for them, it was a 40 page saddle stich 8.5x11 gloss magazine cost of printing would run from $1-$5 a magazine.

Dec 30 05 09:25 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

save your money.

Dec 30 05 09:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

the bulk of your money goes to the making of the printing plates, you will also need to check on the color scale they print CMYK or RGB, it has but I think 99% of magazine prints are in CMYK

Dec 30 05 09:34 am Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

I publish a 24 to 36 page magazine almost every month. It is a very limited edition and only covers the photoday events in California and Arizona. I do it only to promote the photodays. I almost break even on it, have no advertising, mostly just images of the models attending the events. This is the 3rd year doing this and not sure I can be any help but feel free to contact me if you think otherwise.

Dec 30 05 09:42 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Crazier Benny wrote:
you will also need to check on the color scale they print CMYK or RGB, it has but I think 99% of magazine prints are in CMYK

Make that 100%.  You cannot separate color using RGB. 

For a magazine to even begin reaching success there must be a minimum 60:40 ratio of advertising to editorial.

These are the things you must understand (completely) prior to the attempt:

Journalism:  The publication must be well written;
Graphic Design:  Advertisers rely on build services, not everyone goes through an agency and you must know how to do layouts of the publication;
Technical:  Hardware and software platform requirements, many use Quark for publishing;
Printing:  Screen sizes, stock used, costs and capabilities of presses;
Circulation:  How the publication will be distributed, and how returns are handled.

Write a business plan based on the above.  You will quickly discover it will be tough to make any money based on the effort.

Dec 30 05 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Michael Barian wrote:
save your money.

To make money you have to risk losing money. But there is also something a wise business man once told me. If you want to start something, invest with other peoples money. In other words, find a backer. Which I have.

Dec 30 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, US

Hey,

I would suggest do a moch up magazine and shop the prototype around to get ads to help pay for the production of the mag and know for sure your target market.
  In NYC there are stores that just only sell magazines like a hardware store sells hardware and I see new magazines coming out all the time on all types of topic.

I notice with new mags that they come out like once a year and I do not see how they built up their readers you need to produce them at a faster rate.
I do know like a clothes company want there ads to come out fast(Within 6 weeks) because if you come out once every 9 months it will not do any good for them.
  Make sure you have the budget to produce issue after issue in a timely fashion.

Dec 30 05 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Robert Perez wrote:
Hey,

I would suggest do a moch up magazine and shop the prototype around to get ads to help pay for the production of the mag and know for sure your target market.
  In NYC there are stores that just only sell magazines like a hardware store sells hardware and I see new magazines coming out all the time on all types of topic.

I notice with new mags that they come out like once a year and I do not see how they built up your readers you need to produce them at a faster rate.
I do know like a clothes company want there ads to come out fast because they need them out in a timely fashion and if you come out once every 9 months it will not do any good for them.
  Make sure you have the budget to produce issue after issue in a timely fashion.

Good ideas. I did plan on shopping it around to the san fran and sacramento book/magazine shops and such first. We have tons of shops which are purely magazines and books. I happen to be sort of friends with the owner couple of the local magazine shop. I of course will hit there first.  I am not sure how often I will publish it. It is not going to be vogue or cosmo type thing. More along the lines of a fine art magazine with some models mixed in now and then. Most of the higher end magazines that do such things come out maybe 4 times a year.
Where might you suggest I have a single copy printed though? Single copies are bound to be super expensive.Especially if I want it to look exactly as my actual magazine is planned.

Dec 30 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Good ideas. I did plan on shopping it around to the san fran and sacramento book/magazine shops and such first. We have tons of shops which are purely magazines and books. I happen to be sort of friends with the owner couple of the local magazine shop. I of course will hit there first.  I am not sure how often I will publish it. It is not going to be vogue or cosmo type thing. More along the lines of a fine art magazine with some models mixed in now and then. Most of the higher end magazines that do such things come out maybe 4 times a year.
Where might you suggest I have a single copy printed though? Single copies are bound to be super expensive.Especially if I want it to look exactly as my actual magazine is planned.

I don't mean to be the nabob of negativity, but based on your questions and responses; you're lost.  Having been through the process of start-up through publication myself, I can tell you your approach will get you a lot of wasted time.

The best you could possibly hope for that would bring any ROI (financial and otherwise) is to go to an existing publisher, pitch the idea for you to put it together and they run the printing/distribution operation.  If you can't sell that to those already funded, already having the resources and infrastructure in place, then you certainly won't be able to do it on your own. 

