Forums > General Industry > Something positive ....

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Just wanted to post something positive about a model, as it seems (to me anyway) that much of what goes on in this forum is photogs bitching about models and models bitching about photogs.

I had a shoot scheduled this past weekend (Nov. 12th and 13th) with a Wisconsin model (over 3 hours away from me) and our shoot was to begin around noon. I got a call from her at about noon and she hadn't left yet. At first I immediately thought "oh boy, here we go..another flake", but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and asked what was going on. Turns out that her Grandmother had a medical emergency (fairly serious but not life-threatening) and she had to get that taken care of and couldn't leave until another family member was able to take over for her.
Long story short, she showed up about 6 hours later (with a great attitude) and was perfectly willing to work as late as need be that night in order to make up for being late!
Originally, we had planned to shoot for a while on the morning of the 13th (as it turns out, we share Nov. 13 as our birthday!) as she had friends here locally where she spent the night and even though we worked quite late she was still more then willing to do that..and even stayed longer then she had planned on.
The model I am referring to is Mai Choua Lor.
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=6663
You can also see more of her at my profile.

Sometimes models are just "good people"! My hat's off to you Mai Choua! Thanks for the extra effort! You could have easily used that situation as a valid reason to just cancell....but you did what you had to do and I appreciate it.

Some will accuse me of ass-kissing here, but truly I just think this forum would be a much happier place if people could only say something positive once in a while.
Maybe others could post a recent "good experience" with a model or a photographer!?

Nov 18 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kudos to you Dean for posting this story! It's true not every model flakes in time of emergency but while we've all had a story or two like this throughout our careers most of the time the endings aren't happy.

mike

Nov 18 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Michael Sloane wrote:
Kudos to you Dean for posting this story! It's true not every model flakes in time of emergency but while we've all had a story or two like this throughout our careers most of the time the endings aren't happy.

mike

Hi Mike, How are things in the Windy City! All settled in...again? Your images are looking  great!

What a dork I was for thinking that anyone would even read (much less reply to) a post that is positive! Seems that people enjoy the shit talk much more!

Nov 19 05 12:37 am Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Great to hear that all models aren't flakes! I know we get a bad rep. I've had photogs tell me things started an hour earlier than they actually do, then when I show up on time, tell me that they expected me to be late!

Anyhow, thanks for sharing.

Nov 19 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

It's nice to hear a story like that... she sounds like a super lady to work with.

https://bestsmileys.com/signs5/4.gif

Nov 19 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

About time!!
Let's hear more happy endings...

Nov 19 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

For real, anybody who spends alot of time on shoutbox will tell rave about Mai too.  What a cool model!  I hope I get the chance to work with her one day.  There are definitely GREAT models too- not just the horror stories.

Nov 19 05 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

I can relate to Mai Choua being COOL! She always gives 100% and is a delight to work with... We have shot alot and I'm never dissappointed. Love ya Mai!

Nov 19 05 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

we need more Mai Chouas.

Nov 19 05 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Hurray! Thank you for such a positive, uplifting evaluation of a model and her work ethic.  Most of us who have worked with alot of internet models have our stories about the best and the worst situations and all the occurances in between. I am sure most models have stories about photographers too, also that run the gamut. But in a world when most seem to want to concentrate on and accentuate the negative, it is great when the positive is allowed to shine. 

We should all strive to treat each other with respect. Common courtesy will open (and keep open) more doors than you might imagine. A phone call before a shoot--confirming that you are on your way or to explain why you will be delayed--is a simple thing to do, and the results of such behavior will reward you many times over. I can tell you that the models I work with over and over again exhibit this plus in their personalities.

From this, all sorts of other positive things are born, not the least of which is TRUST!  From what I read so often in these forums, we could all use alot more of that!

Thanks again!

Nov 19 05 03:53 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Just wanted to post something positive about a model, as it seems (to me anyway) that much of what goes on in this forum is photogs bitching about models and models bitching about photogs.

