Forums > General Industry > MasterCard Presents: The REAL cost of TFP/CD

Photographer

Beautiful Rocks

San Jose, California, US

That is classic. What a waste of such beautiful talent. If I had that chance I wouldn't make that mistake. Look on the bright side atleast it wasn't your wedding day. I had a photo friend of mine charge $3500 for a wedding and all 800 hundred images were all black from the waste up. He didn't have his camera flash synced correctly.
Are you coming to Cali anytime soon. ; )

Chris

Dec 01 05 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

ARTform Images wrote:
That is classic. What a waste of such beautiful talent. If I had that chance I wouldn't make that mistake. Look on the bright side atleast it wasn't your wedding day. I had a photo friend of mine charge $3500 for a wedding and all 800 hundred images were all black from the waste up. He didn't have his camera flash synced correctly.
Are you coming to Cali anytime soon. ; )

Chris

That sounds like a lawsuit in the making

Dec 01 05 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

W/ all the photographers that are constantly bitching about the good & evils of TFP, why am I not surprised that nobody's shooting.

Dec 01 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

BCG wrote:
i hope she got a kiss out of the deal...cuz she got f*cked.

If she thinks she got a good deal, she did.

Dec 01 05 06:58 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

what a terrible story!  i feel for you, really, i do.  sad

while everyone is berating you for your selection of this photographer, i figure you were just 'bamboozled'.  sad  at least you got the shots.  *shrug*  tfps are seldom worth the trouble.  every so often, you get something good and then you feel like it's worth the risk...

hopefully, this will clear the 'bad shoot karma' for you and the next will be better.  and i have to agree, i wouldn't have paid that kind of money for a tfp unless i thought the photog could really boost my book.

Dec 01 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Could have been worse, he could have pulled out his camera phone big_smile Why on earth didnt you look at his work VERY carefully before doing this?

Dec 01 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Well, if the plane flew the proper course, the rental car drove smoothly and the lodging was comfortable then you got exactly what you paid for: a brief getaway from work. 

I agree with something pointed out earlier:  for the money you put out for a trade, you could've paid any number of excellent photographers within driving distance.  Instead of making such arrangements specifically for a trade-shoot, consider booking the shoot when you're travelling for other reasons.  Fly to CA or NY or wherever for a little fun or to visit friends/family and as an aside do a photoshoot.  That way, the results of your shoot don't validate your dollars spent; the enjoyment you find on your trip will validate that. 

As to the slow shutter speed, I shot my avatar somewhere below a tenth of a second.  When you're determined to shoot in low light, a tripod and a cable release can be your best friend...

Dec 01 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
As to the slow shutter speed, I shot my avatar somewhere below a tenth of a second.  When you're determined to shoot in low light, a tripod and a cable release can be your best friend...

AMEN Brotha Jay Preach On!

Dec 01 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

FreddyB wrote:

handheld at Auto, ISO 100, Shutter Speed 1/3 seconds?? technically questionable....... 
https://bestsmileys.com/thinking/1.gif

yeah it doesn't add it up. it seems maybe the lighting was too low -- if 1/3 speed is true. and 700+ pics doesn't seem like film. and in auto, if the lighting was low, the camera might not be able to focus, besides being handheld at that shutter speed.

Dec 01 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

RLCunningham

Seattle, Washington, US

Dec 01 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

DRowan

Port Orange, Florida, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Or was he using flash lights (I've seen it done)?
I have to dig up some shots I did a few years ago with a model laying still in the dark. I opened the shutter on a tripod and started painting her in with colored flashlights.

We shot on some highly saturated slide film and most exposures sucked. Some were really interesting. A couple were really cool.

Thanks for bringing it up. Now that I can do the same thing digital...Please understand what I say when I ask... "Any beautiful women want to lay around in the dark with me?"

Hmmmmmmmmmm...I did this with a small flashlight & very still model:

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/3/6/6/3/4390475293cfd.jpg

Dec 02 05 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

DRowan wrote:

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/3/6/6/3/4390475293cfd.jpg

Very nice! I'm impressed.

-P-

Dec 02 05 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

DRowan wrote:

This reminds me of another trick. In bulb mode, have the model write their name or something in the air with a flash light. At the very end, flash a strobe. I have some pics from a long time ago, I will have to try and find them. should be done in complete darkness. I wonder if it would work with a laser?

Dec 02 05 07:46 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

Jack North wrote:

This reminds me of another trick. In bulb mode, have the model write their name or something in the air with a flash light. At the very end, flash a strobe. I have some pics from a long time ago, I will have to try and find them. should be done in complete darkness. I wonder if it would work with a laser?

Try filtering your flashlights and paint with different colors. Highlight certain areas. My best shots were when the model was laying. I used total darkness and some fairly weak lights and let them saturate. I got some REALLY colorful results that were pretty interesting.

I'm going to go find a naked girl...

... to be continued ...

Dec 02 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby Knight

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Bethany Gilbert Photo wrote:

Umm... I think someone already said this... but how can it be on auto if the iso and shutter speed are set?  Maybe shutter priority?

