Forums > Newbie Forum > New to MM....Need pointers and photogs.

Model

Kerry C.

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Hello everyone,

I am interested in where to go from here. I am interested in speaking with some photographers so I can begin a portfolio and also with some experienced models to give me pointers and how tos. My pictures stink because they are not professional. Me, my friend and a digital camera is all I had. Please help. I am ready to knock on some doors and break into this business.

Kerry

Dec 14 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

if you want to really get going, then take some Polaroids, without make-up and in a bikini, find the nearest legitimate agencies, and show them the shots.  They'll take it from there.

Dec 17 05 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Suggest you take a look at www.joeedelman.com  Great site for a newbie, and it's free.

Dec 17 05 08:59 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

oooh oooh don't forget about www.newmodels.com!

Dec 17 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
if you want to really get going, then take some Polaroids, without make-up and in a bikini, find the nearest legitimate agencies, and show them the shots.  They'll take it from there.

With your stats, I'm not going to agree with Christopher.  You'll be playing yourself against 5'9" girls 5 years your junior and still with more photo shoot experience.

As far a finding photographers, the "browse" link at the top of the page ... https://www.modelmayhem.com/browse.php ... is a quick search.  Look through for photographers local to you who's work you admire.  Approach them with a model mayhem email asking if they like your look and if they'd be willing to work with you.  Some may want money to do portfolio development, and some may want to do it for free in a Trade For Print or Trade For CD (Prints or a CD of images for you to use for your book only).  It's your choice on who's work you need and whether or not you wish to pay for it...however I will say that you will have a more professional experience if you're paying than if you're trading for prints or CDs.

Either way, get a few (3-5) shoots under your belt before going out and seeking agency representation because you'll need the experience to compete, and you'll want a few shots in a printed book to show competence.

As for looking for modeling tips...there's several threads we've discussed that in.  Browse around through these forums (I always recommend holding off on commenting until you see how the forum plays before getting yourself in hot water)  There's also a search function, that will search through thread titles, at the bottom of the page.

Dec 17 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

her nearest legitimate agencys are commercial print agencys in tampa and fashion /commercial print agencies in miami.

a couple of the fashion agencys in miami will accept polaroids.but she's short. soooo for the most part, they want a sellable model with an established book..

so more important to know how the agency wants to be approached, then making a broad statement, that might find her application in the trash...

we aint in NYC..we are local and secondary markets down here..things work a little different.

Dec 17 05 09:15 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

her nearest legitimate agencys are commercial print agencys in tampa and fashion /commercial print agencies in miami.

a couple of the fashion agencys in miami will accept polaroids.but she's short. soooo for the most part, they want a sellable model with an established book..

so more important to know how the agency wants to be approached, then making a broad statement, that might find her application in the trash...

we aint in NYC..we are local and secondary markets down here..things work a little different.

What he is saying is: have him shoot your port because his looks are what get you into agencies. I believe he IS the established shooter in the 'secondary' market in Tampa.

Dec 17 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

The best, matter-of-fact answer.

Dec 17 05 02:08 pm Link