Forums > General Industry > I need air brush advise...

Photographer

Arice

Elkridge, Maryland, US

I am seeking some advice from anyone who considers themselves "experts" when it comes to this type of painting.

Questions...

1. How much would you charge to paint  32 women < football jerseys>?
2. What brand of airbrush equipment would you recommend?
3. How many assistance would I need to complete this job in under 6 hours?

Dec 13 05 09:09 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Arice wrote:
I am seeking some advice from anyone who considers themselves "experts" when it comes to this type of painting.

Questions...

1. 32 women....probably around $3-6000. Depending on coverage, location, and if I had to cover things like painting location, model booking, hair/makeup and etc. Maybe more if it was a major corporate gig, maybe less if it was just a party at some club. Travel might cost extra.
2. When is the event? If you don't already have airbrush gear and know how to use it, I'd say forget it. It takes time to learn airbrush, and any client that will pay to have 32 women painted is going to want CLEAN results, not some person staring at an airbrush saying "I wonder why it's not working?"
3. Figure 1 expert artist could do maybe 1 full jersey in an 45-60 minutes. One decent artist might do it in 60-120 minutes. An assistant would average one every 3 hours or so. I would say 2 experts, 4 solid artists, and 6 assistants would probably do it.

Now...if you'd like to form a team for this gig, let me know. I know several artist besides myself that could get together, make some killer exacting stencils, and deliver. Remember if you want to pull this off you need happy artists, happy models, happy client, and happy sponsors.

I see by your work, that you do mostly abstract. Do you also do painted clothes and such? It is a whole different ball game, but can be great fun. If you still want airbrush advice after what I said on #2...let me know.

~Rich
http://www.secondskinimages.com

Dec 13 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Arice wrote:

Somehow I suspect this is going to turn into a much bigger job than you are imagining.

Rich is probably a good guy to give you advice, but you are biting off more than you are thinking (and I, personally, would charge at least $6,000 to do it).

Dec 13 05 10:05 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Arice wrote:

Questions...

the money won't even be worth it! lol

Dec 13 05 10:11 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

By the way, the price in NO WAY reflected if you have to supply models.

Dec 13 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Arice wrote:

Are you serious?  It would be at least $100 each woman for a full-coverage jersey - and that's if the customer isn't looking for a lot of detail.  Photo realism?  Make it $200.

Arice wrote:

Let me get this straight... You are thinking of taking on a HUGE airbrushing job and you don't even know what brand of brush to look into?  Do you have any experience using an airbrush?  Do you have any of the equipment you need to get started? 

Arice wrote:

You have to average 5 girls each hour, so I would say a minimum of 5 assistants (with one or two extra just to do the prep work and organize that many people.)  To get the job done, you're going to have to have at least 4 airbrushes going non-stop to get done in 6 hours, with one doing some fine brush detail for that finishing touch.

Let's not forget that you're going to have to find artists experienced in airbrush (unless you want the job to look sloppy.)

Honestly, if you have no airbrushing experience - and none of the equipment - I would let this one slide.  I don't think you have any idea what you're getting yourself into.  Even if you use stencils and templates, brushing 32 jerseys in 6 hours is a huge undertaking.

Dec 13 05 10:43 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Upon thinking about it....my orginal quote may have been a bit low, if you want more detail, email or call me (phone # on website).

~Rich

Dec 13 05 10:45 pm Link