Forums > General Industry > photographers as friends

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

as a blanket statement, photographers, in general are assh*les, suffering from terminal arrogance and cognative conceit...i dont know if it is a personality defect or if the traits are drilled into them by the art "schools" or maybe its a defense mechanism to hide or mask some deficiency...anyway...how many shooters can claim they are true friends with their photographic compadres?!?

Nov 18 05 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

BCG wrote:
...how many shooters can claim they are true friends with their photographic compadres?!?

Your assertion is so full of holes it's not even worth addressing.  As to the quoted statement, I would estimate that about half of my long-term friends are in the industry in one role or another. The number of photographers in that list is smaller than it would otherwise be because I have less of a chance to interact with photographers than I do models, art directors, make up artist, etc.  Yet I am friends with several photographers, some are among my closest friends and people I rely on both personally and professionally.  If a photographer is active in the industry, even the saturated market here in NYC, they will be surrounded by individuals in other aspects of the industry on a daily basis and have to make efforts to interact with other photographers even occasionally. 

I would suggest your post says more about you than it does about others.

Nov 18 05 06:50 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Your assertion is so full of holes it's not even worth addressing.  As to the quoted statement, I would estimate that about half of my long-term friends are in the industry in one role or another. The number of photographers in that list is smaller than it would otherwise be because I have less of a chance to interact with photographers than I do models, art directors, make up artist, etc.  Yet I am friends with several photographers, some are among my closest friends and people I rely on both personally and professionally.  If a photographer is active in the industry, even the saturated market here in NYC, they will be surrounded by individuals in other aspects of the industry on a daily basis and have to make efforts to interact with other photographers even occasionally. 

smile

Nov 18 05 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Gerry

Dan Howell wrote:

Really?  I read it as, "Ladies!  Come get naked for me - I'm "different!"

I could be wrong though, I have been before. :-)

Nov 18 05 07:05 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i am not talking about professional associates...i am talking about the dude you go out drinking with...the buddy you call when you get arrested and you need bail $$$.

as a general rule, photographers are NOT friends with photographers...we are like strippers...as a general rule, strippers are not friends with their fellow srtippers.

Nov 18 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As a blanket statement, people are assholes.  I wouldn't call most of them to bail me out.  I'd call only a select few.

Some of that select few are photographers.

Nov 18 05 07:10 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Gerry wrote:

Really?  I read it as, "Ladies!  Come get naked for me - I'm "different!"

I could be wrong though, I have been before. :-)

my stunning good looks get me "IN" with the ladies...a study of my portfolio will show that i do care to showcase nude images.

Nov 18 05 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Gerry

BCG wrote:
my stunning good looks get me "IN" with the ladies...a study of my portfolio will show that i do care to showcase nude images.

BCG wrote:
. . . . suffering from terminal arrogance and cognative conceit . . .

See, you were right Dan, and I was wrong again. lol

Nov 18 05 07:20 am Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

BCG wrote:
as a blanket statement, photographers, in general are assh*les

If you are going to censor something, wouldn't it be "ass" and not "holes?"  I thought that "ass" was the bad part of the word, and "holes" was ok.  Hmmm...

Nov 18 05 07:27 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Mandie wrote:

If you are going to censor something, wouldn't it be "ass" and not "holes?"  I thought that "ass" was the bad part of the word, and "holes" was ok.  Hmmm...

i was going to use the word "butth*les"

Nov 18 05 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

What a silly thing to say!  I'm a truly nice person and I would say that 9 out of 10 people who know me would tell you that.  I sincerely care about other people and their feelings and would help someone in an instant if they asked me and it was within my power to do so.  But, I think that this comes more from me as a person rather than me as a photographer...just my thoughts...

Nov 18 05 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

BCG wrote:

i was going to use the word "butth*les"

Oh I get it now. Wait... I'm still not sure. Is the * supposed to look like an anus?

Nov 18 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Toria wrote:
What a silly thing to say!  I'm a truly nice person and I would say that 9 out of 10 people who know me would tell you that.  I sincerely care about other people and their feelings and would help someone in an instant if they asked me and it was within my power to do so.  But, I think that this comes more from me as a person rather than me as a photographer...just my thoughts...

i am sure you are a wonderful person, i looked  at your portfolio and if you are as nice as you are talented, you bless all those that call you friend...my blanket statement was directed at the male photographers.

Nov 18 05 07:40 am Link

Model

Jenni L

Westerville, Ohio, US

Well I am not a photographer, but I know that this is a very competitive industry.  You don't want to get too close to someone that may swoop in on your lead.  We are all here for the same reason and that is to do better than the next guy.  You can't fully trust someone that is only looking out for their best interests.  I am friends with other models and photographers, but I have closer friends that would bail me out of jail.

