Forums > General Industry > Being nude for a fitting?

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

That's wrong and unneccessary right? I always reject offers from designers who say I need to be nude so they could take my measurements, but is this some norm that i'm just not aware of?

Dec 02 05 05:40 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

i could understand them needing you in underwear or a bathing suit, but naked?  seems strange to me.

but, then again, i've never done it so your guess is as good as mine.  just a comment.

Dec 02 05 05:42 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

um...nooo. I've been measured in my clothes, but a bra and undies should be fine.
*I see another thread topic* "Creepy designers!" lol

Dec 02 05 05:43 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

NO, being completely nude for fittings is not necessary. Sometimes they want to take measurements with or without a bra, but you KEEP ON your panties!!! Sometimes for the fitting itself, they'll either ask you to keep on or take off your bra, that is normal!!

elisaveta

Dec 02 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Being fitted in the nude is a normal thing. In fact it's a must. Same goes with light testing. The model should always be nude when a photographer is testing lights. Oh....and lets not forget signing a model release.......you should always be nude when signing one. That way the photographer can see that you are not hiding anything. But you can keep your clothes on for most of the other stuff.

Dec 02 05 05:50 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

elisaveta wrote:
NO, being completely nude for fittings is not necessary. Sometimes they want to take measurements with or without a bra, but you KEEP ON your panties!!! Sometimes for the fitting itself, they'll either ask you to keep on or take off your bra, that is normal!!

elisaveta

Well that's what I thought. But when I suggested to one of them what's wrong with me keeping on my underwear, they just said I should bring a friend along with me if I was uncomfortable. They still made it clear it was a must that I be nude though. That threw me off...if they were just trying to cop a feel why suggest I bring someone along?

Dec 02 05 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've heard of this often with New York designers, but most won't complain if you leave your panties on.

Dec 02 05 05:51 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Thomas B wrote:
Being fitted in the nude is a normal thing. In fact it's a must. Same goes with light testing. The model should always be nude when a photographer is testing lights. Oh....and lets not forget signing a model release.......you should always be nude when signing one. That way the photographer can see that you are not hiding anything. But you can keep your clothes on for most of the other stuff.

I disagree,
I've been doing fittings for a long time, and a model does NOT have to be NUDE!! Keep your panties ON! It's not about being shy here, it's just not necessary to take your panties off!

Dec 02 05 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Thomas B wrote:

And don't mind the video camera.  It's just for archival purposes.  tongue

(Thomas, I don't think you were sarcastic enough...)

Dec 02 05 05:58 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

raveneyes wrote:
I've heard of this often with New York designers, but most won't complain if you leave your panties on.

Ok...maybe I just had an overreaction and i'll discuss it with them more. I can understand topless because of how certain tops are cut but demanding no underwear on just to check the size of hips can't be really neccessary.

Thanks for all the help.

Dec 02 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Brian Diaz wrote:

(Thomas, I don't think you were sarcastic enough...)

I know...I should of stepped it up a notch lol

Dec 02 05 06:03 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't do this professionally, obviously, so when things like this come along i'm not sure what the basic way of doing things are ok. I could try to feel it out to see if it's legit but hey I may be wrong sometimes. Is it so bad that I just asked for advice.

Dec 02 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Thomas B wrote:

this reminds me of one of the shoots i had with liz ashley(MM#26159)...she was nude the whole time...literally had to ask her to put clothes ON when we weren't shooting...

even shared skittles with her(still nekkid) on my couch...

Dec 02 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

No offense was intended--just a little fun.  smile

Dec 02 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I have never asked a model to do a fitting in the nude, but I have had models just change right in front of me! The key here is respect for the model and their privacy. If it feels wrong it is wrong!

Dec 02 05 06:08 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I believe there are a few big designers in NY in trouble for this and touchy.

Bra and panties should be enough but most tailors can take measurements without.
Some hands at certain places but not others places.

There was a friends episode on something like this.  (Brian would know the episode.)

Many models care and many do not care but to be required to do so does not make sense to me.

Dec 02 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Marllee wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't do this professionally, obviously, so when things like this come along i'm not sure what the basic way of doing things are ok. I could try to feel it out to see if it's legit but hey I may be wrong sometimes. Is it so bad that I just asked for advice.

We were just playing. Your question was a great one and you got some great answers. I was just having a good time

Dec 02 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

chapa wrote:

this reminds me of one of the shoots i had with liz ashley(MM#26159)...she was nude the whole time...literally had to ask her to put clothes ON when we weren't shooting...

Too funny....lol

Dec 02 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

For a fitting? Perhaps, based on the item, the bra would come off, but never the panties......when modeling some items, the designer may very well demand no panties underneath........but getting totally naked for a fitting - nah.

I shoot for a couple of wildly manic designers and even they would not ask for complete nudity for a fitting......
just my .02c

Dec 02 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

chapa wrote:

LOL! Liz is VERY comfortable with her body and nudity as I found out when I worked with her. We spent more time talking than shooting, very easy to work with and get along with.

Yulia, a model I work with frequently, is usually nude when she does a fitting for a designer she works with a lot. They are comfortable with each other. A model should not have to do something she is not comfortable with - I see no reason why the bottoms have to be off.

Dec 02 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

LOL! Liz is VERY comfortable with her body and nudity as I found out when I worked with her. We spent more time talking than shooting, very easy to work with and get along with.

