Forums > General Industry > The Belarus Situation

Photographer

Ryzzy

San Francisco, California, US

Today's New York Times has an article about Belarus and the modeling situation there:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/19/inter … html?8hpib

NYTimes is subscription (free), so the short description is that the Belarus president was not happy with all the foreign models showing up on billboards and advertising there. So, there is now a law that all models who appear in public advertisements must be Belarusian.

Dec 19 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

It gets better - models pay attention now...

"...Instead of using foreign models on ads typically prepared abroad, companies must now hire locals, at $25 to $50 a shoot...."

Not even by the hour... ROTFLMAO

Studio36

Dec 19 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Aren't all the pretty Bellarusan (sp?) girls somewhere abroad making money?

Dec 19 05 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

studio36uk wrote:

"...Instead of using foreign models on ads typically prepared abroad, companies must now hire locals, at $25 to $50 a shoot...."

Studio36

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Dec 19 05 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

What is the state policy on TFP?  If a model is $25-$50 for an entire shoot, what would be a fair number of prints in lieu of money?

Dec 19 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

What are you laughing about?  I'm sure that if you were to compare $25 to $50.00 per shoot to the minimum salary in the country it would work out to a pretty decent salary.   

I know several highly skilled professionals (i.e engineers, architects, etc) that make $300.00  a week in their home countries and it buys them a middle class lifestyle.

[edit]  average salary in Belarus is $139 per month so a model makes one third of an average salary in a day, that compares to a model making $180 to $360.00 per shoot in the states[/edit]

Dec 19 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

One of my former models is Belarusian.  She now lives in California.  I once had an exhibition in Belarus as well as Russia.  Note there are no Belarusian models on MM.

The president was democratically elected after the fall of the Soviet but then booted the constitution and has refused democratic elections since.  I don’t believe, from what little I’ve been able to learn, he has anything that could be called popular support.  Newspapers, radio, and television not supporting his now illegal government have been shut down for years.  Belarus has become a police state based on the Stalinist model.

Dec 20 05 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thom Bourgois wrote:
The president was democratically elected after the fall of the Soviet but then booted the constitution and has refused democratic elections since.  I don’t believe, from what little I’ve been able to learn, he has anything that could be called popular support.  Newspapers, radio, and television not supporting his now illegal government have been shut down for years.  Belarus has become a police state based on the Stalinist model.

Yes,you are correct.

Dec 20 05 04:55 am Link

Photographer

vlad voloshin

New York, New York, US

interesting article.  Belarus is the only country of the former USSR that upholds  soviet style methods of government, kind of like Cuba, North Korea, but not quite as authoritarian.

Dec 20 05 12:51 pm Link