Forums > General Industry > When you're short AND chubby..

Model

Munira

Jamaica, New York, US

..what exactly are your options?? do you even have any?

I'm asking because I personally am 5'1" and put on quite a bit of weight in the past year, currently the weight fluctuates between 120-130 lbs.

The weight issue can be handled, I was trimming down nicely after only one month of intense working out this summer.. but then school started up again so I stopped going, both of these factors.. plus the fact i'm an ethnic model, from a culture that isn't respresented enough in the mainstream.. have me wondering if i should really try my hand at modeling, being that it takes so much time and devotion ;]

ps - i'm not open to nude modeling or cheesy photography, and quite a few ppl mentioned that i can look into "parts" modeling since my proportions are inadequate.. is there anything else?

Dec 06 05 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I personally see nothing wrong with your height or weight. I think you could do anything you wanted other than stereotypical runway. Although there are more runway styles than the ones that need tall human clothing hangers.

Dec 06 05 06:59 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

I wouldn't worry hunny you have a great look and its exotic to boot. Weight and height isn't an issue as much as it use to be in modeling, well at least in my opinion.

Dec 06 05 07:01 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

My understanding from talking to some of the commercially experienced folks on this board is that there is a height limit even for commercial and print work, and that you're considerably under that.  There's parts, as you said, and of course art, though that rarely pays as well, it can certainly be satisfying.  (I think so, anyway!)

Though with your height I don't think you can make a career out of modeling, you could very well find it a fulfilling hobby that also occasionally gives you some extra spending cash.

Dec 06 05 07:12 pm Link

Model

Munira

Jamaica, New York, US

Shyly wrote:
My understanding from talking to some of the commercially experienced folks on this board is that there is a height limit even for commercial and print work, and that you're considerably under that.  There's parts, as you said, and of course art, though that rarely pays as well, it can certainly be satisfying.  (I think so, anyway!)

Though with your height I don't think you can make a career out of modeling, you could very well find it a fulfilling hobby that also occasionally gives you some extra spending cash.

Yea that's pretty much the impression I got too. I'm not tall enough to even be a petite model, and not heavy-set enough to be a plus size.. woe to me, lolz ;]

Dec 06 05 07:16 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Could be worse?

You could be a petite plus model.

Rotf.

Dec 06 05 08:07 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

You look fine.  Do what you want and don't worry about what other people think!  You can always find people that would want to use you as a model and not the tall, thin blonde type.  There is a lot more diversity than people seem to think, especially if/when you find your niche. 

I really hope you are not insinuating that being 130 lbs is chubby; in some people it may be (even your height) but in others it is not, especially if you have a lot of muscle.  Don't worry about WEIGHT; it is such an arbitrary number anyways.  Anyone who judges you based on your "weight" and not others stats is stupid and doesn't deserve your time.

Dec 06 05 08:14 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Short chubby model checking in!
I seem to be doing okay. It just takes thick skin and determination.

Dec 06 05 08:21 pm Link

Model

ashleyxo

Vista, California, US

wear heels :-p

Dec 06 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Shyly wrote:

I never did understand " too short for print for". Its a picture, sheesh. it isnt "I gotta be a 6 foot tall bag of bones" runway!lol

Dec 06 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

When you're short and chubby.......you're my favorite type of model! smile

Dec 07 05 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Munira wrote:

I'm asking because I personally am 5'1" and put on quite a bit of weight in the past year, currently the weight fluctuates between 120-130 lbs.

The weight issue can be handled, I was trimming down nicely after only one month of intense working out this summer.. but then school started up again so I stopped going, both of these factors.. plus the fact i'm an ethnic model, from a culture that isn't respresented enough in the mainstream.. have me wondering if i should really try my hand at modeling, being that it takes so much time and devotion ;]

ps - i'm not open to nude modeling or cheesy photography, and quite a few ppl mentioned that i can look into "parts" modeling since my proportions are inadequate.. is there anything else?

You are still young enough to work off the weight, if you want to. If I were you I would start going to a gym, and change some eating habits.

One of my best models worked out every morning at 6am, before going to work at 8. She did this five mornings each week, plus she ate healthy food. She is the model on my page that is holding the chain. (Lots of fruit, and no fast food)

My daughter raced bicycles, and taught a dance class, to stay in shape. She now runs about five miles each morning before going to her job.

