Forums > General Industry > Models - props vs. collaborators

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

This whole thread was a mistake.  Ignore it.

Dec 05 05 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Gary Davis wrote:
The models job is to be a prop that the photographer uses to create the image.

I couldn't disagree more.  In what I do the model's input is vital.  They bring the vital spark that gives life to my ideas.  Without them, my images would just be daydreams.

Dec 05 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.  In what I do the model's input is vital.  They bring the vital spark that gives life to my ideas.  Without them, my images would just be daydreams.

You didn't continue reading the following paragraphs did you hmm

Dec 05 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Gary, I agree to some extent, but sorry, I have a problem with the terminology.

The model is not a prop, she is the subject of the image.  The photographer is the story teller.  It is his job to make the statement.

One of the responsibilities of the story teller is to find the right subject for the statement he wishes to make.  Whistler's Mother is an important piece because of the statement made by the subject.

So, (with the exception of a model's right to make image requests when she does a TFP so she gets what she wants as well), I agree with you, it is the photographer that makes the statement.

Let's just not diminimize the role of the model.  She is an important element as well, and lacking the right model with the right look and ability to convey, an otherwise good image might fail.

To some degree, it is the same role an actor takes when he/she plays the part.  The writer has developed the script and it is the job of the director to tell the story.  The actor must portray the character as envisioned by the writer and the director.

A model must be the subject as envisioned by the art director or photographer.  That doesn't mean she has to sit silently and not offer input.  It does mean that the ultimate statement is conveyed by the photographer (perhaps through the eyes of the art director).  In the end though, the model is an important element because without him/her, there would be no statement.

Dec 05 05 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Gary, I agree to some extent, but sorry, I have a problem with the terminology.

The model is not a prop, she is the subject of the image....

Ah yes, I agree, prop was a poor choice of words.  I was actually just sitting here thinking about what I wrote and decided that a lot of the terminology could have been better.  Probably rushed more than I should have but just don't have the patience to think it through.  Maybe it would have been better if I just kept my mouth shut (so to speak).

Now that I think about it, much of what you're saying might be what Melvin was getting at.  That is exactly what I was thinking in my head but just didn't get it across well.

Meh, more thinking:  What if the model isn't the subject of the photo, but an element additional to a seperate subject?  Oh, never mind, that's too far off the topic.

Dec 05 05 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I totally agree with you 120%.

Your point is perfect and on track.

And on rare occasions, I'll even let the model talk during the shoot…... hey, I said Rare wink

Dec 05 05 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

Its funny because as always I can see both Melvins point and the original point at hand.

In what I do, the model's understanding is needed.  I've already spent roughly 6 months on the conceptualizing of this piece.  Every detail is accounted for.  Including hand picking the model, not only because of their look but also their personality.  I know walking into a shoot EXACTLY what needs to happen, the story is set.  All I need is for the model to come in, listen to the concept (and sometimes backstory) and do what he or she does.

Dec 05 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Gary, without adding any additional comment I will only refer back to the other thread you mentioned - so those who may not have seen the reference can do that

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?t … 635&page=2

About half way down the page

Studio36

Dec 05 05 04:18 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

What Alan said.  Somewhere between "prop" and "collaborator" falls "employee" or "colleague."

Dec 05 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

theda wrote:
What Alan said.  Somewhere between "prop" and "collaborator" falls "employee" or "colleague."

Damn...I can see that too.  Everyone always talks about professionalism, this puts things in perspective.

Dec 05 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Well said, Garry

Dec 05 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

theda wrote:

And in the world of photography - one might refer to a model as the "subject" - still NOT quite an "employee" or "colleague" but also far, far short of "collaborator"

You probably KNOW, from other posts, my position on the use of certain terms even in casual conversation but especially where something that is said could be construed as an oral agreement.

In my universe, and working under UK copyright law, - "creative team"; "collaborator"; "creative input"; and several other terms are never mentioned. There is a hazard in creating by a slip of the tongue a DEFAULT situation where there could arise a quite possible and serious challenge to copyright ownership. There is also a hazard here [in the UK] of saying nothing at all but letting the illusion of a "collaboraton" exist, even unsaid.

