Forums > Newbie Forum > What outfits will work best at shoots?

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

Hi everyone.

Well Yeah I'm new to this modeling thing and I just have a quick question.

For now I'm doing TFCP and TFP work and I usually have to bring my own wardrobe. I never know what to bring?

I'm asking those a wee bit more experienced what can I bring that I can never go wrong with?

Dec 14 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Off the top of my head and not having been here long I would say:

-clothes that YOU feel good in (makes you more at ease)
-clothes that compliment you as a model
-I don;t think you can go wrong with a nice dress or skirt and blouse myself...

Again no expert (you should see MY closet!)

Ken

Dec 14 05 11:49 am Link

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

lol Thats the thing. I'm not Paris..I don't have and endless supply of outfits. I would hate to bring the same outfit to a shoot.

Wondering if there were any tricks out there?

Dec 14 05 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I'll bump this post up so the MODELS can reply! I would think coordinates that let you mix and match. A top that could be worn with jeans OR a skirt, or under a jacket.

But I'm a GUY so what do I know? Hope you get some GOOD and helpful answers!

Ken

Dec 14 05 12:12 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

KARIM wrote:

buy and return

Dec 14 05 12:14 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

or get boutiques to loan you clothing

or get your friends to loan you clothing

it really depends on what type of shoot you are doing as to determine what the essentials are smile

Dec 14 05 12:15 pm Link

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

lol buy and return sound good. smile

Dec 14 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

Sorry and thank you for all you your responses!!

Dec 14 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

from your port it looks like you are after the glamour market, that may help narrow your choices, i ask models to bring a white button up shirt, with a lacey bra and jeans, we start buttoned up then unbutttoned to show the bra, then full body with the jeans, tank tops or anything with a large cowl neck usually work, skirts, and a halter top dress usually gets a shoot done, try ross, i have picked up some cool thing for almost nothing.

Dec 15 05 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Tip Van Nguyen

Port Orchard, Washington, US

Buy and return is good. You want to bring a pair of nude and black underwear. Also bring shoes, lots of shoes. Also bring like a couple pairs of nice clothes depending on the theme of the shoot... Nordstrom, Macy's and Robinson's May.. good places to get clothes and return.. they're return policy is awesome and they carry decent clothes. Also don't forget target...

Dec 15 05 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In general, particularly if you're very pale, black is not your friend.  If the photographer exposes for detail in the clothing, your skin will look horrible.  If he exposes for your skin, you won't see any detail in the clothing.

It's a sad truth for all those goth models out there.

Dec 15 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Maybe we're unique out here in the Pacific Northwest, but a lot of photographers I know keep and acquire wardrobe/shoes/accessories from shoots, a lot of which never get used, but I keep.  Ask if wardrobe is provided.  I have models mixing and matching stuff all the time during shoots, clothes they bring, clothes I provide, etc...  just be creative and feature your strengths.  For example, I'm looking for the right model to wear a stunning cocktail dress, but because it's floor length, she needs to be tall, blonde to maximize the dress color, and has to look natural in a sophisticated setting with a shaker and martini... but I digress...  LOL  As a general rule pick the wardrobe to fit the setting and emphasize your features. Pick colors that work with the make-up, your hair color, etc., and as a general rule, I shy away from overly busy patterns unless that's part of the shot's purpose, distracts from the model, clashes with the setting, etc...  Accessorize, and little things like changing earrings/jewelry along with wardrobe changes can make a significant difference...

Dec 15 05 08:04 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

When a model doesn't have alot of clothes to shoot in, I make arrangement for us to go to a second hand clothing store. You'd be surprised  what you can get for little money.

Dec 15 05 08:11 am Link

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses really learning a lot. Great Idea I never considered going to a thrift shop for some items. I can get really creative with that. Thank You!

Dec 15 05 08:15 am Link

Model

The Crimson Kitty

Hackensack, New Jersey, US

KARIM wrote:
lol Thats the thing. I'm not Paris..I don't have and endless supply of outfits. I would hate to bring the same outfit to a shoot.

I tend to make my own clothing for the shoots that I go too...also I do my own makeup as well....but not all models can bring forth a production to a shoot! LOL

Two words....THRIFT STORE!!!!! Go hunting and i'm SURE you will find something you can work with...and the best part about it is that its cheap!

Dec 15 05 08:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

KARIM wrote:
Hi everyone.

Well Yeah I'm new to this modeling thing and I just have a quick question.

For now I'm doing TFCP and TFP work and I usually have to bring my own wardrobe. I never know what to bring?

I'm asking those a wee bit more experienced what can I bring that I can never go wrong with?

bring things that can layer, bring all colours that you like and look good on you, dont for get good clean undergarments ( I have had nasty experiances) Bring more thank you will need and try not to cram a bag full of stuff you want the things you wear to be pressed and ready to wear.. bring a little black dress when in doubt

Dec 16 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Dec 16 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Seth Rutledge wrote:
In general, particularly if you're very pale, black is not your friend.  If the photographer exposes for detail in the clothing, your skin will look horrible.  If he exposes for your skin, you won't see any detail in the clothing.

Shadow detail in clothing is easily corrected.  wink

Don't underestimate thrift stores.  Watch for closeout sales.  I've even found some interesting things at garage sales (vintage hats and items of that nature.)  Heck, if you know someone in your size who has a well-rounded wardrobe, borrow!

As for what to bring - be creative.  If it feels like you're wearing the same clothes to every shoot, you probably are.  Don't be afraid to bring wild stuff.

Dec 16 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Nothing and why does your home page go to a site of a photographer that is an agent?

Dec 17 05 12:23 am Link