Forums > General Industry > Hearing all of these stories...

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

Reading all of this negative stuff about the photography industry and what not, it makes me sort of glad that i haven't gone professional. It also makes me hesitant to do so. I fear losing whatever edge i have and just be pissed at stuff all the time.

Though i know this isn't how it always is, it just seems so common that it's scary.

Nov 20 05 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Then keep shooting for the fun of it. I do.

Edit: If you believe the negative you read, you should become better educated so you'll know what the truth is and what’s not.
I’m not saying you’re not an educated person, just trust what you know to be true and research the rest if it intrigues you.

There is a large percentage of erroneous and misleading information on the internet.

Nov 20 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

What profession is there with no horror stories and no chance of getting to the point of being pissed off all the time?

Most of the complaints are due to miscommunication and immature backlashing, which are indications of unprofessionality.  But what do you really expect from the Internet?

Nov 20 05 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I don't want to say this because I am not out to knock anyone, but I, quite frankly, have had few problems in the mainstream at all.  My commercial clients and the professional photographers that have rented my studio are great to work with.

I have also had a lot of great expereinces with net models and photogaphers as well.  I am sure it makes a difference that I pay models and don't do TFP.  It also makes a difference that I am in the business full-time (I am not a plumber on the side, I don't shoot weddings and I don't do portfolios for models).  But I have had a lot of great experiences on the net.

I have also had my share of bad experiences from the net.  But I am a big boy so I don't really worry about it.

The fear of having a bad experience is no reason not to become a professional.  If you love the craft, you will make it work.  The fact is that few of the people on these forums will ever make their living from the entertainment industry.  If that is not your goal, please enjoy yourself as a hobbyist.  Photography is a great way to express yourself.

But also, please don't equate the net with the real world.  It is not the same thing.  The net has something to offer but it operates on a totally different set of rules.

Good luck to you.

Alan

Nov 20 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
What profession is there with no horror stories and no chance of getting to the point of being pissed off all the time?

Most of the complaints are due to miscommunication and immature backlashing, which are indications of unprofessionality.  But what do you really expect from the Internet?

Got a witness. lol

Nov 21 05 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Matthew Allen

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I am going to have to say that beer taster is about the only stress free profession that comes to mind...  Oh boy would I like that job...

Nov 23 05 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Reflective Images

Columbus, Ohio, US

As my famed mentor in photography once told me.....there will always be critics and negativity when you're talented and successful.  In this industry, in this day and age, unfortunately it goes with the territory.  The smart thing to do is to not get lured in to the industry BUZZ and become a part of the backbiter game.  Be an individualist.....not part of a clique.

My personal advice......Sometimes you have to Free Associate in order to Disassociate from negative people.

S.....

Nov 23 05 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

Reflective Images wrote:
As my famed mentor in photography once told me.....there will always be critics and negativity when you're talented and successful.  In this industry, in this day and age, unfortunately it goes with the territory.  The smart thing to do is to not get lured in to the industry BUZZ and become a part of the backbiter game.  Be an individualist.....not part of a clique.

My personal advice......Sometimes you have to Free Associate in order to Disassociate from negative people.

S.....

That's great advice, thanks a lot.

Thanks to everyone else too, i appreciate it.

Nov 25 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Gotham Photo wrote:
I am going to have to say that beer taster is about the only stress free profession that comes to mind...  Oh boy would I like that job...

Stress free... until you tasted a lot already, and have to use the bathroom to be able to continue "testing"... and you encounter a line of 8 people in front of you, and only three are there to pee... big_smile

Then we talk about "stress free" again... LOL

Nov 25 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Gotham Photo wrote:

Unfortunately, beer tasting isn't really stress free.  First only a small segment of the population has sufficiently sensitive taste buds to discern problems in the beer.

Then you have to familiarize, and memorize, the taste of all the various products that the brewery makes.  That would be slightly over 30 for Miller.

Then, you're given 3 samples, two controls and one actual sample. You have to figure out which is the sample and what if anything is wrong with it based on the taste.  Then that's backtracked through the brewing process to figure out what went wrong during the production.  If the taster is wrong, then you could cost the company big bucks in lost production.  No, no stress there.

One of my students recently wrote a paper on beer tasting, so this info is based on what I remember reading while I was grading it, and my be incorrect.

Nov 25 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

UdoR wrote:

Stress free... until you tasted a lot already, and have to use the bathroom to be able to continue "testing"... and you encounter a line of 8 people in front of you, and only three are there to pee... big_smile

Then we talk about "stress free" again... LOL

You're wasted enough by that time to pee anywhere, why use the bathroom?

Nov 25 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Bill Sylvester wrote:
Then that's backtracked through the brewing process to figure out what went wrong during the production.

They used a different horse.

LOL

Studio36

Nov 25 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

studio36uk wrote:
They used a different horse.

Especially if it's a Budwiser product

Nov 25 05 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

work with me and you wil never be scared anymore smile

Nov 26 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Louis Braga wrote:
work with me and you wil never be scared anymore smile

Because you'll be dead.

Nov 26 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

DRowan

Port Orange, Florida, US

Reflective Images wrote:

Been there & done all that.....although now the "clique" has become a group of Sluggo's & model collectors. Plus they outnumber us freelancers by about 30 to 1. Alabama is the #1 Sluggo state in the USA...something to consider before visiting.

Nov 26 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Masha wrote:
Reading all of this negative stuff about the photography industry and what not, it makes me sort of glad that i haven't gone professional. It also makes me hesitant to do so. I fear losing whatever edge i have and just be pissed at stuff all the time.

Though i know this isn't how it always is, it just seems so common that it's scary.

To be perfectly honest, if hearing net stories about ..."all of this negative stuff about the photography industry and what not"... is enough to discourage you from 'going pro', then you probably should not do it. Being a professional photographer is not for everyone, regardless of their skill. There are hardships, difficulties, tough business decisions, frustrations and often stress levels can be high. But there are also rewards, sometimes those rewards can be financial, sometimes not. A great deal of energy is required, but most important is a burning 'need' to support oneself with a camera. If that burning desire is not there and some net stories scare you, the a career in photography is probably not right for you.

Nov 29 05 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Some people just thrive on the negative.  Guess it's human nature.
How many times have you seen an accident on the freeway and people zip right by?  Oh hell no...rubberneckers will back up traffic for hours, hoping to see a glimpse of blood or guts or a severed human head that just won't die.
When people have a bad business experience they tell an average of 10 people...when they have a good experience they tell an average of one.
It's your life and your career...do what makes you happy.  I guess whining and negativity is just another part of the "mayhem".

Nov 30 05 06:36 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

And one other thing...
Whether it be positive or negative, as long as people are talking about you, you're being noticed.
It's when they stop talking about you that you have to worry.

Nov 30 05 06:39 am Link