Forums > General Industry > Meet a model before shooting them?

Photographer

Nothingok

Los Angeles, California, US

Is it reasonable to ask a model to meet you for coffee before you shoot them?  This extends on the topic - models that show up do not look like their pics.

Dec 26 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

I think its very reasonable and beneficial to both parties. You can learn more about her and she can learn more about you. I think spending a little more time with your model should do wonders in making her feel more comfortable around you and you can assure yourself that she is what you are looking for.

Jordan

My biggest issue right now is models wanting to bring people along with them on shoots. Alot of times it ends up being drama that I dont have time to deal with when shooting!

Dec 26 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Elliot

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I always meet my model b4 a shoot ... haha that way they know what i look like tongue j/k. I find it very beneficial and makes both parties more comfortable - i like to talk about the shoot and other non shoot topics ... etc etc. and you get to know each other a bit better and that helps the comfort level when shoot day comes.

*note im still an amateur and shoot tfp/cd and work w/ mostly models w/ some experience*

E

Dec 26 05 01:48 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Matthew Lyn Photography wrote:
Is it reasonable to ask a model to meet you for coffee before you shoot them?  This extends on the topic - models that show up do not look like their pics.

Yes, definitely meet with the model before you shoot with her/him. Also, applies for models. Do meet with the photographer to discuss content of shoot, ideas, clothing, make up and hair styling and everything that working together might involve.
Sometimes when the two parites meet a shoot does not happen!

♀

Dec 26 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

I have done it on and off for some time but more recently been keeping up with doing it. I think it gives models a chance to have a comfort level if they meet the photographer before there is a camera present.

Just my 2 cents

Dec 26 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Dave Scott

Vancouver, Washington, US

Very reasonable. Thinking about it, I meet just about every other person before hiring them. Most of the gals that I work with are not full-time models and referred to me from models I've already shot with. I always meet with the new ones. For models that I work with regularly, we will meet if there are a lot of details to go over otherwise a phone call and discussion during hair and make-up works fine.

If they are paying me for the shoot meeting is optional. They are the client.

-- Dave

---------------------
Dave Scott Photographic
Portland OR - Vancouver WA

Dec 26 05 02:04 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Good if you can do it for all of the above reasons, but not required if you've seen enough photos to know what (s)he looks like. 

You really can get a good idea of what a model looks like from enough pictures.  I've only been surprised once when a model showed up and she was Black instead of the white I'd sorta expected.   I was pretty busy shooting back then and knew the name and time, but couldn't remember what she looked like. 

Gorgeous though.  Got some nice stuff that's on my website domain.

-Don

Dec 26 05 02:23 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

That's why you meet them....oh what photoshop can do huh?  wink~

Dec 26 05 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
I have done it on and off for some time but more recently been keeping up with doing it. I think it gives models a chance to have a comfort level if they meet the photographer before there is a camera present.

Just my 2 cents

I host photographer and model meet and greets where there is a level playing field and models can meet and test shoot with several local photographers at one time.

For the most part, we've been model heavy in that there were about 3-6 photographers shooting at any given night and up to 15 models there to make contacts and meet with potential photographers.

This set up works very well.

Rick has been to quite a few of these meetings and has helped organize them as well. How many new models have you met with from coming to the meet and greets Rick?

To answer your question, Yes, it would benifit you both to meet ahead of the shoot if you can.

Craig

Dec 26 05 03:17 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I've met models twice before a shoot. It was a total waste of time, gas, and espressos. "Hi-hand shake-how are you-blahblah-so why do you like modeling, how many shoots have you done-do you know this photog, blah blah"

Thanks, just show and we'll shoot and we'll have a very fun time

Meeting first is bullshit

Dec 26 05 03:22 am Link

Model

Tank Zee

Fredericksburg, Virginia, US

As a model, I prefer meeting first. In my opinion meeting makes the shoot more relaxed! As a model, I realize that I will not always be able to meet the photographers I work with and that I need to be as versatile as possible, but quick enough to realize when a photographer is really just a GWC using others images.

As a photographer I understand that it is not always possible to meet my models first even if I like to. My job is not only to shoot them, but make them relaxed and as comfortable as possible so they will want to work with me again.

Dec 26 05 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I do, but with my busy schedule I prefer to give references or to do a telephone interview. Time is money. But, if it's a paying customer, then yes, of course. If it's a TFP, then no - the phone or a call with my assistant is going to be what I can offer.  /Tim

Dec 26 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

I either meet them at Tequilas or I have a refferal from studio owners who see all what models and photographers do and are like.
:-)

Dec 26 05 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I always make an attempt to meet with the model before the shoot.  On very rare occasions, I have met the model for the first time when the shoot is scheduled, but I have been extremely lucky.  I have never had a model totally flake on me except on the "scheduled" first meetings.  If they don't meet me first, then what makes me think they will show up for the shoot.  I've saved a great deal of time, plus both the model and myself are more comfortable when we do shoot!

