Forums > General Industry > I'm moving to North Carolina in April... I think

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So a couple of things I am wondering.

1. I have never lived in an area where humidity was a major factor. I've heard the area I am going to is very humid. How does this affect (if at all) cameras and equipment?

2. I won't have a studio right away. What is the climate like there? Can you shoot outdoors year round?

Dec 11 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

It is a wonderful place.  The weather is largely wonderful and the people are great.

I did a shooting trip there in 1999 and shot 23 models in ten days (of course I paid them all so they were a bit easier to find).

The nice thing about that part of the country is that within 400 miles you have millions and millions of people.  There are lots of opportunties.

Enjoy your move.

Dec 11 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks for the reply Alan.

But Oh Man! This is embarassing! No models in North Carolina want to shoot with me? I might as well just sell my camera phone and become a tobacco farmer!

Dec 12 05 04:40 pm Link

Model

Prin S lea

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

There are plenty of models in N.C . I have a best friend in Raleigh,and she is a sought after model. I would work with ya if need be *~MUAH~*

Dec 12 05 04:51 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John... you are one silly billy goat. If you move... that means no more shooting with me and we both know how terribly horrible and damaging that could be to you wink~

Dec 12 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Gotta warn you that I have a friend who moved from NYC to North Carolina (Raleigh) and got so bored there that she then fled for a few years on a UN mission in war-torn and underdeveloped East Timor...

Good luck.

I'm moving to Cyprus in the Meditteranean next year and fear I'll find far fewer models there than you will in North Carolina.

Dec 12 05 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Ok enough! North Carolina is my home state and the girls are prettier NO where else! Raleigh is home to NC State (Go Wolfpack)-even people in Cali have heard of Jim Valvano? Raleigh is part of the Research Triangle Park and Chapel Hill is home to that OTHER college (UNC). There is also Duke University. Raleigh has several private women's college (Meredith for one) and they do not allow ugly girls to go to Peace College! smile

Greensboro is home to a branch of UNC. I am going there this weekend to do a shoot. NC has ALL four seasons so you get variety. You are never too far from the beach, or lakes, or mountains. It gets hot in the summer but that and traffic sure beats Atlanta.

Raleigh is a VERY cultural city with symphonies and theatres. You just won't get the NYC traffic!

Hope I have convinced you it is a great place to be!

Ken

Dec 12 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

JvR wrote:
Gotta warn you that I have a friend who moved from NYC to North Carolina (Raleigh) and got so bored there that she then fled for a few years on a UN mission in war-torn and underdeveloped East Timor...

Good luck.

I'm moving to Cyprus in the Meditteranean next year and fear I'll find far fewer models there than you will in North Carolina.

Well, good luck in Cyprus. Watch out for land mines. That war they had a few years ago was brutal!

As for models, you can always take a canoe to Lebanon. I've known quite a few Lebanese girls in the past and they were freaking smoking HOT!

I saw your post before about being able to find camera equipment.. with the power of the internet you always have B&H..

Dec 12 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brandy wrote:
John... you are one silly billy goat. If you move... that means no more shooting with me and we both know how terribly horrible and damaging that could be to you wink~

You know damn well I'd fly your ass to NC.. In fact, one of the first things I did when I found out I am probably gonna be moving there was look and see how much a plane ticket from Vegas was.. It's only like $30 more..

Dec 12 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

John Jebbia wrote:
You know damn well I'd fly your ass to NC.. In fact, one of the first things I did when I found out I am probably gonna be moving there was look and see how much a plane ticket from Vegas was.. It's only like $30 more..

Ooooh, John tell me when she arrives! smile

Ken

Dec 12 05 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

nrvphotography wrote:
Ooooh, John tell me when she arrives! smile

Ken

Will do.. I gotta make sure she earns her keep.

Dec 12 05 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

nrvphotography wrote:
Ok enough! North Carolina is my home state and the girls are prettier NO where else! Raleigh is home to NC State (Go Wolfpack)-even people in Cali have heard of Jim Valvano? Raleigh is part of the Research Triangle Park and Chapel Hill is home to that OTHER college (UNC). There is also Duke University. Raleigh has several private women's college (Meredith for one) and they do not allow ugly girls to go to Peace College! smile

Greensboro is home to a branch of UNC. I am going there this weekend to do a shoot. NC has ALL four seasons so you get variety. You are never too far from the beach, or lakes, or mountains. It gets hot in the summer but that and traffic sure beats Atlanta.