Jenni

Nov 18 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Jenni...i would bail you out of jail.

Nov 18 05 07:47 am Link

Model

Jenni L

Westerville, Ohio, US

Aww, thanks I will keep that in mind just in case things get out of control after the OSU vs. Michigan game tomorrow. LOL

Nov 18 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Gerry

BCG wrote:
...my blanket statement was directed at the male photographers.

LOL A conditional blanket statement?  Is that like military intelligence?

Exactly how fast does that bike go in reverse?

Nov 18 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I go out of my way to meet the photographers I respect while travelling.  Many longstanding friendships have started at FoF and other online forums and many on-going conversations continue now that were first started in 1997.

Given opinions of people I don't know, and those of folks I've grown up with (photographically), the latter are worth a lot more, as they have a context.

Models - at the risk of sounding smarmy - frequently drop by to talk or shoot or eat or dump b/f problems on Uncle Don (or Dirty Uncle Don).  I don't go about trying to make friends of models, like I do photographers, but more friends is always good.

-Don

Nov 18 05 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I have been burned too many times from "Photog Friends".......I now keep a watchful distance of the ones I do network with. I guess I just got tired of the friends I had that kept bandstanding whenever we shot. Got old very fast.

Nov 18 05 08:47 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

A-holes are everywhere. I will grant you there may be a bit higher concentration in photographers just because a-holes don't work and play well with others and in some forms of photography, they don't have to. Still, I can say with confidence that I could travel to most parts of the USA and Canada and have a photographer friend within short driving distance. Some I have met and enjoyed their presence immensely.  I'm a firm believer that you get what you give in any interaction. If you are acting like an a-hole, so will those you meet.

Nov 18 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

BCG wrote:
as a blanket statement, photographers, in general are assh*les, suffering from terminal arrogance and cognative conceit...i dont know if it is a personality defect or if the traits are drilled into them by the art "schools" or maybe its a defense mechanism to hide or mask some deficiency...anyway...how many shooters can claim they are true friends with their photographic compadres?!?

What a dumb statement...just becasue I share a common profession with someone does not me with have any other common interests....personally I know of only one other photographer in Rochester that does any of the same stuff outside of work as I do....so why would I want people that I have absolutely nothing in common with as friends? 

I guess if work is your life.....??

Nov 18 05 09:05 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i had an event which required that i hire 10 profesional photographers for 4 hours...i paid everyone $100.00 an hour...supplied all the film and took care of processing...the images they took looked like three dogs humping...the digital guy whom i paid $200.00 an hour to photograph candids gave me a disk with 700(+) out of focus images...each photo station was set up and i told each shooter what to shoot at, i battled for a half an hour to get them to shoot at 125th @ f8...i later learned EVERY photographer has tried to get the same gig less than a week after the event...in the end, i talked the client into NEVER doing that EVER again.

Nov 18 05 09:06 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

ebarb wrote:

What a dumb statement...just becasue I share a common profession with someone does not me with have any other common interests....personally I know of only one other photographer in Rochester that does any of the same stuff outside of work as I do....so why would I want people that I have absolutely nothing in common with as friends? 

I guess if work is your life.....??

as the official UN Ambassador of photography, i am always on the job, 24/6

Nov 18 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

BCG wrote:
as a general rule, photographers are NOT friends with photographers...we are like strippers...as a general rule, strippers are not friends with their fellow srtippers.

This comment tells me how little you know about both photographers and strippers.  I can honestly say that I have several hundred photographers that are my friends, and YES... I'm a photographer also.  I know quite a few strippers too (two are on my MM page, but Im NOT providing names).  Many of them have fellow strippers for roommates and partying friends.  After each one of our photoshoots, we have 'after-shoot' dinner parties.  We've had well over 30 photographers together at several of the dinners.  Talk about some wildazs and majorly fun conversations... wink

Nov 18 05 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

i never went to art school and just turned 18. i'm fresh. *tsss. (yes, freshness makes that tsss sound.)

Nov 18 05 09:23 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

This comment tells me how little you know about both photographers and strippers.  I can honestly say that I have several hundred photographers that are my friends, and YES... I'm a photographer also.  I know quite a few strippers too (two are on my MM page, but Im NOT providing names).  Many of them have fellow strippers for roommates and partying friends.  After each one of our photoshoots, we have 'after-shoot' dinner parties.  We've had well over 30 photographers together at several of the dinners.  Talk about some wildazs and majorly fun conversations... wink

sounds like a photographic orgy to me!!!

Nov 18 05 09:26 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Mandie wrote:

LOL--Cute statement from a very cute model.   :-)

Nov 18 05 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Strausse Studios

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
i am not talking about professional associates...i am talking about the dude you go out drinking with...the buddy you call when you get arrested and you need bail $$$.