Meet before the shoot!  You wont regret it!

Dec 26 05 04:25 am Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I treat all my "models" as if they were paying clients (whether it's a TFP/CD or a paid shoot), and I've always found the "meet & greet" or interview process before the shoot to be beneficial.  Unless it's a simple head shot, there's a lot to be learned from your client.  and I always try to give them some "homework" to do prior to coming back for their project (i.e. wardrobe questions asked and answered, suggestion to bring a girlfriend to the shoot, etc).

I luv it when a model brings her girlfriend to a shoot, because 9 times out of 10 that girl becomes my next paid client.  Sneaky, eh?  LOL

Dec 26 05 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

If a model lives a considerable distance, I don't know if it would be practical to meet before a shoot; she or the photographer would have to drive or fly back to where they came from.  In that instance talking on the phone to establish a report' would be beneficial.

Dec 26 05 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I have a meeting with every model before I work with them.  This seems to make the models and myself more comfortable during the shoot.  It also gives me an idea of how the model moves and what kind of expressions I can get from them.  I also have a little questionaire (application) that helps me get to know them better and design the shoot around their likes and dislikes.    Having the shoot designed for what they are also looking for makes everyone happy.

Dec 26 05 05:43 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm all for meeting beforehand smile It's not always possible, but it helps put both parties at ease plus gives you a chance to go over the ideas for your shoot and also for the photographer to get a look at 'the goods' before he realises that you might not look so good in that bikini he's got stashed in the back room wink

Dec 26 05 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Voltaire

Los Angeles, California, US

Meeting models is an excellent idea.  Somethimes the pics they have up are from 10 years ago.  This can seriously make a difference especially if you are shooting swim.  Although I do not require it because I do not always have the time.  Many professionals wouldn't dream of shooting a girl without seeing her first.  Why?  Because they simply may not feel that they can prosper by working together.  Also it helps to weed out flakes.

Rob

Dec 26 05 05:58 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Considering how often people seem to be of contradicting views on the website, I'm shocked that pretty much everyone agrees that meeting beforehand is a good idea.

I think it's smart too. I often meet with models ahead of time. Not always. But usually. I do it for all the reasons already mentioned - it does make things go easier on a shoot when you "break the ice" beforehand and discuss ideas and get to know someone a little bit.

Dec 26 05 06:10 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

It's sort of scary that we all agree for once isn't it?

*glances about nervously*

*cuddles the cat closer*

Dec 26 05 06:14 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Nytevision wrote:
It's sort of scary that we all agree for once isn't it?

Scary? No. I disagree.

Dec 26 05 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I typically request it.  If they turn me down, we don't shoot.  Yes, it has something to do with checking them out so they look like their pictures.  But it's also cut down on my "flakes".  Committing 30 minutes of my time for a no show is certainly better than blocking out half my day and setting up the studio.

I suggest a Starbucks that's central for both.

Dec 26 05 06:24 am Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:

Yes, definitely meet with the model before you shoot with her/him. Also, applies for models. Do meet with the photographer to discuss content of shoot, ideas, clothing, make up and hair styling and everything that working together might involve.
Sometimes when the two parites meet a shoot does not happen!

♀

Yes , its a good idea. I do it all the time.
>Sometimes when the two parites meet a shoot does not happen!<
yes , this happened to me.

Dec 26 05 07:03 am Link

Model

msunderstood

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I prefer to meet first.. if i am not what they want or our ideas don't mesh, it saves a lot of time

Dec 26 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

I meet before shooting.  Have occasionally found the model too flakey to want to work with................... but also give me chance to explain what I'm looking for at the shoot.

Dec 26 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Yes I do it as much as possible, if the model lives a little too far out from me, then that's the exception. I always reccomend the food court at the mall, big open public place, but if you do that, find some spot there as  reference point...ie..
at my mall, i always say  'table over by the Barney's coffee stand'  or somwwhere really close to the stand.
Try it , you might like it

Dec 26 05 07:45 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Yes it is a very good idea. But this is not always possible for me.  I hire most of my models from out of state for my trip shoots.  So most of the time I first meet them the day before the shoot starts. 

Just one of those things I am afraid.  bs

Dec 26 05 07:52 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

I have rarely met anyone before a shoot ... not being cavalier about it, but simply time and expense since I don't live close to anyone to make it convenient. I'm sure safety plays a part for the model in meeting someone first, but I've heard tell I'm intimidating enough in certain circumstances. I guess that's a good thing.

Haven't been sent home and haven't had complaints yet. (Well, not to my face, anyway...)

