Forums > General Industry > How can you tell if an agency is good?

Model

Pa Model - Laura Mae

Brickerville, Pennsylvania, US

I recently thought I could solve all my stressful booking matters by simply working with one of the agencies that has offered to work with me.

I'm starting to realize working with agencies can be almost as skecthy as booking my own work. What are some good ways to see if an agency is good? (I apolozie if this was asked before... I scanned for this question)

I know to check the business beauru thing, I know not to pay any fees, but what else can I do to ensure it's good and solid?

Thanks you helpful people smile

Dec 14 05 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Jax Professional Photos

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Ask them for the names and phone numbers/emails of at least 10 other recent models they worked with and contact those models BEFORE you commit yourself to anything.

The best thing models can do to avoid problems with agencies and photographers is to NETWORK with other models to see what their experiences were.

And make this site your Bible:

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=477

Dec 14 05 06:12 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Frankly, the Better Business Bureau is less than reliable in that it depends upon a complainant actually registering the complaint (for a fee). Not many people really want to bother shelling out for this nowadays.

And I would, personally, be highly suspect of any person/agency that gave out my phone number to a stranger (unless they asked me directly for permission and were given consent). How do you know these people aren't personal friends or something?

The more telling indication is the clients they have actually booked models with. Have they actually booked models with clients? Were they able to collect pay? What is the quality of the clientele? What type of jobs have they booked? What does their model roster look like? How often do the best models of the agency work and how often the rest of them? Are they called for models or do they scan around public listings for jobs, too? Take a look at the paperwork lying around.... does it look like they're canvassing for you? Does the booker have any kind of a network going?

Go to www.newmodels.com and read up.

Dec 14 05 07:01 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

tampabayphotos wrote:
Ask them for the names and phone numbers/emails of at least 10 other recent models they worked with and contact those models BEFORE you commit yourself to anything.

Problem is, if you walk into a reputable agency and ask those questions they're going to blow you off.  There is simply FAR too much talent beating down their doors that will jump through hoops for them to deal with someone who's asking them to jump through hoops for the talent.

tampabayphotos wrote:
The best thing models can do to avoid problems with agencies and photographers is to NETWORK with other models to see what their experiences were.

Now that, is excellent advice, if you can learn who the models signed with that agency are.  Without firsthand knowledge of the industry though, it's going to be a little more difficult.

---

I would add to this and say that you should just cold call the agency and ask them for a list of photographers they use for testing.  Take that list and find their websites, contact them, ask them questions about the agency and see what other work they've done.

Andy

Dec 14 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I summed up in another thread:

A legit agency will sign you for your looks, then tell you to go out and spend money.  A scam house will ask you for money to improve your book as a condition of signing you.

That being said, your best friends are going to be your scam-o-meter and your logic.

Legit agencies have offices which you will be asked to come visit (you won't need to ask where the office is).  Legit agencies are made up of more than one person.  Legit agencies have a list of clients longer than my...well let's just say it's long, and they'll most likely be telling you about them every few seconds.

So...You'll know.

If you're still confused, go to NYC, and go to one of the agents there on open call day.  You'll see how most agencies operate and get a peek at their offices even if you don't get signed.

Dec 14 05 09:53 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Pa Model - Laura Mae wrote:
I'm starting to realize working with agencies can be almost as skecthy as booking my own work.

How so?

Nothing against you personally as it would apply to many with similar presentation, but based on your imaging package and stats if a land based agency were to accept you that in itself would raise some questions.

Dec 14 05 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It can't be any worse.  You're a beautiful young lady but you don't have a decent picture posted.  There are hundreds of photographers on this site that could help you.  Just take a look at some ports of photographers in your area.

Paul

Dec 14 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

tampabayphotos wrote:

And make this site your Bible:

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=477

Don't ever do this!  Do not, I repeat.  Do not ask any agency for contact numbers
and or e-mails of any of their models.  Look at their talent book.  Do they
have a land based office?  Are they licensed and bonded?  Who are their clients?
Are they asking for money from you?  If they are a new or small agency they
may not have many clients but in most states they must be licensed and bonded.
This protects the talents from a non paying client.   If everything seems to
check out sign up with them and hopefully you will be sent to auditions.

Dec 14 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Study the industry.  Know who their high-profile models are, if any.  Find out their client list - which can often be found listed on their website, or indirectly by looking through their talent's online portfolios.

Knowledge is power.

JAY

Dec 15 05 07:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Pa Model - Laura Mae wrote:
I recently thought I could solve all my stressful booking matters by simply working with one of the agencies that has offered to work with me.

I'm starting to realize working with agencies can be almost as skecthy as booking my own work. What are some good ways to see if an agency is good? (I apolozie if this was asked before... I scanned for this question)

I know to check the business beauru thing, I know not to pay any fees, but what else can I do to ensure it's good and solid?

Thanks you helpful people smile

Legit good agencies rep models that work on major campaigns, their models will have tear sheets from catalogs and ads, their portfolios will scream "PRO"  you won't find girls in snapshot photos laying around in bikinis, in lingerie, or naked.  Their models will primarily be tall (over 5'8 and thin)  They will not ask for money up front and they will not be scouting for models....they will be mostly saying "no" to model hopefuls that drop in or call.  They will have clients like Levi Strauss, A&F, Sony, etc. You will know who their clients are because you will see their models in those ads.  They won't try to sell you photos or classes. They normally won't be eager to sign you. 

Go to Elite, Ford, Next, one of the major agencies and watch how they operate...try to get an appointment...you will see how a real agency operates....then you should have no trouble spotting a shady agency.

Dec 16 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

By how much money they DON'T ask you for. lol

Dec 16 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Mary wrote:
Legit good agencies rep models that work on major campaigns, their models will have tear sheets from catalogs and ads, their portfolios will scream "PRO"  you won't find girls in snapshot photos laying around in bikinis, in lingerie, or naked.  Their models will primarily be tall (over 5'8 and thin)  They will not ask for money up front and they will not be scouting for models....they will be mostly saying "no" to model hopefuls that drop in or call.  They will have clients like Levi Strauss, A&F, Sony, etc. You will know who their clients are because you will see their models in those ads.  They won't try to sell you photos or classes. They normally won't be eager to sign you. 

Go to Elite, Ford, Next, one of the major agencies and watch how they operate...try to get an appointment...you will see how a real agency operates....then you should have no trouble spotting a shady agency.

That was simple enough!

Dec 16 05 07:22 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

From: https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=18926

As far as searching for agencies goes, your best bet will probably be attending local open walk-in calls, usually advertised in local newspapers and 'zines.  When researching, always do a Google search for the name of the agency plus the word "scam".  Sites like the Better Business Bureau, easybackgroundcheck.com, and modelingscams.com might also be good to browse, but beware-- their info can be unfairly biased at times.

Dec 16 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
That was simple enough!

Yes, too simple.  Models in mid-major markets should view the operations of Ford, Elite and Next.  Oops, they aren't located there! 

While it is important to study those agencies from their business model approach, there is nothing that says a legit agency must have national brand level clients (most don't), nor the fact there are fees (look books, comps, etc.) and that the agency owners and bookers aren't scouting all the time. 

Most modeling is local.  Agencies operate to satisfy their marketplace.  There are many legit agencies that operate under the same conditions of those with the highest name recognition, but it is a distortion to think that the clients, roster acceptance and total operation is on equal footing.  If it was they wouldn't remain in business.

Dec 16 05 09:13 pm Link