Forums > General Industry > MUA Portfolios

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

First of all, where's the stylist section of this forum? Models and photographers get one, what about us? wink

Okay, on to my question. I am in the process of redoing my portfolio and want it to look as professional as possible. There's an amazing portfolio thread here in General Mayhem (thank you Dan for your great advice). The thing is Dan states that some of the information is geared at models and not MUAs.

So my question is...what is the standard type/layout/all that for a Makeup portfolio?

**UPDATE**

Damn, I'm an ass. Didn't read the other post carefully enough after Dan's post, some folks already covered MUA portfolios. Sorry about that.

Dec 15 05 10:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Patricia Le

West Hollywood, California, US

Hi Chris,

Regarding your book...I personally prefer to have 9x12 images of my BEST work and never more than 15 images.  You want the viewer to see your work at its best and have a strong impact in showcasing your talent as an artist.

Dec 15 05 10:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks kitty. I love your work! It's the sort of stuff I want to get into my own book.

Dec 15 05 10:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

hey great question where is out spot.
Any hoo I have a 11x14 becasue i like the bourder around the image. If you can "zoom" in or crop the image to the make to be the focuse do it. like abouve 15 is a great number and if you are going to a fashion interview take out your gore and if you are going to a gore interveiw take out the fashion, I have 3 books, one for fashion, one ofr fil effects and a theatre book too, I take all 3 books to every single interveiew in my big black bag and if they like what you do you can say well i can do this soo or if they want to see more unique or different you have another prot to pull out aswell, I go a job as a key for a runway by having my alternative ports with me.

Dec 15 05 11:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

There is a lot more info on this at www.TheMakeupStudio.com (message board for artists and stylists)  Just look under FAQ, do a search.....you will find pages of info on portfolio size.

Dec 16 05 11:03 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Chris went to your images.  When your first starting you want to show eveything you have! Try not to.  As you perfect your work you need to post only the best of the best.  If you view the shoot as a bust, don't post any pictures at all.  I would also look to see what can be cropped and enlarged.  Remember sometimes it is about you!  I would crop your avatar picture.  It shows to much model and not enough Chris.  For now change it out with the Cirque image.  It's much better and shows what you do. When I started to build my book I was at the same place you are.  I got lots of opinions, (Whch I asked for) Lots of different suggestions.  A lot that counterdicted each other.  For me I show a little of everything.  Right now it's about the total look.  You see that my stlye is consistate through out my book, and my site/sites.  I found my nitch in life style but it took years!  Good luck and most of all have fun.  R-

Dec 17 05 01:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

yah and ask phtotgraphers not to alter your make-up , i have learned this the hard way..Mandy

Dec 17 05 08:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Also having an Idea of what lighting they are going to use helps.

If its going to be a bright ringflash,outdoors, etc...
Tis all determins too what your makeup is going to end  up registering like in the pix.

As far as size I do 11x 14 just cause it has a stong impact.

Dec 17 05 08:15 pm Link