The big pay off, for working out, is that you can control what you will look like at thirty or forty, if you start now.

Dec 07 05 02:13 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Considering that I am pretty close to you in height and weight... I'd say, do what I do. :p  I don't consider myself "chubby" though.  In need of some toning here and there, sure, but so are most people.

Although if you're just asking for the ego boost, I'm sure you'll get it here.  LOL.

Dec 07 05 02:26 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Munira wrote:
not heavy-set enough to be a plus size

Just FYI-- official agency "Plus Sized" Models are not really heavy set.  They're toned, beautiful women, generally 5'10" - 5'11", who wear a size 14-16.  Not size 4 fashion models, no, but more generously proportioned for their height.

BBW might be what you were thinking of.  That's COMPLETELY different.

Dec 07 05 02:30 am Link

Model

confidential deletion

You should be judged by your images and professionalism not the # on the scale. Have confidence in yourself. You probably don't want to shoot with those photogs that can't see past the waif anyway. Good luck!

Dec 07 05 02:35 am Link

Photographer

CarlMaiorinoPhotography

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I never did understand " too short for print for". Its a picture, sheesh. it isnt "I gotta be a 6 foot tall bag of bones" runway!lol

Maybe YOU don't understand it, but you talk to most commercial print agencies here in New York and you will find even they have a minimum height requirement.  It makes a big difference, especially when shooting with other models who are taller, particluarly male models.  Alot of art directors just don't want models who are 6 inches shorter than the other model(s).

Dec 07 05 02:46 pm Link

Model

Vanessa_St_Arnaud

Vancouver, Washington, US

I'm not sure about all of the height issues and what not. But i do know that you're gorgeous! There must be something you can do within the modeling industry!

Dec 07 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Oh, my golly gosh, I am going to say the unspeakable.  When I read a post that asks what to do if you are short and chubby, nobody seems to have the courage to simply tell the truth.

First, Munira, you are a beautiful young woman.  Beauty has nothing to do with what I am about to say.

Enough of the buttering up.  Now for the hard truth.  Almost anyone can be a net model, very few people will be successful mainstream models.  It is hard enough if you have the height the age and the look.  It gets even more difficult if you are too short, too heavy, too old or have an unmarketable look.

There is no crime in not being perfect.  This is a very competitive business, and the fact that it is difficult is part of the attraction.  If everyone was a super-model then nobody would be famous.

So my answer to you is to do your best to try to find a niche'.  You have a beautiful face, perhaps some types of local cosmetics or parts.  If you have the personality, you are beautiful, look at promotions and trade shows.  Or simply look to the net.  There is work to be found and the majority of the people you find on these forums do most of their modeling from what they can find themselves.

But the bottom line is don't get discouraged and don't look at it as being inadequate.  You seem like a wonderful person.  Make the best of who and what you are, don't dwell on who you aren't.

Good luck to you and have a great holiday.

Dec 07 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

You become a photographer.  Simple. bs

Dec 07 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

bobby sargent wrote:

Well, I am definitely short and chubby.  But can you really call us photographers?

Hi Bobby!

Dec 07 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Josie Nutter wrote:

Just FYI-- official agency "Plus Sized" Models are not really heavy set.  They're toned, beautiful women, generally 5'10" - 5'11", who wear a size 14-16.  Not size 4 fashion models, no, but more generously proportioned for their height.

BBW might be what you were thinking of.  That's COMPLETELY different.

I like to see  someone point out the industry definition of plus sized. I always forget the numbers. The confusion of what some of us consider plus size and what the industry considers plus size is one reason why some of us go into Layne Bryant stores, look at the women in the posters and immediately say" they consider that plus size? I think shes just right".

Dec 07 05 03:51 pm Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

I know plenty of short chubby models.

But from the pics in your port you don't look chubby in the slightest.

Dec 07 05 03:53 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Munira wrote:

You are beautiful just the way you are. If you feel uncomfortable though, then perhaps you should start eating right, working out etc when you a little bit of spare time- BUT do it for YOU and your peace of mind. You sound as though you are not happy with your weight gain. It is important to have a good self image. When you feel like you look good, chances are you DO look good. When you are positive about yourself and your appearance, then look for work in modeling. There are many different aspects to it, and I'm sure you will find your nitch in time.

Dec 07 05 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

The models you see in the commercial ads... most likely agency models... do fit a height standard.  It's not just on the runway.