I had a shoot scheduled this past weekend (Nov. 12th and 13th) with a Wisconsin model (over 3 hours away from me) and our shoot was to begin around noon. I got a call from her at about noon and she hadn't left yet. At first I immediately thought "oh boy, here we go..another flake", but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and asked what was going on. Turns out that her Grandmother had a medical emergency (fairly serious but not life-threatening) and she had to get that taken care of and couldn't leave until another family member was able to take over for her.
Long story short, she showed up about 6 hours later (with a great attitude) and was perfectly willing to work as late as need be that night in order to make up for being late!
Originally, we had planned to shoot for a while on the morning of the 13th (as it turns out, we share Nov. 13 as our birthday!) as she had friends here locally where she spent the night and even though we worked quite late she was still more then willing to do that..and even stayed longer then she had planned on.
The model I am referring to is Mai Choua Lor.
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=6663
You can also see more of her at my profile.

Sometimes models are just "good people"! My hat's off to you Mai Choua! Thanks for the extra effort! You could have easily used that situation as a valid reason to just cancell....but you did what you had to do and I appreciate it.

Some will accuse me of ass-kissing here, but truly I just think this forum would be a much happier place if people could only say something positive once in a while.
Maybe others could post a recent "good experience" with a model or a photographer!?

Amen Dean...

I always try to post a comment on the MUA/Stylist/Wardrobe/Photographer's
page so that people will KNOW what great people they are to work with. I
believe it is the proper and professional thing to do.

And you are right...there are excellent photographers/models/MUAs/Stylist
that give 200% and deserve to be given the PUBLIC kudos.

Nov 19 05 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

I'm glad to see that other's enjoy hearing positive things! Thanks to all of you that replied.

Nov 20 05 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Glad you gave her the kudos, we hardly ever hear them here.

Nov 21 05 06:06 am Link

Model

ElizabethTullCurtsinger

Wichita, Kansas, US

Great to hear something positive!! Kudos to you both!

Nov 21 05 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

maybe some kind of permanent thread or forum (I mean if, "You don't need a job you've got Audrey" can get a bazillion comments***yawn***)
maybe a place to list good comments should exist, I've got a lot of great models I've worked with and I'd love a place to give 'em props, so others could, at a glance see the good ones
I've only had one flake, and I moved on, no need to hate, it's a waste of energy that I can use somewhere else

Nov 21 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Rick Edwards wrote:
maybe some kind of permanent thread or forum (I mean if, "You don't need a job you've got Audrey" can get a bazillion comments***yawn***)
maybe a place to list good comments should exist, I've got a lot of great models I've worked with and I'd love a place to give 'em props, so others could, at a glance see the good ones
I've only had one flake, and I moved on, no need to hate, it's a waste of energy that I can use somewhere else

I agree Rick! I was actually hoping that someone would suggest making a place for good comments....maybe we can get one of the mods to consider it??

Yeah, I read that "you don't need a job you've got Audrey" thread one time and to be honest I don't get it...nor do i get why so damn many people feel the need to keep that thread alive.

Nov 21 05 07:24 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

It's nice to hear positive stories in the midst of all the negative energy floating around.  Glad to hear the shoot worked out for you! smile

Nov 24 05 11:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

It's so nice to hear something positive , not every one is a flake, I have worked with alot of individuals who make it or they are kinda there I would prefer to re schedual a model or photographer if they are having a bad day week what ever than waste my time and energy for a horrible shoot. And to the model whos grandma was sick I hope she is feeling better..

Nov 24 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Nyx Valentine Photo

Aliso Viejo, California, US

Here's a good one---  Rain, or Ziocite here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=16635

She and I had put together a shoot we wanted to do (which I'll be posting today or tomorrow-just got film back).  It was one of the few days we both had off from work, so it was a -must do today- thing.  She called a few minutes before to let me know she was running a few minutes late and would be there about 12.15.  12.10 rolls up, and there she is.  She got ready to shoot quickly, and did an excellent job with her make up and hair, and we went to shoot.  She's such a great model, as will be seen once I get some stuff up- She put up with us putting her in really weird places, like the rotting Jacuzzi, and in the midst of a bunch of plants.  Put up with walking around to locations in tottering high heels and stockings.  Has a really good repetoire of poses that show her off at her best.  All in all, such a great shoot.

Yeh--I've had my flakes too.  But the good ones make up for it smile  Thanks for starting this.

Nov 24 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Good to hear a story with a happy ending...I might start doing TFP's again.
Now I must ride off into the sunset! smile

Nov 24 05 12:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Yes,  it is good to hear a positive story.

Dec 11 05 11:58 pm Link