Forums > General Industry > God d*** it!!! Why?

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

There are a handful of wannabes, that think modeling sites are nothing but popularity contest anyways. They know they don't have any legitimate modeling skill, and they believe everything mommy and daddy and their boyfriends/girlfriends tell them that they're the next great model. Do you think a land based agency would by into this crap? No siree.

Nov 17 05 02:47 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Most people DON'T want honest critiques, no matter what they say.

Nov 17 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Eric Jackson wrote:
There are a handful of wannabes, that think modeling sites are nothing but popularity contest anyways. They know they don't have any legitimate modeling skill, and they believe everything mommy and daddy and their boyfriends/girlfriends tell them that they're the next great model. Do you think a land based agency would by into this crap? No siree.

The same exact thing can be said for photographers, too.  For the most part, photographers here take what they do seriously and shoot to the best of their abilities.  There are a number, though, that really should consider a different vocation...

Nov 17 05 03:42 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Pitaru wrote:
Can someone please explain why the hell do people go on Announcements and say Please leave honest comments and when you go and tell them what you think they email you and tell you "I killed that comment" Why the hell are you "killing that comment" if you asked for a honest opinion. I gave you a honest opinion and if you dont like what I said you just delete me? Does honest mean kissing their ass? If it is so, then I am sorry for not knowing it.

Because many people are stupid and can't handle the truth.  I have never deleted any comments or tags and I don't plan too, good or bad. 

Be truthful and don't worry if they like it or not.  It's not worth jeopardizing your integrity over someone elses self esteem issues. smile

Nov 17 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Cain

Detroit, Michigan, US

Rick Edwards wrote:

...nimbly-bimbly
lmfao
I gotta use that one
it sounds so british and upper crusty...
it even makes crude sound polite and high society
"I was doing this chick all nimbly-bimbly...."

Go rent the movie Super Troopers

Nov 17 05 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Pitaru wrote:
Can someone please explain why the hell do people go on Announcements and say Please leave honest comments and when you go and tell them what you think they email you and tell you "I killed that comment"

People lie, OK?

-D

Nov 17 05 05:57 pm Link

Model

May-Lu

Austin, Indiana, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

People lie, OK?

-D

Really?  They do?  And to think that I believed what they told me....  sigh*  I guess I won't be the next Top Model?  LOL

May ^_^

Nov 17 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rx wrote:

Those people are lame attention whores.

I love it.

Nov 17 05 06:08 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nerlande wrote:
Stroke an ego, gain a friend.

Also very true. I don't lie, but I up positive comments if the avatar looks promising and if the work looks good enlarged. If the avatar sucks...fugaddaboudit

Nov 17 05 06:09 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

H. Robert Holmes wrote:

WOW!  How did you discover that?  big_smile

lol. I am too lazy to do that. Maybe that is why no one is looking at my pics?

Nov 17 05 06:11 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

People lie, OK?

-D

Nov 17 05 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

Lapis wrote:

lol. I am too lazy to do that. Maybe that is why no one is looking at my pics?

I look! I like!  The time exposures with Mark are interesting!

Nov 17 05 09:42 pm Link

Model

ashleyxo

Vista, California, US

Eric Cain wrote:

Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?

HAHAHAHAH SUPER TROOPERS!!!!!!

Nov 18 05 01:47 am Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

I think that most of these site are just for people that want to hear good feedback,  there are other sites that offer real critiques and they have a different level of photography being presented.  I do get asked on occasion in an email to tell someone what I think of there work and I respect that so I usually try to give them an honest opinion, but I much prefer to do it on a phone so I can more fully express what I want to say, email is very impersonal and time limits the volume of what you want to express somewhat. 
I do not think open critiques are very useful in that most people sugarcoat even the bad ones to not appear like an a$$, when some people need to hear true statements of opinion, and it should be expressed as just that not good or bad just opinion.  Another problem I have with critiquing an image is I may not know the intent when shooting it.  Someone emails me an image backlit with harsh shadows all over the face in generally unpleasant places,  and asks is this a good image?  maybe I like it or maybe not But in order to better answer the question I need to know what were they trying for?  if they were trying to shoot clean airy beauty shot well lit then it is horrible, if they were going for dark and moody it may be exactly what they wanted and whether or not I liked it personally has nothing to do with if it was good or bad or if they did a good job capturing the mood they were after.

