Forums > General Industry > Arizona Shootout. Who is planning on going?

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

http://www.arizonashoots.com/

I'm curious from others if this is a waste of time or not. I did help assist another photographer for a day out there and it seemed ok, but after seeing some posts on blogs and such I'm not sure now. Any thoughts?

Dec 09 05 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

ADGibson wrote:
http://www.arizonashoots.com/

I'm curious from others if this is a waste of time or not. I did help assist another photographer for a day out there and it seemed ok, but after seeing some posts on blogs and such I'm not sure now. Any thoughts?

It is what you make of it.  Actually I hadn't heard much negative about AZSO.  The primary focus is on shooting.  There is the opportunity to work with literally dozens of models over a weekend.  All of the models are available for one-on-one shoots (for $$).  There are informational workshops each day, but they are optional.  I have seen photographers shoot models from dawn to well after dusk.  Dave Hall is a no-nonsense organizer with a wry sense of humor.  The location is a dusty, old western movie lot--certainly different than my urban surroundings.

I choose to participate as a lecturer because of the scenery, the organization and the atmosphere.  It has been my experience that AZSO has less ego and more comradery than other workshop experiences.  I have witnessed a few different workshop experiences from other organizers that are full of ego and dispute to the point that little quality work gets done. 

Personally, I have been able to capture several successful images while only shooting during the open shooting sessions.  I have had at least 5 successful magazine submissions from my shoots during the AZSO.  At the last AZSO I also offered one-on-one instruction to photographers seeking insight into professional glamour photography.

There are types of workshops out there ranging from academic to gang-bang.  AZSO has established a healthy balance of productive shooting and casual socializing.  Contact me directly if you have additional questions.

Dec 09 05 07:12 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Well, I'm going, but I don't count.  But I do think it is great event.

Dan, on the other hand, well, nothing more needs to be said.  He definitely counts.

Dec 09 05 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Was there in October and plan on attending in April.  As someone else said, it is what you make it.  I haven't heard any negative feedback nor do I have any negative comments myself.  I thought the organizers did a great job and the models worked really hard. 

I met and worked with some great models while I was there and I certainly hope they will return in the spring.  Natalia, Brandy, and Haley (to name a few) worked their #@$ off, both paid and non-paid. 

Subsequent to this shoot I've had contact with a local model (that I didn't get the chance to work with) and we work together privately.

If you find you are involved in a GWC "feeding frenzy", walk away and move on.

Dec 09 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks for the advice. I think I may sign up. Really looking forward to meeting everyone local.

Dec 09 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I am thinking of signing up......what is the cost of this shootout?

Dec 09 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thomas B wrote:
I am thinking of signing up......what is the cost of this shootout?

You need to go to the website and look that up.  The reason is that the price goes up every month.  There is a substantial discount for signing up early.

I hope to see you there.

Dec 09 05 08:43 pm Link