Forums > General Industry > How long can you last?

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Longest shoot a little over 11 hours with a food break. It was for a friend that did makeup for me for about 5 years. She was only 5'5" and did not want to model because she thought she was too short. We shot some in the studio, went on location to the local mall, then went to the beach, and back to the studio. Took a little over 700 shots put together a portfolio and she is currently with one of the largest agencies in the country. Was it worth my time? Absolutely. Did I take too many pictures? Hell no. Could I have done it with less? Probably but why. It was high energy shoot from start to finish.

Dec 15 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I myself am wondering how many motor drives that fellow goes through in a year. 6000 shots in 10 hours is 600 shots an hour or ten shots *per minute,* assuming no breaks at all! It would take two assistants just to keep him loaded. If he uses digital, just substitute "cameras" for "motor drives." Actually, use "cameras" for both of them. 6000 frames is 5 to 10 percent of the MTBF for a camera shutter in most cameras, I should think.

My average shoot is 2-3 hours and yields 150-250 photographs. I find that that number keeps going down (my last shoot, which I told a funny story about on the boards, yielded exactly 64 pictures) but that my number of "keepers" is staying about the same.

My longest shoot was about five hours and involved three models and a PA. I took about 400 pictures, but there was a dinner break, three location changes, and rather long makeup breaks.

M

Dec 15 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fryer

Denver, Colorado, US

Longest ive done wasn't that long but it was under somewhat colder conditions:
shooting for about 3 hours in about 25F degree weather in the shade the entire time.

Dec 15 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

How long?  Well, how many models do you have?

And how much rope?

Dec 16 05 12:25 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Why would someone even need 6000 pictures lol

My longest shoot was 6 hours but I dont do that anymore for TFCD. Now if it's a TFCD shoot I will only do no more then 4 hours if it's paid then I don't care as long as it's reasonable.

Dec 16 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

6000 images?  At some point they may need to serious consider video to get what they really want.

-Jose

Dec 16 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Thomas B wrote:
So I was talking to a model the other day and she was telling me she was on a 10 hour shoot and they did 6000 photos. My questions is how long are you good to go for a shoot. This is for both models and photographers. My eyes go nuts after about 3 hours looking through the view finder....I like to keep my shoots between 2-3 hours long. I always feel like I get plenty of good stuff in that amount of time. So what about you?

HA HA HA LOL

I know what you talkuing about, I think I was there that day... 8 DVDs and 6k photos,   JPEG  and a fast cannon.  Ask her how much she paid for that.  Great...

Dec 16 05 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
How long?  Well, how many models do you have?

And how much rope?

You need to come to FetishCon next year!

Dec 16 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

luciano  Mello wrote:

HA HA HA LOL

I know what you talkuing about, I think I was there that day... 8 DVDs and 6k photos,   JPEG  and a fast cannon.  Ask her how much she paid for that.  Great...

Hey Luciano,
Actually I was talking about a different model but Alex just told me about that shoot. I guess it is common thing to shoot that long. Maybe I need glasses because my eyes go nutty after about 3 hours....lol.....and I did hear how much she paid.....I am jeleous lol. I am sure you and I will meet soon.
Take care,
Thomas

Dec 16 05 05:38 pm Link