Hoope this makes some sense its 3 am and I have been looking at a computer screen since 6am yesterday. 

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Nov 18 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Just do this - if someone asks for comments on their pictures, and the photos are horrible but you don't want to write anything negative, just leave comments like these:

"How 'bout those Knicks!"
"I can't WAIT for the new Harry Potter movie!"
"Jennifer Anniston was fantastic in Derailed!"
"Did you watch Lost last night?  Awesome!"
"Wow, the weather is looking beautiful!"

We can turn these phrases into code even...

Nov 18 05 10:05 am Link

Model

Steve Hayward

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

I'm not adding any comments to this post...I just like the waving kitty smile

Nov 18 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
I think that most of these site are just for people that want to hear good feedback,  there are other sites that offer real critiques and they have a different level of photography being presented. 

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

I'm interested...  Which other sites?

Nov 18 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
People lie, OK?

I don't believe you!

GWC!

Nov 18 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Richard theFriendly guy

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

It's like "I don't wanna know you but give me a comment"Nothing wrong with that it is just good old modern day instant gratification with no reciprocal responsibility.Hey,generation gap.It ain't new.

Nov 18 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Edo Tsoar

CANOGA PARK, California, US

I have yet to see a thumbs down comment on any image on MM.  Even the most snapshot looking, point and shoot bad photography gets rave reviews.  For many it has become more about collecting as many "tags" and "Friends" as possible.

Nov 18 05 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus Caruso

Chicago, Illinois, US

Gary Davis wrote:
Yes, it does.  Apology accepted.  tongue
https://home.san.rr.com/gdp/smallWavingKittie.gif

CUTE KITTY!

Personally, I don't give a flying fornication either way.  If I like what I've shot, that's all that counts.

Nov 20 05 10:55 pm Link

Model

Chris Winters

West Hollywood, California, US

i dont care myself. popularity contest isnt what i need. respect for my art is very much appreciated.

but... if someon leaves a comment saying "I sUcK! aLl yOur WorK suCks!"--- Ill still keep it there.

whY?

because that person left it.

Nov 22 05 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

How can you improve as a photographer if you float through comfortably numb to any downfalls? I'd like to think i'm the greatest photographer on the planet. Unfortunately that will never be true. I wouldn't even want to think i'm a good photog if it's undeserved. It always stings a bit when you have a shot that you think is great, then someone comes along and points out something they don't like about it. Sometimes you'll agree, sometimes you won't. Sometimes peeps will give you kudos and you'll disagree. But it's no pain no gain, ya know?

I'd like to invite everyone over and give me some abuse to help me grow.

Nov 23 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

I have a major problem with that too. I realized that most people forget the meaning of words. By saying honest, they expect people to be nice and flattering. They're so confident that they won't get any critique that they get so offended when they actually get some.
So people, if you don't want to hear it, don't say "be honest." Honesty means saying what you really think, and do you really want to hear that? If you do, i give you my respects. Hearing that stuff helps you grow, and you shouldn't take it personally.

So back to my original message, don't say something if you don't mean it. Lets remember that words have meanings behind them.

Nov 25 05 11:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I compleasely understang I have a post going on about the same thing I guess alot of pepole are to sensitive to read on a computer screen that someone doent like their stuff what are these ppl like in person? I wonder how they act on set? and do they cry?

Nov 25 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I wonder how they act on set? and do they cry?

i doubt they cry. they probably get all cocky and tell you how crappy and wrong you are. then they shove that stick further up their asses.

Nov 26 05 02:26 pm Link