Forums > General Industry > How can a MUA go about getting tearsheets?

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Ive been looking to get tears in my book and am not riding on a stream of luck.....no tear sheets.

Most, if not all agencies wont accept you unless you have tearsheets.

How does this work? Is it just luck?

Dec 28 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

Hi Roshar

I'm not a professional but from reading through these forums I would say that you need to find those photographers in your area that are getting published and volunteer to work with them on TFCD basis.  If your work is good enough and those photographers can use you to test and submit the resulting photos for publication you may get the break you are looking for.

Best of luck

Dec 28 05 08:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Berumen wrote:
Hi Roshar

I'm not a professional but from reading through these forums I would say that you need to find those photographers in your area that are getting published and volunteer to work with them on TFCD basis.  If your work is good enough and those photographers can use you to test and submit the resulting photos for publication you may get the break you are looking for.

Best of luck

Thats what I thought. I was hoping there would be an easier way to go about it than testing till my heart bleeds.

THx Berumen

Dec 28 05 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Roshar wrote:
Thats what I thought. I was hoping there would be an easier way to go about it than testing till my heart bleeds.

There is no easier way, unfortunately, since the MUAs are not the creator of the image. I always give my team of people their tears when things get published, never missed one.

I guess the best advice is one word, just like any other business and life:

NETWORK

Dec 28 05 08:35 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Roshar wrote:
Ive been looking to get tears in my book and am not riding on a stream of luck.....no tear sheets.

my start was I found a small local magazine did work with them and just started doing more and more things, and network like crazy

Dec 28 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

lll wrote:

There is no easier way, unfortunately, since the MUAs are not the creator of the image. I always give my team of people their tears when things get published, never missed one.

I guess the best advice is one word, just like any other business and life:

NETWORK

Thank you Leo, you just gave me a nice topic for my Arts Networking meeting on Jan 14th in Tacoma.........

Woooo hoooooo

Dec 28 05 08:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Yeah- Networking is what I have to do.

I just moved here 2 months ago I just have to start over in that dept.
Oh well, I guess I was hoping for the Tearsheet Fairy to drop out of the sky..
LOL.

THx Guys~!

Dec 28 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Roshar wrote:

Most MUA's I work with have actually found me. Quite a few have contacted me through craigslist posts looking for models. I would market yourself to photographers in your area either through sites like MM or find out who's a working photog by reading the local magazines and searching on the internet and contact them. Market yourself to photogs., they probably have people who they work with but somebody maybe sick or unavailable one day and that's your brake.

mike

Dec 28 05 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Even if the agencies won't take you yet, you need to be testing with them as often as possible.  Your testing rate is rather low, I'm sure they'd eat you up at that rate and your skill level.  Get on good enough terms with them from consistently helping their talent and you may find that whole tear sheets required line just that. wink

Andy

Dec 28 05 09:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Timea Peterfia

Austin, Texas, US

I don't have tearsheets and have not tried to get them yet, but I've heard that if you approach local boutiques and stores that do their own catalogs or ads, and you TFP with them that's a good start.  Would love to hear if you try it and it works.

Jan 08 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I've seen MUAs join local trade organizations such as ASMP or APA. That's a prime way to network, and learn who's shooting what. As most of the ASMP members are media photographers, and most of APA are advertising photogs, you'll likely find more tears being created by those groups than by trying to hunt down individual photogs online. Working with a corp ad budget, they can afford to hire crews more often than solo photogs looking to create art in a TFP/TFCD arrangement - which is good for you. Why not get paid for your work?

Wm

Jan 08 06 04:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I have only a couple of tear sheets and unfortumatly none of them show the face very well, But I approched several small local magizines as well as local designers, a tear sheet means it s  torn from a mag, book or paper , get out there and ask everyone you know even local clothing shops might be having a fashion show and you never know hwo could be in the audience taking pictures.

Jan 08 06 07:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Aw hell, let's just start Model Mayhem Monthly! An entire magazine of tear sheets wink

Jan 08 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Second Glance wrote:
I've seen MUAs join local trade organizations such as ASMP or APA. That's a prime way to network, and learn who's shooting what. As most of the ASMP members are media photographers, and most of APA are advertising photogs, you'll likely find more tears being created by those groups than by trying to hunt down individual photogs online. Working with a corp ad budget, they can afford to hire crews more often than solo photogs looking to create art in a TFP/TFCD arrangement - which is good for you. Why not get paid for your work?

Wm

This souinds like an awesome idea. I second it - and the ASMP generally meets rather frequently (I think our chapter meets every month or so).

-P-

Jan 09 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I'm trying to bring more Makeup artist into the mix by inviting them to all my meet and greets.
I feel the value of a good makeup artist has been overlooked for too long.

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=23384

Jan 09 06 05:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kurejea Enjoli

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

Let me tell you, I have 2 bad experiences with getting them...In 04' I did a hair magazine shoot with a few other MUAs, and we all were supposed to get credit and recieve the issues in the mail or at least the photos. Nothing happened even after months passed. I followed up and was given a bs answer. One of the other artists that did that I knew, did the same thing because she never recieved anything either. I just didn't get that, it was legit and all that. However for some reason they didn't keep their word.
The second one was last year for an independent urban mag, it was a shoot for a new upcoming r & b group. I won't say all that was wrong with that day, but to sum it up after all that the issue never even got to the stands that month. The other artist and I both never recieved our copies. I didn't know the other artist personally prior to the shoot, but I kept in touch with her after.

Its all good though. I have learned from both of those experiences that not every job works out. I know one of these days I will get some tears. I just look on a positive note, like I still get great pictures from shoots.

Jan 10 06 12:15 am Link