Forums > General Industry > Applebottom Jeans, The Waste Of Time

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

After 2 years of scouting models, holding contests and whatnot, this is what they went with for their ad campaign.

https://cdn.efashionnetwork.com/sites/applebottoms.com/product_images/AB-D51707_AUT_ex.jpg

Now, I know some of you aren't in tune to this, but if you're holding contests for a clothing company that's supposed to be catering towards curvy models....

Well, you get the picture.

Dec 17 05 03:22 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

well their jeans don't work like they say they do anyway

they actually made my butt look flat

they say that they conform to your shape, but they really just stretch out so you have to weat a belt or your undies stick out

don't believe the hype....they are not worth the money IMO

Dec 17 05 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

IsabelAurora wrote:
well their jeans don't work like they say they do anyway

they actually made my butt look flat

they say that they conform to your shape, but they really just stretch out so you have to weat a belt or your undies stick out

don't believe the hype....they are not worth the money IMO

Sounds like regular jeans to me.

Dec 17 05 03:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I hope that is not your shot.   That is not attractive.

Dec 17 05 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

thats not actually a result of the competions they hold thats their product photograpy fpr the site... its been like that since it launched i always wondered why they used size 0 models to showcase jeans for girls with curves. They do have the ads on the site from the winner from last year... and they also should have some from the worst applebottom ever aka eva pigford dont know who made that descision

the contests are actual cool events to go to (except all th ehorrible nelly music) but they rarely pick the model that looks the best in the jeans and fits the concept of what they say the jeans are inteded for.

Dec 17 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

MHana wrote:
I hope that is not your shot.   That is not attractive.

Oh no, I "hate" studio shots.

Dec 17 05 03:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

Okay,  then it is one of the worst ads I have ever seen.   

Well,  it is.

Dec 17 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

MHana wrote:

Okay,  then it is one of the worst ads I have ever seen.   

Well,  it is.

"one of the worst"???

I could nominate that for worst photograph of all time

Dec 17 05 05:10 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

ugh, are those zippers on the ankles?  what is this? 1992?

Dec 17 05 05:48 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

heinous.

Dec 17 05 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

Looks like some flat-ass white chick.

You know what's going on?? All those rappers and stuff they've got shilling for applebottoms are just posers doing it because their PR weenies told them to or they're getting paid $100,000 per appearance or something like that. You gotta bet that the money behind applebottoms is a bunch of 60-year old white guys from wisconsin who decided they were going to "capitalize on hip hop culture" to the tune of a few $million. So when it came down to picking booty for their ad they got some conservative pose and a scrawny chick with no curves and played it safe.

I, GWC, know that to be real you cannot play it safe.

They shoulda used some chick with like a slammin' 36-24-36 figure (but only if she's  5'3" - thanks Mix-a-lot!) and shot that with a full rear-view occupying the whole camera frame.

I coulda done better than that shot! And THAT is SAYING SOMETHIN!

GWC!

Dec 17 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

That's pathetic. And at first glance, the jeans suck.

Dec 17 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Where is the booty? Not a very flattering pose either.

Dec 17 05 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

GWC wrote:

Looks like some flat-ass white chick.

You know what's going on?? All those rappers and stuff they've got shilling for applebottoms are just posers doing it because their PR weenies told them to or they're getting paid $100,000 per appearance or something like that. You gotta bet that the money behind applebottoms is a bunch of 60-year old white guys from wisconsin who decided they were going to "capitalize on hip hop culture" to the tune of a few $million. So when it came down to picking booty for their ad they got some conservative pose and a scrawny chick with no curves and played it safe.

I, GWC, know that to be real you cannot play it safe.

They shoulda used some chick with like a slammin' 36-24-36 figure (but only if she's  5'3" - thanks Mix-a-lot!) and shot that with a full rear-view occupying the whole camera frame.

I coulda done better than that shot! And THAT is SAYING SOMETHIN!

GWC!

Exactly.

It's not the worst ad i've seen, though. It's just a sad misrepresentation of the company.

Dec 17 05 08:19 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I think the pose is supposed to actually make it seem like there's more there than there is, but the problem is that there isn't anything to emphasize.

And they're not the first company to promote plus-size products and then place them on standard size models.  Which makes it really hard on the consumer because they don't get realistic idea of what it'll look like on us--otherwise they could just stick it on a hanger and take a picture!

This is also why brands like Torrid get recognition.  They stay true to their market (even though the type of clothing they now supply is more mainstream).

Dec 17 05 09:07 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

The good news is those jeans are way too ugly for me to consider buying.

YAY!!!!

Dec 17 05 10:46 pm Link

Model

Rx

the model they used doesn't even have an apple bottom.

Dec 17 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

There are way better photographs - AND "apple bottoms" on ModelMayhem.

mjr.

Dec 17 05 10:54 pm Link

Model

Ms Isadora VonPainne

Columbus, Ohio, US

I could have sworn that I seen a expose' on VH1 a while ago for the search for the perfect "AppleBottom Girl".  Just for this whole ad campaign.

Definite bad choice for an add.

Dec 18 05 06:00 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

chris paul wrote:
the contests are actual cool events to go to (except all th ehorrible nelly music) but they rarely pick the model that looks the best in the jeans and fits the concept of what they say the jeans are inteded for.

CDs and ADs with V I S I O N !!!

What happens when they hear the phrase "FAB...u...lous darrrr...ling, abs...o...lutely FAAAAB...u..lous" one time to many and begin to believe it... Worse yet the client they are working for begins to believe it.