I expect, from several US copyright cases I have read where similar arguments were advanced, that something like that could also be argued in US law... IF there is any inference [oral or in writing] at the onset, or during the creation of it, that a work was jointly created by the claimed author and a "collaborator" - though something more is needed in the US context than mere silence.

The issue is very well known in the music and writing industries, both in the US and UK.... but just as widely it seems to be unknown in the photographic industry.

As long as the model doesn't have, and isn't given, any illusions about "creative input"; about being a "collaborator"; or part of a  "creative team" I don't care what they are called. "Warm prop" is, however, a term known in the film and TV industry and that has some meaning to those inside it.

Studio36

Dec 05 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

"Warm prop" makes sense for someone in the background etc. (even if it does sound a little calous smile) but seems extreme for a model who's the subject of a photo.

Are you saying that using the term "collaborator" has a legal interpretation that can imply sharing copyright?  I wasn't aware of that, I may have to be more carefull.

Dec 05 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Gary Davis wrote:
Are you saying that using the term "collaborator" has a legal interpretation that can imply sharing copyright?  I wasn't aware of that, I may have to be more carefull.

It does in the UK by default. IF two or more persons contribute to the creation of a work; and on completion the individual contributions can not be separated; then a joint authorship exists BY DEFAULT. Note, especially, the use of the word "collaboration" in the actual text of the [UK] law under the section title "Authorship and ownership of copyright"

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Uk … .htm#mdiv9

Works of joint authorship. 10.—(1) In this Part a "work of joint authorship" means a work produced by the collaboration of two or more authors in which the contribution of each author is not distinct from that of the other author or authors.

My release contains this wording EXACTLY because of that:

"...The photographer reserves, in every instance, the right to be identified as the sole maker of the work, and I, the undersigned, further agree that the photographs mentioned herein, by mutual agreement, are not the result of a collaborative work...."

A very similar situation can arise in US law if there is an expression of intent to create a work of joint authorship. That expression need NOT be in writing. But, unlike the UK, there needs to be something more than silence.

I would argue that by writing, say an e-mail or a letter, to a model inviting them to a shoot and using wording such as "collaborate" COULD work such a deed if some intent to create a joint work could be drawn from the wording and the actions that follow. That e-mail or letter could very well sink the photographer in a fight over copyright, and indeed profits, in the rare and remote event that the image had some significant future value - OR - if, for example, the model wanted to prevent or limit it's use... especially commercially.

Studio36

Dec 05 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Aside from providing chum for the legal sharks, just between all of us photographers and models et al, here on MM, a good photoshoot involves a good model.

But I have found that a great photoshoot involves a great model.  Whether or not stated, it is communication and calloboration of ideas that bring about the best images.  And her look is very important to it all.

But let me put this in context.  If you are shooting for a client, especially with an art director, then usually the idea is fairly nailed down already and ad libbing is actually frowned upon.  If an idea is that nailed down so that further brain work is not needed then model is prop, photographer is button pusher.

But if it is what most of us here really enjoy shooting, which are images that have our personal style on them then, again I state that it is my experience, that the best models are much more than props, they are very bright beings who understand the concept, flow and energy required to make a personal statement. 

Sure, often the photographer has to say, "okay, for this set I specifically want this or that" and some models do simply want and expect full direction.  Other times, in the same session, other ideas get explored.  Some are keepers, some are not.

Often in such a shoot, of the keepers ONLY, I send her the ones she likes best and I keep and display the ones I like best.  Most of the time, they are the same images because the image was created on both sides of the lens and it shows in the result.

Dec 05 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:
A very similar situation can arise in US law if there is an expression of intent to create a work of joint authorship. That expression need NOT be in writing. But, unlike the UK, there needs to be something more than silence.

I understand your point and I suppose there is a remote chance of that occurring, but I did a Westlaw search and found no cases supporting such a position.  That doesn't mean a bright attorney couldn't make such an argument.

I think the language of U.S. copyright law is more intended for business partnerships that are in the creative industry.  I think the risk would be greater if, for example, a photographer and a model entered into a partnership to create a website and have joint ownership of it.  It might be possible to argue that the copyright innures to the partnership rather than the photographer since the photographer was shooting on behalf of the partnership.