Don't know what rules you are playing by, but I am friends, go out to see bands, have them over for dinner and let them pay my bail money, with photographers. The difference is that I am secure with my work, as they are with theirs.

Nov 18 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
as a blanket statement, photographers, in general are assh*les, suffering from terminal arrogance and cognative conceit...

The only a-hole shooters that I have encountered were on the net, with rare exceptions in real life.

I have a whole series of colleagues I became friends with, we throw each other some work from time to time and that is really cool.

When the monitor of my laptop recently broke, one of my friends (runway and mag shooter) immediately offered me his spare 19" monitor to pick up.

An important part of my business is runway photography... and as a rule... if you are an a-hole... you won't make it... because if you are on the riser at Fashionweek, sharing a small space with over a hundred shooters... and they can't stand you because your attitude sucks... you'll be blocked and shoot from the sidelines.

If you are liked and personable... they may squeeze you in for a better spot, let you share a box to stand on etc.

Runway is where I have made most of my friends and we hang as well.

But that's probably a different breed of photographer.

Keep also in mind... that although there are tens of thousands of photographers in NY, there is virtually only a handful runway shooters. At fashionweek, if there are 120 shooters on the riser at a particular show, maybe 20 or 30 are locals, the rest are coming from all over the world and the US. So, many of those know each other for years already.

I did encounter some fashionphotographers who don't do runway who do in fact display the traits you've described. It's sometimes weird, but by far not the scope of my experience.

Udo

Nov 18 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I think it is all about self esteem and job security. Photographers who hate fellow photographers are insecure. I tag just as many photographers on there work as I do models on MM. I also have just as many photographers in my friends list as models. I have seen a few of these guys out in the field who are ego-maniacs but I think most of us are friends. If I get a message from a photographer coming to Vegas, I give him/her names of models I recommend and also places to eat and stay. So I would have to disagree with the original post. I am friends with many photographers and enjoy their work. I am also a huge fan of many photographers on this site and have no shame in telling them that.

Nov 18 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

One thing I forgot to add. Last summer I was selling my lasndscape photography at an art fair in Lake Tahoe. My main competition had some major problems and there booth was destroyed by wind. They were going to have cancel the next weeks show. I went over and let them borrow all my gear so they could do the show. And like I said....this was my main competition in that town. So I would say I am a friendly fellow photographer.

Nov 18 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Mandie wrote:

BCG wrote:
as a blanket statement, photographers, in general are assh*les

Speaking of ass, you are a smartass, Mandie. I officially love you now.

Nov 18 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

BCG wrote:

Again....you must be speaking for yourself here. I already told you about my photographers as friends. As for the strppers....I know quite a few and I can tell you....they are all friends. what world are you living in? I need to make sure I don't move there.

Nov 18 05 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

this is all based on careful and diligent research and examination over a set period of time with various test subjects in a controlled environment that takes social, political, economical and psychological factors in consideration. i assume.

Nov 18 05 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

this is all based on careful and diligent research and examination over a set period of time with various test subjects in a controlled environment that takes social, political, economical and psychological factors in consideration. i assume.

no, but as a former us army sniper, with 34 confirmed kills, i have been trained to observe the oblivious.

Nov 18 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
no, but as a former us army sniper, with 34 confirmed kills,

You shouldn't have any problems making friends in the visual arts world. You probably have just targeted the wrong photographers. big_smile

Nov 18 05 07:50 pm Link

Model

awaywiththefairies

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

LOL A conditional blanket statement?  Is that like military intelligence?

Exactly how fast does that bike go in reverse?

I can't believe noone else seemed to get that....heehee

Nov 18 05 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry

awaywiththefairies wrote:
I can't believe noone else seemed to get that....heehee

Eh, I'm used to it . . . I've gotten good at amusing myself. :-) Glad someone else got a giggle though.

Nov 18 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

You shouldn't have any problems making friends in the visual arts world. You probably have just targeted the wrong photographers. big_smile

that is why i am here.

Nov 18 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Picture This

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

BCG wrote:
... but as a former us army sniper, with 34 confirmed kills, i have been trained to observe the oblivious.

Yeah... you're oblivious. smile

The majority of my friends are professional photographers. We share equipment, tips and techniques, swap stories and leads, and network all the time. They will call me with jobs they don't want or are too busy to shoot, and I toss them jobs I can't shoot. We work together on some jobs, and hang together at clubs over beer and pretzels. I go to their houses for BBQs and send them Christmas cards.

Assholes are everywhere. If you choose to make them your friends, that's your problem.

Nov 18 05 09:15 pm Link