I thought it was just me thinking that..lol

Dec 02 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

RobHowardStudios wrote:

Try filtering your flashlights and paint with different colors. Highlight certain areas. My best shots were when the model was laying. I used total darkness and some fairly weak lights and let them saturate. I got some REALLY colorful results that were pretty interesting.

I'm going to go find a naked girl...

... to be continued ...

just remember -- don't fly someone in at their own expense and use a tripod.

Dec 02 05 06:24 pm Link

Model

Daphne Adair

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

I am responding to my original post due to so much confusion and a lot of emails and instant messages regarding how/why this happened….

First, I did not shoot with a GWC. I did not pick a crappy photographer. He is a published photographer that has over 45 Showcase images on OMP, which would appear to most that he would know what he is doing. We agreed to work together (TFCD) in order to get the images published in several magazines – a win-win situation for both of us. The photographer DID pay for my hotel room. Out of the 700+ images, about 20 were salvageable. I did not post the worst pic. And I will not "out" the photographer. Upon returning home and crying when I saw the images, I could just see the whole situation playing out like a MasterCard commercial gone bad.

For those that wonder about the technical details, here's the EXIF, if you don’t understand them, you probably don’t understand how ISO is set in auto mode. The images where shot by modeling light cause the photographer couldn’t find his pocket wizard to trigger the flash.

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
DateTime - 1980:01:01 00:00:01
YCbCrPositioning - Centered
ExifOffset - 196
ExposureTime - 1/3.3 seconds
FNumber - 4.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 1980:01:01 00:00:01
DateTimeDigitized - 1980:01:01 00:00:01
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 3 (bits/pixel)
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/3 seconds
ApertureValue - F 4.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 4.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 27 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3072
ExifImageHeight - 2048
InteroperabilityOffset - 2366
FocalPlaneXResolution - 3443.95
FocalPlaneYResolution - 3442.02
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Maker Note (Vendor): -
Macro mode - Off
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Sequence mode - Single or Timer
Focus mode - AI Focus
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - High, +1
Saturation - High, +1
Sharpness - High, +1
ISO Value - 100
Metering mode - Evaluative
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Program
Focal length - 18 - 55 mm (1 mm)
Flash activity - Not fired
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0.00 EV
Subject Distance - 77
Image Type - IMG:EOS DIGITAL REBEL JPEG
Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.1.1

Dec 02 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

SexyJena wrote:
For those that wonder about the technical details, here's the EXIF, if you don’t understand them, you probably don’t understand how ISO is set in auto mode. The images where shot by modeling light cause the photographer couldn’t find his pocket wizard to trigger the flash.

Make - Canon
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
ExifOffset - 196
FNumber - 4.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
ApertureValue - F 4.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 27 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3072
ExifImageHeight - 2048
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
Macro mode - Off
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Focus mode - AI Focus
Image size - Large
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - High, +1
Saturation - High, +1
Sharpness - High, +1
ISO Value - 100
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Program
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0.00 EV
Subject Distance - 77

Amazing. Who on earth shoots with everything in Auto!?

The only professionals I know of who shoot that way are sports photographers with super-fast auto-focus lenses because they need to capture things so fast, they have no choice.

But shooting with a model and everything is on Auto? Weird.

Personally, I often shoot with everything on manual except Exposure Priortiy and allow the camera to pick the shutter speed. But I even feel guilty of being some lame hack when I do THAT.

Dec 02 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Jack North wrote:

If the air is very clear, you won't get much, if any, of the beam shining in mid-air. Depending on what you had in mind, this might take the fun out your laser idea. If you have fog or smoke effects happening, you can see the beam in the haze. Of course, the model could use the laser to write her name on a nearby white wall, and the camera would record the laser's reflection from the wall.

take care,
Glen

Dec 02 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Glen Berry wrote:

If the air is very clear, you won't get much, if any, of the beam shining in mid-air. Depending on what you had in mind, this might take the fun out your laser idea. If you have fog or smoke effects happening, you can see the beam in the haze. Of course, the model could use the laser to write her name on a nearby white wall, and the camera would record the laser's reflection from the wall.

take care,
Glen

sorry to Jena for causing the sub-topic on her thread, but what about in clear air, running a laser over the model, do anyone think the model shape would be visible -- kindof like a matrix thing?

Dec 02 05 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

SexyJena wrote:
I am responding to my original post due to so much confusion and a lot of emails and instant messages regarding how/why this happened….

First, I did not shoot with a GWC. I did not pick a crappy photographer. He is a published photographer that has over 45 Showcase images on omp, which would appear to most that he would know what he is doing. We agreed to work together (TFCD) in order to get the images published in several magazines – a win-win situation for both of us. The photographer DID pay for my hotel room. Out of the 700  images, about 20 were salvageable. I did not post the worst pic. And I will not "out" the photographer. Upon returning home and crying when I saw the images, I could just see the whole situation playing out like a MasterCard commercial gone bad.