In any event, all of these issues should be resolved by a well written release signed by the model and a proper license (if any) executed by the photographer.

Any vagueness from the use of the word "collaboration" would be eliminated by proper paperwork.

Dec 05 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Dreams To Keep wrote:
If an idea is that nailed down so that further brain work is not needed then model is prop, photographer is button pusher.

I don't think I agree with this, it sounds too extreme.  No matter how much an idea is nailed down, it still takes more than a model "prop" and a button pusher to execute it.    The art director isn't going to be bothered with things like the technical details of how to setup lighting, exposure, etc. of a scene to create the desired effect and they can't manually fix every muscle in a models body.  These ideas still have to be communicated to, interpreted and executed by the model and photographer to make them into a real image (I was going to say reality but that didn't sound quite right).

If the job is nailed down to the point of prop and button pusher, then the model and photographer have already performed a large part of their jobs and this point only lasts for the brief moment it takes to actually release the shutter.

Dec 05 05 07:24 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

an
already said what I wanted to say.

Also, 'warm prop' is specifically used as to describe background extras in a movie scene. Refers not only to people but to any live movemen from the insertion of citizens in a downtown city street, cars and other motor vehicles in a highway or street, animals in a park
yard, forest. Non of which are the main focus. Most times are out of focus. Their job is to portray life. As to make the scene authentic for the subjects and as seen by the viewers.

Its the difference in a play and a motion picture. Although, some plays use warm props/background actors, it's never to a noticable extent of awareness.

So, 'warm prop' is never a reference to any subject of any piece/project.

Also, if you allow anyone to have the term collaborator in your project. Verbal, written or implied, you've just given away half your rights. So, there is always a need for a lead if you wish to retain control of your project. And, that is also whywritteagreements are so important, ESPECIALLY a non-compete agreement.

Stealing ideas after secrets/details are revealed is a common phenomenon.

:-)

Dec 05 05 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Angelus wrote:
yikes Gary, I honestly cannot express anything toward your opinion. Why? Because, is obvious where this resides. Your SOLE opinion.

Word to the subject.
If you sum up what a model is to simply being a prop. Then, you as a photographer are nothing more than a point-and-shoot instrument.
THAT IS TO SUM IT UP TO THE EXACT SAME DEGREE AS WHAT YOU'VE JUST DONE.

You've obviously missunderstood what I wrote.  I admit I didn't communicate my ideas as well as I could have, but the fact you keep harping on the "prop" thing demonstrates that you simply didn't read the thread carefully because I've already stated that that was a poor choice of words, edited the original post to indicate such, and in the ensuing discussion stated that I don't think of the model that way and agreed with the others expressing the view that the model does contribute more than being just a prop.

Dec 05 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

studio36uk wrote:

I understand your point and I suppose there is a remote chance of that occurring, but I did a Westlaw search and found no cases supporting such a position.  That doesn't mean a bright attorney couldn't make such an argument.

At least one bright spark of a lawyer has done it...

Have a read of these two pages - then tell me you shouldn't plan for the worst:

http://www.publaw.com/joint.html
Prepared by:
Publishing Law Center
Denver, CO 80206

Copyright Ownership: The Joint Authorship Doctrine
© Copyright 1995 Lloyd L. Rich

----------

BUT here is a more definitive US case involving PHOTOGRAPHS specifically and UNINTENTIONAL joint authorship

http://www.legallanguage.com/lawarticle … da012.html

[article]
Joint Authorship for Photographs - A Step Backward
by Robert W. Clarida, December 2000

the case is
Brod v. General Publishing Group, Inc., No. CV 98-9520 (DUP)

Studio36

P.S. There are other cases like Brod that involve writing, and other creative endeavours, ect, but not photography specifically in so direct a way as Brod. I used to have some saved but can't find them at the moment.

Dec 05 05 08:28 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Gary Davis wrote:
You've obviously missunderstood what I wrote.  I admit I didn't communicate my ideas as well as I could have, but the fact you keep harping on the "prop" thing demonstrates that you simply didn't read the thread carefully because I've already stated that that was a poor choice of words, edited the original post to indicate such, and in the ensuing discussion stated that I don't think of the model that way and agreed with the others expressing the view that the model does contribute more than being just a prop.