Raleigh is a VERY cultural city with symphonies and theatres. You just won't get the NYC traffic!

Hope I have convinced you it is a great place to be!

Ken

I have been researching places to shoot out there and it seems like NC has it all. I've already found quite a few places I would like to shoot. I get so bored here in Az where we have desert... and... desert.. and more desert!

Dec 12 05 05:17 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Jebbia wrote:

LOL thats like a 6 hour flight... better make it a three day weekend ;0

Dec 12 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brandy wrote:

Gladly!

Dec 12 05 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Brandy wrote:

Ah, but you GAIN a couple of hours on the way home!

Brandy, I wanted to put a comment on your port today but got tired of waiting for MM to refresh! sad

Ken

Dec 12 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Regan Photography

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I always moved away but keep coming back, I'm here to stay. Great place to live and raise a family. Lots of location to shoot. If your looking to make a living as a fashion photographer here you might think twice. Good commercial and editorial work can be found. As far as humidity, you get use to it.

Dec 13 05 10:39 am Link

Photographer

hypolux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bryan Regan Photography wrote:
I always moved away but keep coming back, I'm here to stay. Great place to live and raise a family. Lots of location to shoot. If your looking to make a living as a fashion photographer here you might think twice. Good commercial and editorial work can be found. As far as humidity, you get use to it.

I'll second that post.  Not a place that I would call a cultural mecca - especially insofar as fashion/artistic photography goes, but theres plenty of commercial and editorial work to be found - an added bonus if thats already your bread & butter.  Definetly alot of diversity w. regards to locations to shoot at as well.  Insofar as humidy related problems, I've only had some freak incidents w. a few peices of very old gear, but nothing that planning and attention can't mend.  Just expect the weather to be unpredictable!

Dec 13 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Brandy wrote:

John, are you sure you can't get Brandy to move out here with you?  In North Carolina, she'd be only a few hours away by car and I could shoot with her too!

Georgia is humid also.  Most camera equipment will take the humidity, so it is not a major issue. What is an issue is that 100 degree in Arizona is hot.  Here, that same temperature on a day with 80% relative humidity feels like----oh--about 110 degrees.  LOL It is like a wet oven!

As for shooting outside year round, well it was 19 degrees out a few mornings ago. We have snow occassionally.  But you are good to go for outdoor shoots at least 8 months out of the year.

Welcome to the south.  The people are generally friendly. Atlanta will be within easy reach of you and pretty girls are everywhere.  Of course, Brandy is in a class all by hereself!  Get her to come with you if you can!  :-)

Alan

Dec 13 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

ADG Photography wrote:
John, are you sure you can't get Brandy to move out here with you?  In North Carolina, she'd be only a few hours away by car and I could shoot with her too!

I'm sure I couldn't talk her into that. She doesn't like me THAT much.

Dec 14 05 12:57 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ADG Photography wrote:

Welcome to the south.  The people are generally friendly. Atlanta will be within easy reach of you and pretty girls are everywhere.  Of course, Brandy is in a class all by hereself!  Get her to come with you if you can!  :-)

Alan

LOL the south is too south for me... Georgia and Tennessee were a little too much for me in May.... that humidty is something else!

If John heads out that direction I'm sure I'll be out there at least once or twice... ;-)

Hopefully we do get the opportunity to work together... I'd really like that!

Dec 14 05 01:02 am Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

what part of NC are you looking to move to?

Dec 14 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Greensboro or High Point.. That part is a little up in the air.

Dec 14 05 01:17 am Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

So, John, I propose you start a SIGN UP Sheet to have a photo session with Brandy! I'll sign it! (Even though she said she would shoot with that p'grapher in Georgia and not me-sigh smile [ I mean, CALHOUN?-I used to live in Gwinnett Co.]  ).

Ken

Dec 14 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

John Jebbia wrote:
Well, good luck in Cyprus. Watch out for land mines. That war they had a few years ago was brutal!

As for models, you can always take a canoe to Lebanon. I've known quite a few Lebanese girls in the past and they were freaking smoking HOT!

I saw your post before about being able to find camera equipment.. with the power of the internet you always have B&H..

Yeah, I know about those land mines. My wife is going to work there with the UN peacekeeping mission, so I should know, right?

I'll check on models in the region. I might get lucky with European models visiting Cyprus for vacation.

I've checked shipping rates to Cyprus from B&H and they would kill me. That's why I need to buy everything before I leave and make it part of the move.

Dec 14 05 04:07 pm Link