Forums > Newbie Forum > New to MM

Model

Cheyenne

Chicago, Illinois, US

Obviously I'm new. Can you guys add me to your friends list? I'm trying to build up my MM account. Also do ya'll have any pointers on how to put together a portfolio? I shouldn't have to spend a lot of money, like more than $500 right? Or is that too much.

Dec 17 05 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Elusive Dreams

Olympia, Washington, US

Hello Cheyenne,

First off, you have a very appealing look and I don't think you will have any problems obtaining some shoots.  Secondly, as far as paying for a portfolio you may do want to do this if you want to jump start your career, however if you are wanting to build it with different looks or styles of photography, then you may consider doing a few TFP shoots.  "TFP" stands for trade for prints, or you can do "TFCD" which is trade for CD. 

I recommend that you chose wisely on who you do a TFP for, your whole intent is to get quality photos, not snapshots.  Some photographers will solicit you to do a TFP Shoot with them, look through their portfolio to view their quality of work before agreeing to do so..and also, prior to the shoot make sure to get an agreement on what you would receive for the shoot. This varies quite a bit depending on experience of the photographer and quality of their work.  Most photographers will not release copyrights, but will give you limited use for the images. 

You may want to solicit photographer you like for a TFP shoot, however don't be surprised if they are not interested, some of it maybe due to scheduling issues or their portfolio is not in need of new images.  Models put out their time to do a shoot, but remember photographers use expensive equipment and tools to produce the images you obtain, so there is more on the line for a photographer than just offering a shoot.  Many times a photographer can spend countless hours on images that may never get used in their portfolio due to the models inexperience, but they agreed to do a shoot with the model, so they follow through with providing the images.  Often times, models with less experience can ruin a shoot, just with the lack of performance...meaning lack of using body motion, expression and so on.  TFP's are for improvements to portfolios, both the model and the photographer utilizes TFP shoots to build their portfolios and both hope for the best outcome during the shoot. 

The timeframe of a TFP shoot can vary, anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours...depending on how both are feeling about the shoot.  I have experienced that after 8 hours both the model and photographer can get tired resulting in less appealing images.  Keep in mind the time can increase tremendously for onsight location shoots.  Plan to be prepared with makeup and refreshments to keep yourself fresh during the shoot.  Ask the photographer if they prefer you to have makeup on when you arrive or to wait, they may provide a makeup artist for you.  Sometimes there is a cost for a makeup artist that you may be asked to pay for, depending on the agreement you have with the photographer. 

This gives you some idea of what you can do to get your porfolio going, if you have further questions. You are welcome to contact me further and I would be glad to assist you.  I only offer you advise from my own experiences, but this may differ from what others may have experienced. 

Most importantly...There is valuable information here with the membership, continue to use it!

Sheri
Elusive Dreams Photography

Dec 17 05 09:57 pm Link

Model

Cheyenne

Chicago, Illinois, US

I appreciate your imput. Thank you!

Dec 18 05 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Elusive rounded it up quite well... I have to second that.

So welcome to MM and all the best. Uh and about photographer soliciting TFP....
If you ever come to Germany - yell at me... wink

Dec 18 05 07:39 am Link