Not that I misunderstood. I highly disageed with the term. I wasn't dispute of some of the things you were saying, I was playing Devil's Advocate and showing what one term in an ntire argument provokes. I understand you don't view them as that. Which is why I wentvback and changed it. But, my point wasn't to really get defensive. It more to show an example of an extreme that could be taken by someone from one word which would force them to disallow ahything you said after that. A person can take the term in a very horrible way. After all, it IS a deogatory/belittling term.
So, I really just wanted to point that out.

But, because I didn't read your follow-up post...My apolgies.
Apologies, for the bluntness of certain phrases as well just in caes they were too strong. I can be a little too vocal at times.

Dec 05 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Gary Davis wrote:
Alright, I'm going to try and put this the best I can.  I'm afraid this is likely going to bruise some egos and be missunderstood to some extent but I think it's an interesting topic and I think many serious photographers agree and many models don't understand what I'm about to say, and I'd like to here others opinions.  I hope we can keep this civil, I don't mean this as another "us against them" thread. smile

I'm just going to do the best I can and hope that people understand I'm not trying to put down or degrade anyone.  Enough of the wordy build up tongue

Sort of a tangent from another thread about models editing images.

The photographer is the image creator.  The models job is to be a prop that the photographer uses to create the image. [edit: as mentioned below, this was a poor choice of words.  Would "instrument through which the photographer creates the image" be better?]  Not saying that the models job isn't important, but that is it's purpose, nothing more.  If you have a problem with this, you shouldn't be a model.  Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes I think that's the clearest way to get the idea across.

Now, that doesn't mean the model can't make additional contributions, but then they are expanding their job and taking on other roles to some degree, perhaps art direction, styling, makeup, editing, etc.  There is certainly nothing wrong with this, but I think it's the exception and not the rule.  If a model wants to become more involved this way as a condition to working with a particular photographer, it should be discussed and agreed upon up front.

Personally, I'm very open to collaboration if I like the idea.  I have allowed models to use images they edited themselves when they asked first and indicated it in the credits.  I like the energy that comes from a model that is as excited about an idea as I am so I like to work with them to find out what they like.  But in the end, unless I've been commissioned to create someone elses vision, I have the final say on the image to be created.

Obviously in the case of TFP, there has to be at least a small amount of collaboration between model and photographer as both should get images they can use.   But for the most part, a model should select photographers to work with who's images are what she needs and trust the photographer.  If the model expects more out of that, ask and make it clear up front what you want.

My moto is: "just ask!"  I'm open to most ideas if presented up front, but go behind my back and I get pretty mad.

Gary to be honest you made enough qualifications to your statements that I'm not entirely convinced you are convinced of what you say.  In my artistic work, the collaboration and inputs of ideas is vital for me to do good work.  Doesn't mean that I don't have good ideas etc, but I would rather quantify the resultant work by saying it is a "we" process not an "I" ptocess.

That's not the case in all that I do but it is when I am working with somebody in a collaborative sense.  Using the term "prop" to identify a model is not something I am comfortable with... that really puts your ego out in front of everything and I just don't think that's a good idea in most situations... but if it works for you and the models...

Dec 05 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Well, as hard as I tried to diffuse it, I knew things would be missinterpreted, but I really regret using the term "prop" to try and get my point across.  As others have pointed out, and as I've agreed with, it was really a poor choice of words and I think it has really distracted from the point I was trying to make.

To anyone who may have been offended or taken issue with the use of the term prop, please understand it was simply a poor choice of words and does not at all convey my view of what a model should be.  The last thing I want is a still lifeless object as the subject of my modelling photos.

Sigh, don't know what more I can do at this point to try and correct it.

Dec 05 05 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

studio36uk wrote:
----------

BUT here is a more definitive US case involving PHOTOGRAPHS specifically and UNINTENTIONAL joint authorship

[article]
Joint Authorship for Photographs - A Step Backward
by Robert W. Clarida, December 2000

the case is
Brod v. General Publishing Group, Inc., No. CV 98-9520 (DUP)

Studio36

P.S. There are other cases like Brod that involve writing, and other creative endeavours, ect, but not photography specifically in so direct a way as Brod. I used to have some saved but can't find them at the moment.

