Forums > General Industry > Fashion Photography

Photographer

ALEXANDER GARZA

Houston, Texas, US

Hey guys,

First a quick background than the questions.

I love fashion photography, in fact many of my main photography goals is focused on fashion.  In the past I have worked with models through word of mouth or from meeting them through workshops.  Now I have spotted a few models that I would love to work with but are represented though a major modeling agency.  I have been granted access to many of agencies portfolios and that’s how I found the models I want to work with.  My current portfolio needs major work and I know I have the creativity, talent, and passion to work with anyone.

Now here comes my questions.

I have no clue on what to do from here.  What is the proper thing to do?  What should be my approach?  What are some do’s and don’ts when working with a major agency?

And any other advice y’all have would be great.

Thank you so much for your time.

Alexander Garza
www.onibla.com
http://pleonast.com/galleries/galleries.php?&user=alex

Dec 08 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Pick an agency, walk in with your portfolio and talk to a booker about "testing."   There are always girls that need pictures and if the booker thinks you might make something useful, he'll probably hand you some zeds to pick from.  If he says no, then pick another agency and repeat.

Good luck,
Don

Dec 08 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Little more to it than that, but basically yes.

First, you're going to have to clean up your port and show them that you know what THEY want, even if you get to the point with them that you're shooting your own vision, you at least have to prove to them that you know what you're doing.

Second, when you say major agency are you talking about one in Houston...N.H. is a solid agency, but I wouldn't say major.  If you're talking about driving up to Dallas that's a different story.  You're going to need at least 5-6 images that LOOK like modelwire (assuming thats what you're talking about when you say youv'e been approved) shots before you've got a solid chance.  If you're talking about elsewhere and flying a model to you, it's not going to happen.

Lastly, the talent on sites like modelwire, or the agencies websites usually aren't the ones that need testing.  You have a long way to go in building up relationships with the agencies before you can request their strongest talent.  A very large percentage of their strongest working models are going to be direct books anyway, which you won't have access to.  You need to make a commitment to shooting with the agency models before you start trying to get picky and say WHICH ones you want to work with.  The worst person on their board would significantly help your book at this point, and they know that.  So they're going to send you who they need to send you at first...prove yourself and prove that you're willing to help them out over a period of time and that will change.

If you're thinking about Austin, uhh...well.  Do more homework. smile

You're welcome to shoot me an e-mail if you have further information and want clarification on anything I said.

Andy

Dec 09 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i would first..develope a relationship with a designer..then show the designer the model that you'd like to use to promote his work..then go to agency and ask to let the girls test for a really cool designer...

it worked for me..

now..zab wasn't from an agency..but i have shot the agency girls in the cool clothes..

https://www.swinskey-photographic-art.com/images/zab-main.jpg

Dec 09 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Doesn't work as well in Dallas Doug.  Dallas' fashion market consists primarily of "Off the Rack" department stores who shoot their catalogs here.  Finding designers that have any real shot of becoming big is less common in our market, there are resources for it, but that approach works better in a more fashion production oriented city than in Texas.

Granted, he's in Houston, so I'm not sure what his real focus is.

Andy

Dec 09 05 02:49 pm Link