Forums > General Industry > Behind the Scenes

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Does anyone like behind the scenes shots in portfolios? I've recently started including them in my port and have gotten mixed reactions. Was just wondering what others thought.

Dec 14 05 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Not in my portfolio, but I do in a folder on my Yahoo group. I see no commercial value in showing them in my paper portfolio.

Dec 14 05 09:31 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

It has to be fun.  Not a technical shot,  but a shot of you having fun on a shoot or in a weird situation is fun to see.   But a shot with a bunch of strobes,  soft boxes and a backdrop,  No thankyou.

Dec 14 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Yeah... personallyI dont' see much value in it. Bacially, I really don't care how a photo was taken - I just want to see the photo (if that makes sense). For me, I'd rather use the space in my portfolio for non-behind the scenes photos. And I agree, I really don't think behind the scenes shots adds much to what the clients are looking at (unless they're really fun, spontaneous and have a lot of energy). I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd much rather see the finished photos rather than the "behind the scenes documentory." Anyway, just my opinion and I'm sure others will like them. So, ultimately, I'd say if you like them then include them. After all, it is your port!

-Pat-

Dec 14 05 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

One of the shots I have posted is of a model's boyfriend applying lip gloss on her since shes sitting on the beach and her hands are a bit sandy.

Dec 14 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Yeah... personallyI dont' see much value in it. Bacially, I really don't care how a photo was taken - I just want to see the photo (if that makes sense). For me, I'd rather use the space in my portfolio for non-behind the scenes photos. And I agree, I really don't think behind the scenes shots adds much to what the clients are looking at (unless they're really fun, spontaneous and have a lot of energy). I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd much rather see the finished photos rather than the "behind the scenes documentory." Anyway, just my opinion and I'm sure others will like them. So, ultimately, I'd say if you like them then include them. After all, it is your port!

-Pat-

I concur

Dec 14 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I think I should have used a different word than portfolio. I'm refering mostly to your websites, your online portfolios (Like this and others). It is obvious they do not belong in your printed books you show to clients.

Dec 14 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Joe Edelman (www.joeedelman.com) does this now and again.  I find it interesting.

Paul

Dec 15 05 12:02 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Me too.  I've got several of me working, but showing pictures of myself just isn't a good idea under any conditions.

-Don

Dec 15 05 12:17 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I do have an  OUT TAKE section on my site.  I have been doing out takes for years. bs

Dec 15 05 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

I kinda like them in informal situations, like here or critique sites or a small section on a personal portfolio website, but I'd never put them in a printed portfolio that'd go to clients.  Maybe as the final image in a leave-behind book on a bio page or something.  I certainly think they're a lot of fun to look at, but they also dispel some of the mystique and the "how'd they do that?!" factor.

Dec 15 05 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

My avatar is sort of a 'Behind the Scenes' shot, in that Marcia Souza is posing and 'spokesmodeling' my 'Pit and the Pendulum' set...

It wasn't long after that, that she was under the pendulum as it swung back and forth... wink  (She did a great job too!)

Dec 15 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Me too.  I've got several of me working, but showing pictures of myself just isn't a good idea under any conditions.

-Don

I agree with this as well... While I do have one photo of me on my MM page it just isn't a good idea to have more. I mean, I really don't want to increase the chances of scaring people off! If only I were a stud like Eric...  sad

-P-

Dec 15 05 01:19 pm Link