Forums > General Industry > Question about emailing models for availablity.

Photographer

PJQ Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Hello everybody,

I just joined the site a couple months ago and haven't yet worked with anyone on MM.  I'm hoping to have a shoot this weekend, and my question is:  I only need one model, but is it common and/or okay to ask/email more than one model of their availability for the same shoot?  If so, would it be wise to let them know in the message that others are being asked as well, and it's whomever commits to it first?  Or is it a given - Models just assume others are being approached for the same shoot.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Paul

Dec 01 05 03:56 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

When someone approaches me with a time,
I dont normally assume Im going to have to ninja battle other models for the slot I was just offered....

Dec 01 05 04:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

From my experience you have to fight the odds.  Chances are many models won't acknowledge your inquiry or won't do so on a timely manner.    I personally would like for models to include their availability to shoot on their profile. (As in,  I work 8-5 on weekdays so I'm only available to shoot on weekends, or I go clubbing most nights so I don't do morning shoots)

Dec 01 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

You can never really tell.  Sometimes the first model contacted commits within an hour.  Sometimes nobody checks their messages for a week.

The only time I really make a concerted effort to contact models is when I'm traveling to a new area.  Typically I'll start a couple of weeks in advance, and prioritize who I want to work with the most.  If there is no response within 24 hours, I try another one, and so on.  Usually someone wants to talk before long, but the best policy is to be honest and let people know that you're contacting several.  Until you learn to screen models, I'd recommend a little redundancy in number of contacts, as you may have seen elsewhere in these forums cancellations and no shows can be fairly common.  There are about a million models in LA though, so you should be able to find someone easily enough.

Some models will agree to shoot together, if anything it adds a  safety margin for them, so it never hurts to ask.  But unless it's specifically agreed to, it might be better to try to book two or three shoots in a day or a weekend but staggered a few hours apart.  That way each model gets your full attention, and if one is a no show you still get to shoot.

I have heard of instances where a photographer has shot two models at once, taken a greater interest in one and almost ignored the other who then left mid-shoot in disgust... so think about how well you can multitask before even considering a two on one.

Dec 01 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

glenneroo

Vienna, Wien, Austria

i would ask as many people as possible "if they might have time on any weekend of this month", not specifying a particular date. Of those that respond in the next, say, 72 hours, you can slot them into the days you yourself have available...

i often send out piles of mails first to see if anybody is even interested (w/o a fixed date). Then i ask each one individually if they would have time on XXth of Month giving a 24 hour response time before moving on to the next person...

If you're going to be spontaneous (like myself) get some IM (instant messenger e.g. icq/aim/yahoo/msn/etc) then you can ask them and get a response within 30 minutes (assuming they're online:)   tho of course not everyone has IM but lots of people do these days, and everyone SHOULD! *g*

for conflicting yes' just be honest and say you already found somebody. Leaving a 24-hour response window in there doesn't hurt either... you cant wait around forever for a response.

Dec 01 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

PJQ Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  I'm glad I asked before I sent.

Dec 02 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well for my work I always look at more than one model.  I let them all know that this is just a general question to see who might be interested.  I tell them that I have just started looking for a model and here is what I need.

I also tell them the pay, and what goes on and send them my web sites so they can see my work. 

After I start getting back replies I do not look anymore and go from those who are interested and then I start talking with each model on the phone so I can try and get to know her and she know me.

But I am sure everybody does things different than I do.  But in 15 years of doing trips around the country with 1-2 models per trip and 2-4 trips per year I have never had a no show.  I have photographers who have paid to come on these trips and yes I have to depend on the models to be there.  So doing what I do works very well for me.

This year will be my first year of hiring mostly MM models.  So I will see how that record holds up.  bs

Dec 02 05 03:50 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Nemi wrote:
I dont normally assume Im going to have to ninja battle other models for the slot I was just offered....

thanks for the idea for my next project!!!...say what are you doing this saturday?!?

Dec 02 05 07:20 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Charcoal Artist wrote:
From my experience you have to fight the odds.  Chances are many models won't acknowledge your inquiry or won't do so on a timely manner.    I personally would like for models to include their availability to shoot on their profile. (As in,  I work 8-5 on weekdays so I'm only available to shoot on weekends, or I go clubbing most nights so I don't do morning shoots)

Best advice I have heard so far on MM.

Dec 02 05 11:32 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

BCG wrote:
thanks for the idea for my next project!!!...say what are you doing this saturday?!?

lol is it ninja battle shoot time?
I didn't know texas had ninjas!

Dec 03 05 02:24 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Ohhhh...I love a good Ninja battle.

I'll bring my sword and shurikens. wink

Dec 03 05 02:39 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Seth wrote:
Ohhhh...I love a good Ninja battle.

I'll bring my sword and shurikens. wink

yes! im starting a trend, all models shall have ninja counterparts!

Dec 03 05 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Nemi wrote:

Maybe my next book will be "Ninja Battle Angels." The whole concept will be to offer 5 girls the same time slot. I shoot the battle, then do the real shoot with the victor.

I only have two swords, is it polite to ask a model to bring their own?

Dec 03 05 04:51 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

starmodels wrote:

Maybe my next book will be "Ninja Battle Angels." The whole concept will be to offer 5 girls the same time slot. I shoot the battle, then do the real shoot with the victor.

I only have two swords, is it polite to ask a model to bring their own?

LoL and what if during the battle the victor has lost three fingers and their nose?
smile

Dec 08 05 11:19 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Nemi wrote:

LoL and what if during the battle the victor has lost three fingers and their nose?
smile

Then she's cut off her nose 'despite' her face?

Dec 08 05 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

CandidView wrote:
Hello everybody,

I just joined the site a couple months ago and haven't yet worked with anyone on MM.  I'm hoping to have a shoot this weekend, and my question is:  I only need one model, but is it common and/or okay to ask/email more than one model of their availability for the same shoot?  If so, would it be wise to let them know in the message that others are being asked as well, and it's whomever commits to it first?  Or is it a given - Models just assume others are being approached for the same shoot.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Paul

My opinion, you need to let the models know that are you booking OTHER models as well.  And if everyone shows up, you have to shoot everyone as per your agreements.  If you only want to work with one model, then only book one model and hope they show up and/or be on time.

The more models you book, you increase the odds of someone showing up and someone being on-time.  WHat would be nice about this is if one shows up on-time and the other late, you might be done with one by the time the other is ready.

You can shoot them together smile

But again, I'd make sure you tell them you are booking other models otherwise you run the risk of making them feel like their time with you is being cheated if you get two models showing up in the same block of time and one having to sit out while you work with the other.  And that, in my opinion, is not professional.

Dec 08 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Most of the time, I just ask one model & wait a little while (a couple of days) for a response before asking another model.  But in those cases where I ask multiple models, I feel better letting them know that I'm asking multiple models.

Dec 08 05 12:55 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Hey hey! the topic of this thread clearly became ninjas over a week ago! Don't derail lol

Dec 09 05 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The best and most efficient way I have found to book models is to have them come to you. Post a casting call. Then YOU get to pick out of the models that do respond.

Dec 09 05 02:17 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
The best and most efficient way I have found to book models is to have them come to you. Post a casting call. Then YOU get to pick out of the models that do respond.

However if you're going to post a casting call.... Respond in a timely manner.  Models have schedules as well and it makes it difficult when the photographer posting hasn't responded back to a reply.  If anything.... a simple, I'll let you know or I've chosen someone else would be great :-)

Dec 09 05 02:32 pm Link