You simply don't have the "big picture" understanding of what it takes and you won't until you sit down and write a full and complete business plan. 

I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!
--Woody Allen

Dec 30 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I have a couple of times. Supposed to be published in Don Diva next month, we'll see.

To me it's not that big of a deal, just shows proof that someone thinks your work is good enough to be seen by thousands of people.

Dec 30 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:
I don't mean to be the nabob of negativity, but
The best you could possibly hope for that would bring any ROI (financial and otherwise) is to go to an existing publisher, pitch the idea for you to put it together and they run the printing/distribution operation.
You simply don't have the "big picture" understanding of what it takes and you won't until you sit down and write a full and complete business plan.

Why do you think I am here asking for advice,lol. So I can see where to get such information that I would need for a business plan and such. But I do already have someone willing to back my idea. We just have to find the right process to go through to get it done.

Dec 30 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

area291 wrote:

Make that 100%.  You cannot separate color using RGB. 

For a magazine to even begin reaching success there must be a minimum 60:40 ratio of advertising to editorial.

These are the things you must understand (completely) prior to the attempt:

Journalism:  The publication must be well written;
Graphic Design:  Advertisers rely on build services, not everyone goes through an agency and you must know how to do layouts of the publication;
Technical:  Hardware and software platform requirements, many use Quark for publishing;
Printing:  Screen sizes, stock used, costs and capabilities of presses;
Circulation:  How the publication will be distributed, and how returns are handled.

Write a business plan based on the above.  You will quickly discover it will be tough to make any money based on the effort.

What he said.

I have been involved with printing and publishing my whole life. I have been involved with many publications that started and failed. It is EXTREMELY difficult to make money off of one publication. There are too many people involved and not enough profit. If you can produce two or three publications using the same infrastructure, then you can make money.

Are you going to be the writer, the designer, photographer and sell the ads? Are you good enough at managing all these duties? If not, now you have employees. You will have to pay them a month or two before the magazine ever comes out. That means you need start up capital (and lots of it). Printing costs can be staggering. The problem is that short runs (500 or 1000) are not real economical. The cost is in the set up. Paper and press time are relatively inexpensive. The more you print, the lower the per piece cost is.

(By the way, there is no way to produce ONE copy that will be exactly like the printed version. You can print a digital mock up on whatever stock you choose, but it will not be as good as a printed copy).

But your ad rate is based on the number of subscribers or circulation. Is an advertiser going to bite if the ad is only going to go to a "small test run".  And again, area 291 is right the ratio of ads is 60:40. If you plan to sell the magazine in a couple of book stores, you'd be lucky if you sold a hundred. That's not much incentive for an advertiser. So a better option may be to give the magazine away. People may look at it and toss it, but more people will be interested, thereby increasing your circulation, thus increasing your ad rate to cover costs, etc.

It IS truly a vicious circle.

Most small publications are based on vanity. They don't make money. Most are lucky if they break even.

Dec 30 05 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

David Born

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I have just begun this process myself, I am pubilshing a monthly magazine in digest format (halfpage size) and it is costing about $1 per issue to print 48 pages Full Color.  This is a free publication since that is the only way that I can get such wide distribution.  I understand that many stores will take your zine or magazine on consignment, and return 50% of the cover price to you, but also will return all the unsold copies.

Problems I am having is with selling advertising or even bidding sponsors to help cover cost of printing + distribution.  Being the publisher, art director, designer, editor, sales rep, photographer, and writer; means that I will fail if I continue trying to handle all of these duties myself.  Luckily I have formed a small but solid team to help make this happen.  We have our first pre-launch party tomorrow, and are scheduled to debut the first issue at the end of January.

The magazine focuses on aspiring artists, musicians, photographers, and writers.  We feature some well known artists and bands, too, and have a ton of editorial coming from all over the world.  I trust it's success based on that I've ran a similar Ezine for 6 years now, and am finally taking it to print. But we also have a strong subsciption-based readership built up over the years.  Of the 1000 new magazines that are published each year, I believe less that 250 of them are still around after the first year of business.  Sad but true.

Good luck with your endeavor!  remember, business plan business plan business plan

oh yah and P.S. write a business plan

Dec 30 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Elliott

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

To make money you have to risk losing money. But there is also something a wise business man once told me. If you want to start something, invest with other peoples money. In other words, find a backer. Which I have.

If you decide not to go forward send that backer my way. I have an up and operational newspaper that could use a shot in the arm.