Make - Canon
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
ExifOffset - 196
FNumber - 4.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
ApertureValue - F 4.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 27 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3072
ExifImageHeight - 2048
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
Macro mode - Off
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Focus mode - AI Focus
Image size - Large
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - High,  1
Saturation - High,  1
Sharpness - High,  1
ISO Value - 100
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Program
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0.00 EV
Subject Distance - 77

Well most and not all strobe/flashes have a internal slave.........pocket wizard aside he couldve triggered the flash/strobe with the Rebels pop up flash and diffused it with a white balloon or tape. A self timer with a pop up flash from the camera wouldve set off the strobe/flash from its slave. A tripod or sturdy flat surface is strongly recommended. Auto ISO has its points but not at 100 on this shot . The shot needed to be at least 200 ISO. It went below 1/60th of a second at F4 which means that room and the lighting was dark as hell to the camera. I would think F2.8 at the least 200ISO

IMHO published photog or not this was technically a bad shot period. The pose and angle are strong however. If it was me it wouldve been in the recycle bin before it was given to the model.

This is one of the few  reasons why I look over proofs before I give it to the model. I hope he was ok with you showing this to everyone....

Dec 02 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Jack North wrote:

Scanned from a 25 year-old Tri-X negative from my college photo class days:

https://www.richardsfault.com/photography/11-strange/022.jpg

I have long forgotten the details of how I did this, but it must have been something like you describe.

Dec 02 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

SexyJena wrote:
The images where shot by modeling light cause the photographer couldn’t find his pocket wizard to trigger the flash.

Did he check his pocket smile

SexyJena wrote:

Theres the problem. He was using an outdated camera wink

Dec 02 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

just becasue they're Published doesn't make them good.....it just means they have good contacts, and know how to sell. I know of a Photographer(use the term loosely here) that had a ton of stuff published, and lots of One-person shows, etc etc.... But give them a fully manual camera, and they could NOT take a decent photo to save their life. Their camera was one of those Minolta auto-focus(this was over 20 year ago when auto-focus was brand new). They happend to be published becasue of their JOB... and nothing else....and NO I won't out this person either...

On the Other hand...everyone does have a bad day......

SexyJena wrote:

First, I did not shoot with a GWC. I did not pick a crappy photographer. He is a published photographer that has over 45 Showcase images on OMP, which would appear to most that he would know what he is doing. We agreed to work together (TFCD) in order to get the images published in several magazines – a win-win situation for both of us. The photographer DID pay for my hotel room. Out of the 700+ images, about 20 were salvageable. I did not post the worst pic. And I will not "out" the photographer. Upon returning home and crying when I saw the images, I could just see the whole situation playing out like a MasterCard commercial gone bad.

Make - Canon
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
ExifOffset - 196
FNumber - 4.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
ApertureValue - F 4.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 27 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3072
ExifImageHeight - 2048
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
Macro mode - Off
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Focus mode - AI Focus
Image size - Large
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - High, +1
Saturation - High, +1
Sharpness - High, +1
ISO Value - 100
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Program
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0.00 EV
Subject Distance - 77

Dec 02 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
I'm so sorry Jena.....

Was this all shot on one of those film camera thingies?
Why did it take so long to realize how far off his damn images were? I'm not saying digital is fool proof, but at least you can see after a couple of shots that your dick is stuck in your zipper and adjustments need to be made.

It wouldn't have mattered if it was film or digital...shooting hand held at 1/3 of a second would've given anyone motion blur even with the highest priced cameras on the market.  A tripod would've helped, but then the model has to be perfectly still as well.  Also, I've tried out several digital cameras and found that proofing on the back screen will cause you to loose more shots if you're being lazy and only using that gauge your work. 

As for me, well, I still shoot with that "Film camera thingy", as you call it.  I know my lenses, and I know how they affect the film that I'm shooting.  In fact, I did a whole series of night shots, using only existing streetlights, and found I had more success with film than with the digital camera. 

Let's face it, if the final product sucks, it's NOT the camera's fault.  You could put the same camera that was used for Jena's shot in the hands of a better photographer and I'd bet anything that she would've gotten better shots.  Think about it....How many times have you been to a party or a reception, and a family member hands you their camera and says, "Here, you take it.  You're a better photographer than I am." ?  Doesn't happen as often (if ever) on model/photographer sites.

Ultimately, he WAS in fact using one them thar new fangled contraptions called a ...whut?...a DEE-GEE-TAIL REBEL??  I might be ig'nant fo' still using that ol' films stuff, but I'ma' bettin' I coulda' sho' nuff shot it ok with ma' ol' brownie box camera.

Dec 03 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Word of the Day for Saturday December 3, 2005

chagrin \shuh-GRIN\, noun:
Acute vexation, annoyance, or embarrassment, arising from disappointment or failure.

transitive verb:
To unsettle or vex by disappointment or humiliation; to mortify.

He ran away to the recruiting office at Ottumwa, a river port where Union soldiers were transported east--how he got to the town, a good half-day journey by wagon, isn't clear--and to his chagrin, he found his father waiting there.
--Allen Barra, Inventing Wyatt Earp: His Life and Many Legends

Dec 03 05 07:02 pm Link