The appellate decision is posted here:

http://www.entlawdigest.com/story.cfm?storyID=2697

Sorry, I'm broke right now ($20 an article--$495 a year--ouch!), but if anyone's got a membership and would like to at least copy and paste some excerpts, I'd be really interested in reading the outcome.  8}

It sounds to me like this was a case of 'I'll tell you what to shoot, you just push the button,' though.  In this instance the subject was an inanimate object.  I would think a model trying to use this as a basis for a claim would have a serious uphill battle.  Namely because it would be really difficult for the model to dictate the perspective on the other side of the lense.  I would think an art director would be able to go farther with this than a model.  Just my $ .10.

tim

Dec 05 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

Ok, someone help me out here, the opinion should be on this page (according to the other page):

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopin … =4.10#4.10

but I can't find it, am I blind?

Dec 05 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:

You need to read the cases very carefully.  Here is the definition applied:

"The elements of joint authorship in the Ninth Circuit, as in the Second Circuit, are that each joint author must make a copyrightable contribution to the joint work, and that each must intend his or her contribution to be merged into a "unitary whole."

That situation doesn't come with a model because a model doesn't contribute something that is separately copyrightable.

I understand your concern, but I am unconvinced that simply referring to the participation of the model under U.S. copyright law would create a shared copyright.  the other article seems off target to me as well.

But they are both good things to be cognizant about because, as I said, lawyers always come up with new theories.

Dec 05 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

The quote below was posted in a thread several weeks ago.  For some reason it struck me enough to hang on to it.

When a model believes that making good photos is her or his job, (as opposed to just looking good in photos) the photos will usually be better.  A good model is part of the creative team.  . A poor one is a prop. - Brian Diaz

Dec 05 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

That situation doesn't come with a model because a model doesn't contribute something that is separately copyrightable.

One would think this to be the case, but (and maybe I'm misunderstanding this, I'd really like to read the appellate decision) it didn't seem that the court took the book (which would seem the rational 'separate work' in my mind, not that it should have an impact on the copyright of the photographs) into consideration when making the determination as to whether or Collins made a copyrightable contribution.  It appears as though they focused primarily on how much input he provided in creating the images, and whether he or the photog made the major decisions in the process.

Dec 05 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
The quote below was posted in a thread several weeks ago.  For some reason it struck me enough to hang on to it.

Interesting, although to me that's the difference in brands of paint, not whether or not the paint distributor should share in copyright.

Dec 05 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Reign Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Provacative....

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, or it might have already been discussed and I just missed it. But this issue of collabing to me only seems to be a problem if it tfp/cd...

Because if you are paying your model any contributions he/she makes, wouldn't  that be considered "work for hire"??? And in copyright law (like I said, correct me if I'm wrong) "work for hire" copyright falls to the employer.

Dec 05 05 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Reign Studios wrote:
Provacative....

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, or it might have already been discussed and I just missed it. But this issue of collabing to me only seems to be a problem if it tfp/cd...

Because if you are paying your model any contributions he/she makes, wouldn't  that be considered "work for hire"??? And in copyright law (like I said, correct me if I'm wrong) "work for hire" copyright falls to the employer.

Not exactly.

Mostly "work for hire" is only enforceable on full time employees.  Freelancers and people who are hired for a limited time are not usually included in this classification.

In either case a model is not subject to obtaining copyright in the US definition of copyright unless the photographer gives it to them.

Dec 05 05 11:50 pm Link

Model

christina_show

Henderson, Nevada, US

Tim Downin wrote:
One would think this to be the case, but (and maybe I'm misunderstanding this, I'd really like to read the appellate decision) it didn't seem that the court took the book (which would seem the rational 'separate work' in my mind, not that it should have an impact on the copyright of the photographs) into consideration when making the determination as to whether or Collins made a copyrightable contribution.  It appears as though they focused primarily on how much input he provided in creating the images, and whether he or the photog made the major decisions in the process.

There are too important things to understand.  First, this is a lower court decision and therefore is not precedent.  You are right, it will be nice to find out what the nineth ultimately decides.