Yulia, a model I work with frequently, is usually nude when she does a fitting for a designer she works with a lot. They are comfortable with each other. A model should not have to do something she is not comfortable with - I see no reason why the bottoms have to be off.

yeah, liz is EXTREMELY comfortable with her body...and fun to shoot with...more like hanging out than anything...

most of my models change AND fit in front of me...some choose to wear their undies...those who come commando have never seemed to mind...and then there were those who could care less either way...but it's NEVER mandatory that they do so...

and considering the small amount of material involved, i'm not sure why someone couldn't work AROUND it...

Dec 02 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MHana wrote:
There was a friends episode on something like this.  (Brian would know the episode.)

This one?

Dec 02 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Brian Diaz wrote:

This one?

Ok....first off...that is funny....but my main question is how you found that so fast?

Dec 02 05 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Thomas B wrote:

Ok....first off...that is funny....but my main question is how you found that so fast?

It's the (useless) information superhighway!  Everything's somewhere.

Dec 02 05 06:36 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Brian, that's too funny...wink

Dec 02 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

It's the (useless) information superhighway!  Everything's somewhere.

dude, you're EVIL...

Dec 02 05 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

DRowan

Port Orange, Florida, US

Thomas B wrote:

No nude coughing though.....previously hidden muscles suddenly spring into action (so I hear).

Dec 02 05 06:49 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

DRowan wrote:

No nude coughing though.....previously hidden muscles suddenly spring into action (so I hear).

*laughs* 

I'd say keep the panties and lose the bra if they are that demanding and you still want to work with them.  I can't for the life of me see why they would need you to remove panties.

Dec 02 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i'm usually nude during fittings. that's okay, right? only a couple of models seem to take issue with it.

mind you, i do a lot of work with the blind...

Dec 02 05 07:01 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

As someone who designs and constructs clothes, I wouldn't ask someone to take their clothes off, much less their underwear.  Shit, with clothes on (form fitting), that's like 2''-4'' difference.  How tight do they want to make the items?

Dec 02 05 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Every fashion shoot or runway I have been involved with asked the girls to wear panties. Some had both bra and panties. But NONE asked for them to be totally nude.

M

Dec 02 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Every fashion shoot or runway I have been involved with asked the girls to wear panties. Some had both bra and panties. But NONE asked for them to be totally nude.

M

You just aren't going to the right shows... LOL

LINK- RUNWAY MALFUNCTION

Studio36

Dec 03 05 04:54 am Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Thomas B wrote:

ok, that was funny...  LOL

Dec 03 05 11:53 am Link

Model

Nyx Valentine

Aliso Viejo, California, US

I think I'm the only person here who will defend this. I'm a designer, for latex/vinyl/leather clothing.  Stuff that when you're tailoring, you wouldn't want to have -anything- on, because it -will- ruin the line of the clothing.  Panties- cotton or satin, or whatever, will cause fabric/material to cling to that spot, and if that's not what you want, then...it's kind of annoying.  Corsets especially, need to be fitted nude, as you don't wear a bra under one, and a bra really alters your measurements.  Now, if you're just doing measurements, and not actually fitting clothes to you, go for it, keep your panties on.  But when it comes to actually fitting the clothes, I have people nude. 

*And I would never cop a feel, nor have I been accused of such ever...That's unprofessional, and they could cop a feel through your underwear just as easily.*

Dec 03 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Megan_Gallagher wrote:
I think I'm the only person here who will defend this. I'm a designer, for latex/vinyl/leather clothing.  Stuff that when you're tailoring, you wouldn't want to have -anything- on, because it -will- ruin the line of the clothing.  Panties- cotton or satin, or whatever, will cause fabric/material to cling to that spot, and if that's not what you want, then...it's kind of annoying.  Corsets especially, need to be fitted nude, as you don't wear a bra under one, and a bra really alters your measurements.  Now, if you're just doing measurements, and not actually fitting clothes to you, go for it, keep your panties on.  But when it comes to actually fitting the clothes, I have people nude. 

*And I would never cop a feel, nor have I been accused of such ever...That's unprofessional, and they could cop a feel through your underwear just as easily.*

Interesting point you've raised.  Depending on the garment, nude fittings can be necessary. 

Now if someone's asking you, Marllee, to do a nude fitting for say, shoes or bracelets, well that's a different story...

Dec 03 05 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Marllee wrote:
...I always reject offers from designers who say I need to be nude so they could take my measurements, but is this some norm that i'm just not aware of?

May I interest you in some property in the beautiful Mojave Desert?

Dec 03 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Don't know about fittings, but I think models need to be nude for headshots.

-Don

Dec 03 05 11:39 pm Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

Los Angeles, California, US

if your gut feeling is telling you that its weird and uneccessary, that feelings probably right. You obviously posted this b.c u felt a bit violated. if you didnt, you would have proceeded with the fitting. dont let fuck faces get you like that.

Dec 03 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

elisaveta wrote:

I disagree,
I've been doing fittings for a long time, and a model does NOT have to be NUDE!! Keep your panties ON! It's not about being shy here, it's just not necessary to take your panties off!

Umm...it was a joke.......

Dec 03 05 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Marllee wrote:

Wow...touchy....lighten up Marllee

Dec 03 05 11:54 pm Link