Dec 30 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Elliott

Why do you think I am here asking for advice,lol. So I can see where to get such information that I would need for a business plan and such. But I do already have someone willing to back my idea. We just have to find the right process to go through to get it done.

Business Plan:
Decide everything you will need to open the door
  Equipment (computers, software, phones, internet service, INSURANCE, utilities, transportation, office furniture, etc.)

Personell, how many to do what jobs.

Contract Work (printing, distribution etc.)

Add it all up.

Add in at least 25% of that toal for contingency

Factor in personell, contract and other recurring expensses for at least six months.

Add in another 10 to 15% contingency.

Have Fun!

Dec 30 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I'm mesmerized and impressed that you have a backer without having a clue.

Dec 30 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

during the 80S , i went onboard with a new magazine as the oncall photographer, was the 1st of its kind excellent all round model photographer publication , lasted precisely one issue, editor lost a motsa, i never got paid.

Dec 30 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

vegasmusicandfilm

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've worked/owned alot of different magazines. I even help young/new publishers start out too. They all needed deep pockets. I published a monthly local Las Vegas entertainment magazine for over 5 years 96-2000. Its alot of hard work. Its takes alot of money too. Sometimes I felt it had become a curse, with all the hats I had to wear, and all the fires I had to put out. It was a free magazine. I printed 85.000 zines a month. I had alot of pressure on me to come out each month. One thing that I remember most was that "Your only as good as your last magazine!" Your costs will be based on the size,pages, and runs, and style you print on. Heavy gloss color slick is the most $$$. You are always competing with other magazine Ad reps. Plus television, radio, cable, billboard, internet and their ad reps too for your future advertizing dollar. Every time you put that magazine to bed, your like a expecting father waiting  for it to come out. Then theres distributation, and you have to get it out pronto. Or your advertisers will think you crashed and burned and dont have to keep their agreements with your  ad contract. Maybe you won't have those problems and it will be better for you. Just have a sharp crew in all departments. So you won't find yourself in small claims court trying to get money from a advertiser or printer that dropped the ball for you. Prove that you have great demographics and distributation and it will show that your magazine has creditability.
Good-Luck!
Let me know when you come out, I would love to see your new magazine.
Thanks
Adam Martinez

Dec 30 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Smithsonian. I was published in their Artifacts book for photographing Indian artifacts that my brother in law collected.  Four pages and a cover.

Okay, I see. You want to print your own. I printed my own comic book once. $1500 for 3000 color cover, B/W inside.

Model. Published photographer. Comic book artist.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Dec 30 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

With my own experience of having shot and written for music related magazines, I can tell you that any publication that does not have a website is doomed to failure!  A website is the least expensive way to get started in publishing.  It is also nearly manditory!  Every magazine I've worked on that didn't have a website went under due to a lack of capital to cover the printing costs. 

You CAN publish, but start on the Internet!  Pick up any main stream magazine, and you will see that they have a website.  Starting with a website/publiscation before going to print is the smart way to build up advertisement clients, and readers!  I am already in the 'net publishing business and if you would like some more detailed advise, feel free to write me a PM. 

Best wishes,
Patrick

Additional;  Research is critical.  Don't let those who are negative towards this get you down!  Pick up magazines you really like and find out where they are printed.  Take your time.  Remember that websites ARE a form of publication.  You can copyright your content, and also sell subscriptions for your website as easily as you would a hard copy! Most important is don't give up!  Too many others get discouraged or run out of money.  It takes a bull dog persistence to be in publishing!

Dec 30 05 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

David Born

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jack Elliott wrote:

Business Plan:
Decide everything you will need to open the door
  Equipment (computers, software, phones, internet service, INSURANCE, utilities, transportation, office furniture, etc.)

Personell, how many to do what jobs.

Contract Work (printing, distribution etc.)

Add it all up.

Add in at least 25% of that toal for contingency

Factor in personell, contract and other recurring expensses for at least six months.

Add in another 10 to 15% contingency.

Have Fun!

Once you reach a final cost, double that to cover promotion, advertising, legal representation, and save my ass now fund.  Make sure that your plan includes a break even analysis to first see if it's worth the risk to the investors.

and I too am impressed and mesmorized that you have backing without a clue.  I can't find any rich bastard to toss money at me, and I have the whole thing laid out ready to launch. Editorial content for the next 6 months is lined up ready tp print, once I raise enough money to do so.

Dec 30 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

shikatoi wrote:
and I too am impressed and mesmorized that you have backing without a clue.  I can't find any rich bastard to toss money at me, and I have the whole thing laid out ready to launch. Editorial content for the next 6 months is lined up ready tp print, once I raise enough money to do so.