ROTFLMAO - Garbage in = Garbage out

Studio36

Dec 18 05 06:35 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

GWC wrote:

GWC!

Imagine... J-Lo in jeans.

Studio36

Dec 18 05 06:40 am Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

It actually looks more like a man than a woman in the image, the midriff that shows is simply not feminine...  maybe it IS the company CEO, you know, run a contest, enter it yourself, declare yourself the winner and...  LOL

Dec 18 05 06:48 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Dana Nicole wrote:
heinous.

Heinous.... I like that word...  smile

I think that art director needs to read the thread "The Direction of Art Direction" here...

Someone needs to be fired.

Dec 18 05 06:49 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Mayanlee wrote:
Heinous.... I like that word...  smile

I think that art director needs to read the thread "The Direction of Art Direction" here...

Someone needs to be fired.

Just mentally flashing on Mayanlee in those jeans....

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Studio36

Dec 18 05 07:09 am Link

Model

AngelinaMonique

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Hey MMERS well I'm going to an applebottom casting tomorrow here in the city can u guys take a look @ my page and tell me if I should even bother?

Thank you

Dec 18 05 07:23 am Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

...agreed a complete digression from their overall concept, but it "ain't the studio shot" that makes it a poor shot.  I know a lot of studio shooters (present compmany included) that would have rocked the pants off the "Apple Bottom" campaign. And honestly I gotta believe this can not be their lead image.

Dec 18 05 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

AngelinaMonique wrote:
Hey MMERS well I'm going to an applebottom casting tomorrow here in the city can u guys take a look @ my page and tell me if I should even bother?

Thank you

Go, enjoy yourself.

Dec 18 05 07:33 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

they should photoshop an apple on her bottom

Dec 18 05 07:40 am Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

Crazy Benny wrote:

......LOL!

Dec 18 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

AngelinaMonique wrote:

Thank you

Have you seen this?

http://www.applebottoms.com/fitmodelframes.html

All applicants should meet the following requirements:
Height: 5'6 -5'9
Dress size: 5-9
Inseam: 32 inches
Bust: 34-36 B/C
Hips: 36+

----------

First, you are an inch shorter than their minimum.

Then, if you are 5'5" [as on your stats] your inseam won't be long enough for them to fit you. At 5'5" you are probably closer to a 28 - 29 inseam than the 32" they are asking for.

Your normal dress size may be a problem as well? Just guessing here you are what? A 10-12? [They are doing skirts and tops as well as the jeans]

You have to decide if it is worth your time to go if you don't meet the minimums.

Studio36

Dec 18 05 08:23 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

studio36uk wrote:
You have to decide if it is worth your time to go if you don't meet the minimums.

Studio36

Yeah, and unless you are some drop dead gorgeous creature that they can not live without, then they are pretty strict on their criteria and will simply send you away....

Dec 18 05 08:29 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
After 2 years of scouting models, holding contests and whatnot, this is what they went with for their ad campaign.

https://cdn.efashionnetwork.com/sites/applebottoms.com/product_images/AB-D51707_AUT_ex.jpg

Now, I know some of you aren't in tune to this, but if you're holding contests for a clothing company that's supposed to be catering towards curvy models....

I feel stupid. I heard about the casting but didn't go. Felt I didn't qualify. Shouldn't you have a booty that somehow resembles the APPLE bottom? LOL I could have done better than that!

Dec 18 05 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Stick with Levi's big_smile

Dec 18 05 10:40 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Crazy Benny wrote:

Ahhh hah! Maybe that's the key! Maybe the final ad will be completely "inflated!" LOL

edit: Bey, how do you know this?

Dec 18 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

studio36uk wrote:
Imagine... J-Lo in jeans.

Oh, I can imagine that all too well... Yum!

Heck, they could have gotten Beyonce into a pair of those... Or Mary J Blige... Or even Janet Jackson...

It's funny, when you look at the picture in the ad, you can tell that the jeans are cut to admit more booty than is actually in them. They look loose - flaccid - vaguely sad. They need to be packed with jiggly stuff to make them happy. J-Lo would fill them nicely except have you noticed that now she's down-playing her butt? sad Her butt is what got her into show business in the first place ("Look! I can sleep with a rapper! Wow!") and now she's downplaying it. Betraying your own ass is extremely sad...

mjr.

Dec 18 05 10:48 am Link

Model

Sindia

Cleveland, Ohio, US

J-Lo has her own line of jeans that are catered to shaping your bottom. If i'm not mistaken, she came out with the idea first.

Dec 18 05 11:02 am Link

Model

Jade Jadore

Chicago, Illinois, US

there's no APPLE in that BOTTOM and they do make her bottom look flatter, not flattering at all.

i also don't care for the apple logo on all the jeans.

sad

Dec 18 05 11:30 am Link

Model

Jade Jadore

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sindia wrote:
J-Lo has her own line of jeans that are catered to shaping your bottom. If i'm not mistaken, she came out with the idea first.

yes, i agree! her clothing line is made for curves!

smile

Dec 18 05 11:32 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

studio36uk wrote:

Just mentally flashing on Mayanlee in those jeans....

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Studio36

Are you saying I'm fat?!

tongue

Dec 18 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Angel Tara wrote:

Ahhh hah! Maybe that's the key! Maybe the final ad will be completely "inflated!" LOL

edit: Bey, how do you know this?

TKM forums, baby *non-flirtatious wink*

Now THIS is more like it

https://www.applebottoms.com/fitmodel/fitmodel_01.jpg

Dec 18 05 01:01 pm Link