Munira, one thing you should have clear in your mind is at least roughly what you want from modeling.  Direction, goals, or the like.  By your height alone, the odds aren't in your favor towards commercial modeling, unless perhaps doing parts.  I know a number of women who aren't agency connected but do various types of promotional modeling.  You could also look into talent agencies that may not have height requirements.

I don't know many models that earn a comfortable living from modeling and do nothing else.  Most do it because they enjoy it and can earn some green in the process.  It's good that you're asking questions, though, and being honest with yourself.  There are many people in the industry on both sides of the lens that could stand to do that more often.  I wish you well.

As an aside, I think I have your Catch27 card.  LOL!

Dec 07 05 11:13 pm Link

Model

Mayae

Toledo, Illinois, US

there are some exceptions in commercial modeling. One of my friends has booked a couple commercial adds, and she is only 5'2. There are many agencies that have requirements for commercial/print.However there are some that do not. I also think you would be great for promotional modeling.There are generally no height requirements, and you can earn extra cash.

Dec 07 05 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Well, I am definitely short and chubby.  But can you really call us photographers?

Hi Bobby!

Well Alan I have been called a lot worse things than a photographer.  And some of these people meant every word they said.  bs

Dec 08 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Munira wrote:

People are confused.  Height is important for runway, not print, you can't tell how tall someone is in print unless they are standing next to someone taller/shorter than they are.  I've shot several portfolios for working models that were 5'2" or 5' 3".  I shoot the in store posters for a women's clothing store based in Ohio, our current and most popular model is 5' 4".

Dec 08 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:
People are confused.  Height is important for runway, not print, you can't tell how tall someone is in print unless they are standing next to someone taller/shorter than they are.  I've shot several portfolios for working models that were 5'2" or 5' 3".  I shoot the in store posters for a women's clothing store based in Ohio, our current and most popular model is 5' 4".

No we're not confused.  Agencies and clients are looking for models that they CAN stand next to each other or next to objects without being dwarfed.  Yes, there are some commercial models that make a go of it when shorter, particularly in unsatrurated markets.  But the maroity of print models are a still taller than average.

Dec 08 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

theda wrote:
No we're not confused.  Agencies and clients are looking for models that they CAN stand next to each other or next to objects without being dwarfed.  Yes, there are some commercial models that make a go of it when shorter, particularly in unsatrurated markets.  But the maroity of print models are a still taller than average.

Bingo!

Dec 08 05 03:03 pm Link

Model

Munira

Jamaica, New York, US

Thank you all so much for your insight, I see there's quite a range of answers.. All is appreciated, but those who happen to be NYC residents like myself tended to state more of the realistic.. or perhaps realistic in terms of OUR reality: which is that we live in this city that is basically like the capital of just about everything.. and there’s constant competition because selectivity here is so brutal, even for the smallest print/commercial jobs.. People move here from all over the world to try to achieve their dreams and sometimes manage to make a name for themselves in the process.. There are like a million "models" and wannabe models living here.. so many who are just simply gorgeous and have great attitude and work ethic and professionalism and poise, basically everything that’s required to really make it.. yet I often see that even some of them are having a very hard time getting work.. Many never get established no matter how long they've been at it, and eventually may give up.. So me personally being around so much of that, you can understand why I feel the need to voice (type) my concerns so openly..

Please don’t assume I point out my "flaws" for an ego boost, which I see has been hinted at.. I feel that only insecure people resort to that nonsense, which makes it beneath me.. I’m truly content with my facial features and am thankful for having always had a naturally photogenic quality.. mainly this forum topic was created in order to conjure up gems of wisdom from anyone willing to offer, because the main criticism given to me so far on this website has been things along the lines of "you shouldn’t wear your heart on your sleeve".. or "your profile message make you seem very insecure".. and of course "if you want to make it in the industry you really have to sell yourself, so exposing your flaws isn't the right move"..
These are all very good points and I appreciate that people are taking the time and thoughtfulness to make me aware of improvements that they feel I should make. The thing is though, I'm not actively trying to "market" myself to agencies and/or photographers.. at least not as of yet.