It is someone I know who just sold a home for a lot more than they paid for it. He told me he would back me if I get the details. He and I have talked about a lot of my business ideas over the years.

Dec 30 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

AllioArt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've worked for over 30 years in and with publishers...

Believe it or not, the toughest hurdle to a magazine's success is getting space on the newstand/bookstore shelves...

What is your target market???  Circulation numbers???  Frequency???

Dec 30 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I used to shoot covers and the centerfold PinUp for a very beautiful and well executed Rockabilly/music and Retro Culture magazine in Germany

The magazine was like no other one and was a big hit in Gernany and German speaking countries, it was also starting to get a following in Sweden as well

$$$$$ Cost`s of the magazine and distribution problems made it`s demise after the 3rd issue, (the magazine done the same way here in the USA would be a big hit, but as it always is things that look good cost lot`s of $$$$)

I`ve been asked many times to start a Retro magazine, while I shoot some of the most recognized modern day Retro work in the world, but as always the startup $$$$ is the factor and I also think the survival rate of magazine`s are very very low due to the internet......Atomic magazine, one of the BEST Retro magazine`s has long been gone and only inferior "trash" quality written and produced mags are out there now, with low distribution and poor quality photography and printing

I think people with great ideas like making magazine`s need to have millionaire friend`s who have money to throw out the window, that seems the only way that people will be able to get anything printed anymore.......

Dec 30 05 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

One of my favorite clients is a magazine publisher.  I've shot for a half dozen of their magazines.  The company started it's life as soley a printing company who printed magazines.  As one magazine after another defaulted on their printing bills they started to take over title after title.  Eventually they were printing more of their own magazines than they were printing for others and started to aquire and create new titles.

They are in the ideal position to start a magazine.  They have every thing covered from advertising sales to prepress and printing.  They will create a more efficient and effective magazine product than you ever will be able to. They can get an bring a concept from idea to printed magazine in the space of a couple months if they need to.  Not only that, they can get advance money from magazine distributors who control most of the magazine rack space in the country.

I would suggest you research far more deeply than asking questions on a web forum.  You might consider college level classes and professional seminars.  It appears that you have not grasped the scope of the undertaking.

Dec 30 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Dan Howell wrote:
I would suggest you research far more deeply than asking questions on a web forum.  You might consider college level classes and professional seminars.  It appears that you have not grasped the scope of the undertaking.

I am looking allover, this is just where I started. As for my grasp on what all it will take, as I said to someone else who said basically what you said, that is why I am doing the research.....to find out what it takes.

Dec 30 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

3 words.

Don't do it.

I am former magazine associate publisher in NYC for a well known names in trade (business) magazines.

The ideas you have stated are a formula for disaster. This is not personal at all. There is so much that you need to know to be involved and be successful, and I can't see any reason for you to invest a dime.

Magazine start-ups, as others as mentioned, have one of the highest failure rates of all businesses, and the current advertising cycle is not a good one. All mag circulations are down, local, regional and national mags. Less people are reading and buying mags.....they are on the NET!

Sorry, I understand how much enthusiasm and desire you have, but no publsiher succeeds without a saavy knowledge of the publishing biz.

Good luck, but be very very careful.

Dec 30 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

glenn usdin wrote:
The ideas you have stated are a formula for disaster.

I have yet to disclose my ideas for the magazines I had in mind. So, I do not know how you arrive at that conclusion.

Dec 30 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

your ideas about the publishing biz.

you dont have a clue and you admitted it. I respect that.

But not knowing the basic stuff that you don't know, is the recipe for disaster.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Dec 30 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I have yet to disclose my ideas for the magazines I had in mind. So, I do not know how you arrive at that conclusion.

Maybe the first step is to hire some consultants, take on that management role first.  Your investor will think that's smart too if you sell him/her the right way.

I'm available.

Dec 30 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

BOBBY DIMARZO

Boston, Massachusetts, US

hey buddy
i have been doing a sucessful magazine for the past 3 years have printed from 5,000 to 10,000
to 20,000. i empty wastbaskets vacum the carpets help design each page ,place each ad in
its space. i decide every story shoot most of the fashion(was a fashion photographer for 25
years). i have one great designer and one great editor,both young and 3 interns
BOBBY DIMARZO
SCENE BOSTON MAGAZINE( BOSTON ) planning to start up one inLAS VEGAS
256 HANOVER ST #7
BOSTON MA 02113

Dec 30 05 10:50 pm Link