But second, this is an application of the principle of co-authorship.  This case is about two people who had been publishing books together.  Now I agree that the decision of the Court is bizarre, and perhaps scary.  But there is a great deal more involvement between the two parties in this case than a photographer simply using the word "collaborate" with a model.  We are jumping from the participation as a subject (who might make some suggestions) to a pair of individuals who had created works before and had been collaborating on a future work.

Whether or not we agree or disagree with the decision of the court, it did apply the rule as it saw it and found something far more compelling than just a casual connection.

It is important to remember that the law is never simple and judges often weigh varieties of conflicting and confusing statutes and decisions before rendering a judgement.  I just don't want us to get to the point where we are afraid of working with models because we think they suddenly own our work.

There has not been any case, even remotely on point, where the simple use of the word "collaborate" in a discussion has caused a photographer to subjugate a part of his copyright ownership.

That is my point.

Dec 06 05 07:48 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

christina_show wrote:
There has not been any case, even remotely on point, where the simple use of the word "collaborate" in a discussion has caused a photographer to subjugate a part of his copyright ownership.

That is my point.

Perhaps not in photography specifically but there is law and there are cases, and case law, in other creative fields - in particular in music and writing, but also in movie making.

In movies, for example, copyright law quiets the [copyright] title to such works by awarding the copyright to the producer and or director by statute - regardless of any creative contribution by anyone else participating in a movie's creation.

In large orchestras, though the musicians may not be factual employees of a single entity, performances are done under forms of work-for-hire agreements. Performance and recording rights are vested by statute - usually, AIUI, in the producer.

Unfortunately copyright law, in US practice, does no such thing for other creative endeavours... which always leaves open certain questions. One common thread is that of "intent" and to state that something is created out of a "collaboration" strongly implies a level, SOME level, of intent. Strike one! Then, for the other party, if they are able to successfully assert both a contribution and one of independent copyrightability - that will be strike 2 and 3. For the photographer, as in baseball, 3 strikes and you're out.

As another poster noted above - just because it hasn't happened - doesn't mean it can't happen. One of the ways to keep it from happening... and the real essence of this thread... is to eliminate any appearance, or even any hint, of "intent" to create a  work of joint authorship. To that end NOT referring to a model [or anyone else involved] as a "collaborator" is a step that can only be in the right direction. Think preventative medicine.

Studio36

Dec 06 05 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Considering what I do, you might think I really agree with the thought that the model is a "prop" but just the opposite is true.  In my damsel-in-distress shoots, the last thing I want is a pretty lady sitting there doing nothing.  What I want is for the model to breathe life into the damsel-in-distress character we are both creating.  I give the character a scene, she gives the character emotions, reactions, etc.

As for props, well, I have those too (such as my Pit-and-the-Pendulum set up in my avatar...) and those should be unfeeling, uncaring, unaware of the "danger" they are creating... it makes for some really great photos (fun ones too, when we have outtakes, which I get a *lot* of...)

Yes, I do pay the models, so I expect them to take direction, but I don't want them to all react the same way...variety is the spice of life...

Dec 06 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Thanks for the URL's to case histories.  Also

In movies, for example, copyright law quiets the [copyright] title to such works by awarding the copyright to the producer and or director by statute - regardless of any creative contribution by anyone else participating in a movie's creation.

I treat models as creative human resources, profile for commercial or other concepts, and am set up to pass through a percentage of net profit; however, in that I decide what's going to happen in front of the camera, where it's going to happen, and how it's going to look, I am author/director (could do a lot better at both too, but that's another subject) and while I don't share rights, I do license work to models to use for self promotion and without reservation in that regard.

Dec 06 05 12:39 pm Link

Model

Maggie Shirk

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Wow,
This is really a much more interesting thread than I originally anticipated.  I think I have a slightly different take on all of this.  Let me explain.
1.  As a commercial model I am OFTEN put in situations where the EXACT image is already determined and my job is to make that image look exactly like the client sees it in his/her head.  That being said it is a combined effort of me, the photographer, and the client creating the "perfect" image.... said only because if I dont have a perfect understanding of what is needed neither the client or the photographer will get what they need or be happy.   The photographer too must have this understanding in order to frame and light the image, as well as capture it at the appropriate time.   In this case... I am EMPLOYED for my talent in giving what is desired and having an understanding of what that is, and the photographer is as well.  It is NOT my business to comment or interject just to please, and change to accomodate.  Come on, this is how we make our money folks.

