Forums > General Industry > star power entertainment in LA ?????

Model

MAILEKOP

San Pedro, California, US

has anyone heard of star power entertainment???
i went on an audition, they said they liked my look...bla..bla...bla

but then went on saying i need all new pictures and i would have to use on of their photographers...
paying $1,000 for the shoot + extra to pay for the pictures to be printed up as well......

does this sound NORMAL to everyone?  to me, it sounds a bit fishy??

any comments are greatly welcome as i feel like it is one of those "scams" you know  smile

thanks for your imput
mahalo
maile

Dec 13 05 10:03 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I've heard of them. Google their name. Not good news.

Dec 13 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

MAILEKOP wrote:
paying $1,000 for the shoot + extra to pay for the pictures to be printed up as well......

That's your que to get up and walk out.

Legit agencies will never charge you a dime.

They pay you!

You don't pay them or their photographers or even the parking meter in front of thier building.

Keep looking.

Dec 13 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I like your look for a $1,000. too!  In fact, I like all looks for a $1,000.

Drop me a line...let's shoot!

Dec 13 05 10:18 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

MAILEKOP wrote:

uh...actually...it does sound normal....

and it becomes more and more normal because more and more people give in to this kind of crap....

go to www.newmodels.com  seriously check it out it has some great info smile

Dec 13 05 10:22 am Link

Model

MAILEKOP

thank you for all your responses and opinions....i thought it sounded wierd....
i will keep looking  smile
eheheh
have a wonderful day everyone!!!  big_smile
mahalo
maile

Dec 13 05 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

This is why many potential models never get going, start up fees are ridiculous! If only these girls knew that you dont have to pay thousands of dollars and be with some agency to be a model...

Dec 13 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Voltaire

Los Angeles, California, US

NOW THAT'S THE BIGGEST SCAM I EVER HEARD OF!!!! EVEN THE NAME OF THE COMPANY IS A SCAM!!! STARPOWER!!! C'mon!

Dec 13 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

MichaelBell wrote:
If only these girls knew that you dont have to pay thousands of dollars and be with some agency to be a model...

While all models don't "need" an agency, that is by far the swiftest return on any investment.  And there are many at the agency level that have invested mightily in developing their imaging package and have returned that investment many times over.

The key is to invest wisely.  Internet agencies are not good examples of doing so.

Dec 13 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

MichaelBell wrote:
This is why many potential models never get going, start up fees are ridiculous! If only these girls knew that you dont have to pay thousands of dollars and be with some agency to be a model...

I understand your point, but the fact is that it always has, and always will cost money to get into this business.  Being a model is a business and there are costs associated with it.

The trick is to know what the legitimate costs are and what the scams are. 

As an example, if you sign with Wilhelmina, there is a pretty good likelihood that they will look at your book and tell you to start from scratch.  They will have a look they want to market.

They will give you a list of names, tell you to pick the photographer (or photographers) of your choice and go shoot a book.  This could cost thousands of dollars.  If the agency likes you, they might arrange for an advance, paid for out of future earnings, but don't hold your breath.

They will certainly want you to have comp cards with their name on it.  They won't sell them to you, but they will spec what they want.  You will have to pay.

The agency will probably have a "head book" which they will ask you to be in.  All of the models share the cost of printing it.

If you get co-op'd to go overseas, your living and travel costs may be advanced, but somewhere in the equation, you will be paying them (usually they take these costs out of your income).

The list goes on.  It costs money to become Cindy Crawford.  Burt Reynolds once said that it took him fifteen years to become an overnight success.  That doesn't work for models, but to get to the next level (national ads, billboard, magazines and more) takes time, effort, money, percieverance, and most of all the ambition to make it happen.

You need to steer clear of the scams, (the the OP definitely ran into one), but don't ever think success will be totally free.  If you wait to be discovered, you will probably do nothing but wait.

Success is something you make, it is not something that is given to you.

Good luck!

Dec 13 05 12:41 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

MAILEKOP wrote:
has anyone heard of star power entertainment???
i went on an audition, they said they liked my look...bla..bla...bla

but then went on saying i need all new pictures and i would have to use on of their photographers...

any comments are greatly welcome as i feel like it is one of those "scams" you know  smile

thanks for your imput
mahalo
maile

when they ask for money, there scamming you. just walk away.

Dec 13 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

I understand your point, but the fact is that it always has, and always will cost money to get into this business.  Being a model is a business and there are costs associated with it.

The trick is to know what the legitimate costs are and what the scams are. 

As an example, if you sign with Wilhelmina, there is a pretty good likelihood that they will look at your book and tell you to start from scratch.  They will have a look they want to market.

They will give you a list of names, tell you to pick the photographer (or photographers) of your choice and go shoot a book.  This could cost thousands of dollars.  If the agency likes you, they might arrange for an advance, paid for out of future earnings, but don't hold your breath.

They will certainly want you to have comp cards with their name on it.  They won't sell them to you, but they will spec what they want.  You will have to pay.

The agency will probably have a "head book" which they will ask you to be in.  All of the models share the cost of printing it.

If you get co-op'd to go overseas, your living and travel costs may be advanced, but somewhere in the equation, you will be paying them (usually they take these costs out of your income).

The list goes on.  It costs money to become Cindy Crawford.  Burt Reynolds once said that it took him fifteen years to become an overnight success.  That doesn't work for models, but to get to the next level (national ads, billboard, magazines and more) takes time, effort, money, percieverance, and most of all the ambition to make it happen.

You need to steer clear of the scams, (the the OP definitely ran into one), but don't ever think success will be totally free.  If you wait to be discovered, you will probably do nothing but wait.

Success is something you make, it is not something that is given to you.

Good luck!

Short form: Legit agencies will sign you for your looks, and then tell you to go spend money to promote...scam agencies will ask for the money before signing you.

Dec 13 05 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

raveneyes wrote:
Short form: Legit agencies will sign you for your looks, and then tell you to go spend money to promote...scam agencies will ask for the money before signing you.

Golly gosh that was concise!

Dec 13 05 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Golly gosh that was concise!

But accurate, no?

big_smile

Dec 13 05 03:10 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Who is the name of your contact there as I believe there are 2 Star Power Enter. in L.A.

If it is a guy by the name of Bruce, let me know.

Dec 13 05 03:50 pm Link

Model

MAILEKOP

Aimercat wrote:
Who is the name of your contact there as I believe there are 2 Star Power Enter. in L.A.

If it is a guy by the name of Bruce, let me know.

yes...that is him....bruce.....

Dec 13 05 04:08 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

check your MM mail

Dec 13 05 04:34 pm Link