Dec 26 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

I do like to have a pre-shoot meeting if possible, at a public place, maybe over coffee or something like that.  I'll usually bring my portfolio for the model to look over, and he / she can bring theirs if they wish. I will discuss the details of the shoot, ask and answer questions, etc, and generally it helps both parties get more comfortable with each other. Of course, it's not always possible to meet this way beforehand, but I do it when I can.

Dec 26 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

I try to meet models before hand if they seem somewhat apprehensive while doing the phone interview and if they don't have much experience.  It sometimes seems to relax them on a shoot, but that isn't always the case.  Usually people have found me by word of mouth or a girlfriend, so they know a little about me coming in.  I meet at a books store with a Starbuck's so we can look at mags and get an idea of what type of looks they are interested in doing.  It is really more for me to gauge what the model wants and doesn't want to shoot.  Her confidence level.  Her style.  And how she looks!  I kinda find out where their head is at before the shoot.  I don't want to waste time trying to loosen them up if they don't want to shoot a specific style.  But all in all, it can work out for the best for all involved!

Dec 26 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Face-to-face pre-shoot meetings are wonderful when the logistics work.

Then again, how "social" should the working relationship between a model and photographer get?  I don't hang out with my mechanic before taking my car in to get fixed.

Dec 26 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

William Kious wrote:
Face-to-face pre-shoot meetings are wonderful when the logistics work.

Then again, how "social" should the working relationship between a model and photographer get?  I don't hang out with my mechanic before taking my car in to get fixed.

I don't have my mechanic in various states of undress or tell them how to pose either! wink

I have only been able to meet once beforehand and it was very beneficial. I was able to giver her some reassurances and we were able to get comfortable with each other. It really cut down on the wasted shots when we got started.

I would gladly meet the model before each shoot if logistics weren't such an issue.

Dec 26 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

I actually require to meet the model after the shooting ...

Dec 26 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I put a pre-shoot meeting in my text and in all cases where it has happened - I think it helped a bunch.

This is especially true for my shoots because there are additional issues to discuss because of focusing on nudes, and I work in natural settings.  There are not a huge percentage of models that have much experience working in a wilderness setting - and not many have done nudes in that sort of setting.  In some of my shots, these were the first times the models have tried any outdoor nudes and they had no real experience in working outdoors in nature.  In one or two cases, I was the first photographer that had shot full nudes of any kind with her.  It has been a great experience for me and the models have usually been very happy with the images we created - since they are such a different look for their books.   But, it takes a lot of prep work to get to that point, and the pre-meet is a big help.

Since there are added issues related to working outdoors - like locations and hiking from one to another,  lots of suggestions about what to add to her modeling bag for hiking, sunscreen, etc.

I have shot models without the pre-meet and they were fine - because we both exchanged a lot of calls and emails beforehand.  But I still think my most productive shoots were ones with the pre-meets - or in the 2nd or 3rd time I shoot with the same model - because we know each other well by that time and are more comfortable with working together in such an environment.

VintageV

Dec 26 05 11:27 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Is it reasonable to ask a model to meet you for coffee before you shoot them?

I'm reminded of an essay I read on Internet dating and the role Starbucks has played.  There seems to be a correlation between the "coffee date" and determining whether to move forward to get naked...

Clients receive a pre-meeting to discuss objective.  Models are hired to meet those objectives and typically don't require a pre-meeting.  I'm wondering if these "coffee dates" are part of the TFP ritual?

Dec 26 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

area291 wrote:

I'm reminded of an essay I read on Internet dating and the role Starbucks has played.  There seems to be a correlation between the "coffee date" and determining whether to move forward to get naked...

Clients receive a pre-meeting to discuss objective.  Models are hired to meet those objectives and typically don't require a pre-meeting.  I'm wondering if these "coffee dates" are part of the TFP ritual?

Well said.

I do not need to meet models before a shoot.  If they are hiring me, I photograph them as best as I can regardless of how they look.  My job is to make them look as good as possible or to shoot them specifically how they wish to be photographed.

If I am the one casting the model and they show up not looking like what was represented/expected... we do not proceed.  End of story. smile

Dec 26 05 11:52 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

area291 wrote:

What a nice way of saying "Grow up."

:-P

Dec 26 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Scott

Vancouver, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I host photographer and model meet and greets...

Craig

Great idea. I'm not quite networked enough down here in SW Washington. However, every two to three months I host a little gathering that includes everyone that I've worked with. It allows everyone to meet and for me to go over expectations or changes in the way things will operate. When I was in a more corporate setting this was done every month and I find that it works well now. It's just not needed as often.

-- Dave

Dec 26 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I have met with some models before shoots but in most cases, when I meet the model for the first time it is for the shoot.  A lot of models I work with for the first time know someone who has worked with me before (so they know I'm ok), or they bring someone with them, so they are comfortable at the shoot.

Dec 26 05 07:51 pm Link