2.  In other commercial settings the situation is not as specific and I am expected to provide expressions and feelings to emulate and project a certain idea or concept or scenario to perfection.  The photographer has a job to create that expression of feeling for the concept or scenario in his images.  We are both still employed for our talents and are both critical to the outcome for that reason.  It is not my business as a model to question what is asked of me, or to interject personal feelings on the photos.

3.  Fashion models:  Are often hired for the look they have.  JUST TO BE THEMSELF.  Because they are who they are.  They are the subject and the punctuation mark of the image.. and the photographer is there to perfect that an portray it the way that best shows the model  FOR the client.  This is usually ALL about the model, they are the commodity.

4.  Glamour:  Also hiring a model for the look they have, but more generic, and the goal is very different.  In this case it is often the photog. or model, whichever the case may be, trying to create a fantasy.  One of them has the idea and it is the others job to create that.  Sometimes this involves the model being a "prop" or "subject", and other times a collaborator.

ALL of the above are cases where pay is involved to the model, to the photographer by a client or to the photographer for copyrighted images by the model.

WHEN:
1. A model books a photog for portfolio work.  It is the photographers JOB to make the model look exactly the way she/he is trying to market herself.  This is often a collaborative effort, because it is the model who is trying to accomplish a feeling or a look.  It is the job of the photog and his team to make him/her look good.  She/he is the sole object and purpose of the shoot.

2.  A photog. books a model for personal work, be it art, glamour, a job,portfolio, etc... with the goal of the photog. being the sole intent... no other party involved.. then it is the model job to listen and provide and do exactly what is expected of him/her.  NOT collaborate, unless it is asked of him/her.  The purpose of this shoot is for the photog only... very similar to #1 above, but without the third party.  There should be no complaints from the model.

Sorry that is so long, but that is the take of a working model.

Dec 06 05 10:27 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

C R Photography wrote:
I totally agree with you 120%.

Your point is perfect and on track.

And on rare occasions, I'll even let the model talk during the shoot…... hey, I said Rare wink

I tried to talk during a shoot once, the photographer slapped me.  I swore I'd never do it again.  I can't speak in compleate sentences anyway...  Unedjumacated, don't you know!

Dec 06 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

My opinion is more like Moten's. The final image is a confluence of the model's look and skill in posing, the photographers skill at lighting and capturing that light, and the MUA if any, etc. I know our laws are not geared for this, but in a perfect world the image would be shared. Any use would give everyone credit (that wants it) and all would benefit. But in our culture, we dont think that way. And I dont know what the ANSWER is.

Henry

Dec 06 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

...Stacy wrote:
I tried to talk during a shoot once, the photographer slapped me.  I swore I'd never do it again.  I can't speak in compleate sentences anyway...  Unedjumacated, don't you know!

Literally struck you?! You should have beat the snot out of him! Or at least left the shoot and charged him with assult.

The only excetion to this is a scene (still or movie) where this is part of the scene and everyone is ready for it.

Dec 06 05 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Gary, I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried!  What you wrote is a selfish bunch of babble! If I felt that way towards models, I would just photograph still life, landscape, and food or product shots.  Models add emotion to our images.  We work as a team.  We are constantly communicating together during the photo shoot.  If that is not happening for you, then you're getting nothing but candid images. 

One of the things I find so challenging about photographing people is that they are unpredictable.  The same goes for nature or wildlife photography.  You can really "pose" a lion can you?  You can't make a model do something they are uncomfortable with or it wilh show.  We are human beings, and models are indispensable to our photos. Models CAN and DO take their own photos too!  One could argue that it is "the photographer" who is more dispensable, but in reality, both model and photographer are rather equal in importance.

Because I'm too overwhelmed with the work load to handle it all by myself, I always encourage collaboration in my photography.  That means I network with other photographers, models, webmasters, musicians, writers, and business people in general.  No ego here, it's all about working "with" others, and creating great images together!

Dec 07 05 12:01 am Link