Forums > General Industry > Age on Profile for Searches

Model

Jenni L

Westerville, Ohio, US

I will be 32 next week.  I know that I look much younger than that.  Do I continue to put my real age on my profile?  If a potential client does a search for 18-30, I will not even be considered.  Thanks for your advice.

Dec 13 05 07:38 am Link

Photographer

UTMOSTVISION

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Hhhmm... sounds like you actually have it figured out yourself.  If the search criteria is 30 then you are out, but same holds if the search is for 28 yr olds.

I'm a "honesty best policy" person. 

But I can say if and when someone sees your profile, I think they'll be interested in using you.

Probably didn't help. LOL.

Dec 13 05 08:21 am Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

I'm always frustrated by the sites that offer an age box instead of an age range box, or instead of offering both. It's so rare, but would be so useful.

Dec 14 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff LaMarche

San Diego, California, US

Jenni L wrote:
I will be 32 next week.  I know that I look much younger than that.  Do I continue to put my real age on my profile?  If a potential client does a search for 18-30, I will not even be considered.  Thanks for your advice.

Tough call. I understand your concern, and if your pictures are current, you are absolutely right - you do look younger than your age, and better than a great many 25 year olds.

Perhaps a compromise? Maybe you could put a younger age in the actual age field, and then in your profile, put your real age with an explanation of why you did it, something along the lines of (this might need some wordsmithing - I'm typing it on the fly):

"I'm 32 years old. I know it says I'm 29, but as a model, looks are what matters, not what's written on my birth certificate, and as you can see from my pictures I look like I'm in my late twenties."

That way, you still come up on the searches, AND you're still being honest with prospective clients. If they don't read your profile, they have nobody to blame but themselves, and once you get them to your page and they actually see the pictures, few people are going to be concerned about those extra couple of years.

Dec 15 05 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Stick to the truth.  Can never go wrong with that!

Dec 15 05 07:15 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Are you kidding.  I'm 33 and proud...I know models older than me that are beautiful and do great work...and feel no need to lie about their age.  I've never had listing my real age come between me and the work I want to do.  Don't lie about your age....it's just childish!

Dec 15 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff LaMarche

San Diego, California, US

Susi wrote:
Are you kidding.  I'm 33 and proud...I know models older than me that are beautiful and do great work...and feel no need to lie about their age.  I've never had listing my real age come between me and the work I want to do.  Don't lie about your age....it's just childish!

No offense, but you wouldn't exactly know about the jobs you didn't get because somebody entered a maximum age in the search field and ended up with a list of models that didn't include you, now would you? I agree with you that it's childish to lie about your age because you don't want to admit your real age, but she clearly has no qualms about people knowing her real age. It's altogether another thing to tweak data that the system requires you to populate in order to maximize your chances of showing up in somebody's search results. She is obviously not ashamed of her age and shouldn't be, she's just trying to increase her odds of getting jobs. I wouldn't call that childish at all, especially if it's clear from her profile what her real age is.

Dec 15 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

The Cameras Eye

Piermont, New Hampshire, US

Jenni L wrote:

Yes, keep your real age. Older models are hard to come by and seem to be in more demand the past few years.

Paul

Dec 16 05 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Exposure FX

Davison, Michigan, US

figuresculptor wrote:

Tough call. I understand your concern, and if your pictures are current, you are absolutely right - you do look younger than your age, and better than a great many 25 year olds.

Perhaps a compromise? Maybe you could put a younger age in the actual age field, and then in your profile, put your real age with an explanation of why you did it, something along the lines of (this might need some wordsmithing - I'm typing it on the fly):

"I'm 32 years old. I know it says I'm 29, but as a model, looks are what matters, not what's written on my birth certificate, and as you can see from my pictures I look like I'm in my late twenties."

That way, you still come up on the searches, AND you're still being honest with prospective clients. If they don't read your profile, they have nobody to blame but themselves, and once you get them to your page and they actually see the pictures, few people are going to be concerned about those extra couple of years.

I have seen models do this, put a younger age in the age field and give real age in the profile. I think that is the best way. I look a lot younger then I am also, so I know where you are coming from! I do believe that honesty is the best policy. And if you tell them your real age in your profile, isin't that being honest? hope this helps.

Adam

Dec 16 05 08:17 am Link

Model

Jenni L

Westerville, Ohio, US

Thanks everyone for your advice.  I definately don't like to lie and I am proud that I still look good for my age.  My local agency has a webpage that lists me in the over 30 crowd, so I am missing out anyone that does not look there. Thanks again.

Dec 16 05 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I hate when a model shows up looking 30 and her images look 21. Skin shows signs of age, and if everyone else on the shoot is much younger than you you might look wrong for the shoot. Put down the wrong age on the profile if you want, but have at least one compleatley unretouched close face shot posted, and an explanation as to your true age,

Star

Dec 16 05 09:55 pm Link

Model

Jenni L

Westerville, Ohio, US

Do my images honestly look like my face has been retouched?  If you really looked at them you will see that I don't even have that much make-up on.  I know that they may not look perfect, but I don't want my face to look like plastic after a retouch.

Dec 16 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Dec 17 05 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

My searches are rarely done with an upper limit to age.  I have a specific look for the photograph in mind long before I shoot.  I can think of many pictures you would be perfect for.

Dec 17 05 12:28 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I'd say go ahead and put your real age.

Reason being, in MOST cases, real castings are posted as casting calls, you go find them and respond, as opposed to casting agents, photographers or clients actually browsing the web over 100s of portfolios to find that one person.  Most paying gigs involve industry professionals that are too busy to go look for models, and they know that models will always come to them, by responding to castingcalls. 

so put your real age on your portfolio, if there is a casting call for a slightly lower age-range that you are confident that you fit in, go audition anyway.  chances are they'd ask for your birthdate to make sure you're of legal age (and I doubt that this will even be the case as while you do look younger than your age, you're definitely not looking for an 18-21 casting), otherwise they won't bother to calculate your age down to the specific as long as you look appropriately in that age-range ideal.

Dec 17 05 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jenni L wrote:
Do my images honestly look like my face has been retouched?  If you really looked at them you will see that I don't even have that much make-up on.  I know that they may not look perfect, but I don't want my face to look like plastic after a retouch.

It isn't that, it is just you look over 25 to me, but that is just a skin thing for me. I have had many models retouch their photos until they look very young, but when they come to the shoot fine wrinkles around the eyes when they smile create a problem in post-production. I have had frequent tanners have the smae problem...

Dec 17 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Jenni L wrote:
If a potential client does a search for 18-30, I will not even be considered.  Thanks for your advice.

Typically clients won't search for that large of a disparity.  Castings are based on age range and having the look to meet it and 18-30 is usually going to be too wide.  As for searching, I would think most doing a search for someone near or around your age would choose a 26-34 parameter when seeking the right look.

On Mayhem it doesn't matter much.  This site has the weakest search engine of any site out there and it's all hit and miss with most of the attraction being the avatar.  I'm surprised more people don't bitch, Rule #1 for a modeling portal is having a powerful search engine.

Dec 17 05 01:26 am Link