Right now I'm NOT a model and certainly not ready to just blindly throw all of my heart and soul into that world, which is still generally unknown to me. Despite that, I will consider offers to do shoots with certain photographers, and believe me I'll be selective in the process, not because I think I’m too high and mighty to work with amateur photographers or those with subpar portfolios.. but because I need to be guided and acquainted with those who have enough expertise in this field to know how to deal with someone like myself:: who does have concerns about her body being deemed suitable by the industry. who does wear her heart on her sleeve and doesn't think its necessary to conceal that just because it makes me come off a certain way. who does have a strong mind and strong confidence but doesn’t want to strongly pursue something that isn’t going to amount to much.

Anyways, thank you once again to everyone who has posted in here or has messaged me directly. I'm genuinely grateful for all the compliments as well as the constructive criticism. Sorry that quite a few pictures in my profile’s portfolio are misleading due to being outdated, and therefore not an accurate representation of my current body shape.. For that reason I made sure to enter the year of each image into the copyright caption when I uploaded them. I suggest clicking on each image to enlarge it, the year will appear in the full caption... or i can just tell you, the few recent images are my main picture, the two pictures of me in the Tibetan restaurant (caption will say), and the other two where I have on a very pale pink top that’s clinging to my upper body and torso..

I’m one of the few Americans left who still doesn’t own a digital camera, but if I did, I’d be taking a hundred self-portraits every other day (which I see has become such a popular pastime).. but oh well I don’t own one, so that essentially is why all the pictures I have uploaded on here are actually all the solo pictures I have of myself, period.. aside from baby/childhood photos.. sad but true ;[

PS - Over the years, I've acquired this wonderful gift of bullshit detecting, so blowing smoke up my ass isn't going to fly well at all. I promise ;]

Dec 08 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I like her. She's realistic.

Dec 08 05 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

CarlMaiorinoPhotography

New York, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:

No we're not...most commercial print agencies here in New York wouldn't touch a model who was 5'2" or 5'3", that is just a reality.  Don't believe me, check with any major agency here in the city, most will tell you even for commercial print work they want the models to be at least 5'6" or taller.

Dec 08 05 05:03 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Munira wrote:

first off all you need to find your confidence cause I think it just walked out the door. Know your insecurities but dont let others know or they will use that against you......

Dec 08 05 07:48 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I like to see  someone point out the industry definition of plus sized. I always forget the numbers. The confusion of what some of us consider plus size and what the industry considers plus size is one reason why some of us go into Layne Bryant stores, look at the women in the posters and immediately say" they consider that plus size? I think shes just right".

http://www.plusmodels.com

They'll explain it better than I ever can.

Dec 08 05 08:59 pm Link

Model

Munira

Jamaica, New York, US

angelavasquez wrote:

first off all you need to find your confidence cause I think it just walked out the door. Know your insecurities but dont let others know or they will use that against you......

lolz, someone completely missed my second post entirely.. its pretty hard to see how ;]

Dec 09 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

bobby sargent wrote:

That's what I did....

Dec 10 05 12:03 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Munira wrote:
Please don’t assume I point out my "flaws" for an ego boost, which I see has been hinted at.. I feel that only insecure people resort to that nonsense, which makes it beneath me.. I’m truly content with my facial features and am thankful for having always had a naturally photogenic quality..

You'll have to forgive those of us who say it (outright) because 99.9% of all threads in these forums that revolve around perceived flaws are all about compliment baiting. 

And to completely honest, I found your subject line to be a tiny bit insulting... there are better ways of saying "Hey, what do you think I'm honestly qualified for?" than implying that the rest of us around that height and that weight must also be "short and chubby".  Call me picky. (:

In any case, welcome to Model Mayhem and I hope you find this community to be helpful.

Dec 11 05 09:47 pm Link

Model

Acacia Rose

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

I think your weight is pretty spot on for your height.

You are beautiful and have a very unique look, that will set you apart from others! smile

Acacia xx

Dec 11 05 10:55 pm Link

Model

Pa Model - Laura Mae

Brickerville, Pennsylvania, US

I'm 5'2 and in the ballpark of your weight. You are not chubby. What I do with having to work out, go to school full-time, and working two part-time jobs is to work out EARLY in the morning. I'm up by 6:45, 5 days a week for my hour runs. I get in about 30-40 miles a week, and never have to feel guilty about eating pizza. Even though running hasn't changed my weight too much, I'm have become stronger, more defined, and actaully like my body on most days.

Best of luck to you dear! smile

Dec 12 05 08:22 am Link