Forums > General Industry > Favorite coffee table books

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Pool Light - Howard Schatz. A collection of underwater photography focusing on people, some glamour, some fashion, some figure study, this is the book that turned me on to photography.
I bought myself this book after flipping through it in a bookstore when I was a senior in high school, before I ever knew there was such a thing as a coffee table book.
I didn't know crap about photographers. I knew of painters and studied their work at the Louvre, but didn't know a damn about the work of photographers. This is the book that opened my eyes to this medium.

Dec 05 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I've caught a jones for big books--among others, Plisson's The Sea; Avedon's Woman in the Mirror; Derrick and Muir's Unseen Vogue.  The dumb thing is I've got them living on the bookcase beneath the coffee pot (no spills, please).

Dec 06 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
vellum
japan vogue
noise
ten magazine international fashion and beauty

my favs.. smile

i like all those magazines. in fact, i've saved (multiple) issues of each one. perhaps noise most of all.

Dec 06 05 09:33 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Ok, the first thread I've attempted to start, here goes:

it's a very nice thread...good job wink.

Dec 06 05 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
I have an autographed version of "Necronomicons"
offers??

No, thanks. Got my own. smile

Also in the coffee table collection:

The Stanley Kubrick Archive
The Beatles Recording Sessions (more of a reference tome for me)
Gods of Heaven and Earth (Joel-Peter Witkin)
Exquisite Mayhem (Theo Ehret compendium)

Dec 06 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Not really a coffee table book but one of the most useful books I have ever had. Eddie Ephraums, Creative Elements. It has been lying around my studio for years and the number of times I refer to it is amazing. Anyone interested in Fine Art photography should have it in their collection.

Dec 07 05 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I want a copy of Kramers coffee table book. A book about coffee tables which also had foldable legs on it so the book itself became a small table! Anyone remember that episode,lol. But in all seriousness, I like a lot of the Taschen books dealing with art nudes, pinups, they have a few good ones on still life and such. And I have also become a HUGE Imogen Cunningham fan over the last year or two. There is also a female photographer whose name escapes me but she did a lot of industrial  and skyscraper architecture photography around the 1940s. If anyone might know who I am talking about please email me her name. I would love to see if she has books. I only saw her on some PBS special a couple years back.

Dec 08 05 01:50 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

Timothy M. Hughes wrote:
The Beauty of Fetish Vol. 1, Steve Diet Goedde

hehehe

i'm on the cover of that book.

i dig it

Dec 08 05 02:35 am Link

Model

Rx

kumi wrote:

hehehe

i'm on the cover of that book.

i dig it

heehee!!!

Dec 08 05 02:37 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

hmmm to start

Inferno - by Nachtwey
Vietnam - by Burrows
robert capa: the definitive collection - whelan

Dec 08 05 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I didn't read everyone's post as its getting late and I actually have to try to get some sleep tonight. But one I purchased recently and I think is totally awesome is "Voice Within" by Craig Blacklock. Its a book of nudes taken around Lake Superior with his wife modeling. The photos are stunning, and I believe taken with a 4x5 camera. Craig Blacklock is very well known for his nature photography and has several books out.

-P-

Dec 08 05 03:12 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
There is also a female photographer whose name escapes me but she did a lot of industrial  and skyscraper architecture photography around the 1940s. If anyone might know who I am talking about please email me her name. I would love to see if she has books. I only saw her on some PBS special a couple years back.

Margaret Bourke-White perhaps? There are others but she is arguably the most known of that period and genre. There were a few others, but she's the only woman who's stuff of skyscrapers and smokestacks and such from the 40's that people would be talking much about today.

Interestingly enough, Bourke-White was one of the most successful commercial photographers in New York in the 1940s.  And when I say commercial photography, I mean all genres, everything from fashion to product to architectural, you name it. She had her studio on the 100th floor of the Empire State Building.

Dec 08 05 06:15 am Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Femme Fatale - Serge Norman
PhotoGraphy - Gilles Bensimon
American Women - Calvin Klein Bryan Adams
Portraits - Timothy White
Notorious - Herb Ritts

and for pure fun

Physiognomy - Mark Seliger

Dec 09 05 02:07 pm Link