Forums > General Industry > Any advice on how to find interesting locations?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Most of the time, I make fine art nude photographs in my home -- I push the furniture out of the living room & set up the studio lights.  Occasionally, I just make pictures in my house, but in the winter, it's just too dark for photography.

I have rarely packed everything up and have gone on location (see my portfolio for an example).  I do enjoy this -- it's a break from my normal routine.

The challenge -- how the heck do you find interesting locations?  My requirements:
   o  I make nude photographs, so I need privacy & heat.
   o  I require interesting light & angles & furnishings.
   o  I prefer to work with natural light.
   o  My sittings typically last three hours, but I can be flexible.
   o  Free to very cheap.
   o  Not too far away.  (Good thing I live in the middle of a city).

So, any hints on how I can find good locations?

Nov 15 05 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Images By Amber

San Diego, California, US

You live in oregon!!!!! I've only been to portland once but i saw tons of places you could shoot! just go for a drive and look around...try in see nice spots that go deeper out where it wouldn't be visible to the eye :] you have to explore to find places like that! good luck! (p.s. i got so light headed from being there, your air is so fresh..not use to it. lmao)

Nov 15 05 10:13 am Link

Photographer

OughtToBeShot

Greenport, New York, US

Looknsee... I have the same problem.  Always looking for places and everyone I shoot says "my place wouldn't be good" but they are usually wrong.  Sometimes it works out to shoot in someones home or apartment.

Nov 15 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

You might try lettnig your location dictate your shots a bit. Could shake things up a little to be forced to work with what you got.

I wish I could help... I just have to comment on you photograpic talent.

You sure to know how to shoot!

Nov 15 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Yulia rocks! smile

The thread question has bugged me for a long time, and I have no good answers for it but have gotten a glimpse into "location appreciation" and ways and means.  Some notes:

--If you find a great public or private location for shooting, do make the most of it.  The corner that attracts you may turn out to be one of quite a few, and guaranteed: looks change with the seasons.

--Money talks and it won't hurt to maintain relationships with a few realtors: a while ago, I visited an indie film production located in house left empty between owners.  The producer asked for and got three days in a built space that he could dress, host a crew, and direct sequences.  I don't know who did the permitting or what it cost, but the shooting was very low budget.  I'd bet the guy paid more in sweat equity than cash for use of the place.

--I had a "right of passage" agreement to shoot as I would please on five acres owned by a bar buddy.  Only this past year, between the buddy's new girlfriend and suburban encirclement by a large community of hiking and hunting southern Baptists, did we have to curtail the option of shooting (at will and in any which way) on his land.  Lesson learned: cultivate more bar buddies! smile

--A couple acquaintances involved in photography have offered home space.  There's a politics to that in that everyone wants something, but intramural cooperation looks like an option.

If you own a home and can dedicate one space as a set and another as a workshop and warehouse, there may be some things you can do with that too.  Best advice: make the most of what you've got and network like hell!

Nov 15 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I say drive around your city/town, look at the back alleys and little hide-a-way spots, see if you can do something magical with them. Somewhere where you can shoot and not be disturbed.

Nov 16 05 06:22 am Link

Photographer

artphotodude

Cathedral City, California, US

Great locations are often small areas.  Many times, they also are not visible at eye-level (try crouching).  Portland is tough, because there is an odd climate of psuedo-proprioty, so you don't want to get caught, and outside of town, one tree looks much like another.  I personally would recommend the large skate plaza underneeth the bridge (massive, concrete with smooth walls).  You might not be able to get tons of shots before the skaters start showing up, but an excellent spot for some gorilla photography on an early Sunday morning - might want the model to bring someone along to be lookout.

Nov 16 05 06:44 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

This is so simple.  Drive to a location and then get out of the car and start looking.
Go away from the road,  Walk until you cannot see the road and then walk away somemore.  Once you cannot hear a car drive past then start looking for some good locations.

I have been doing this for over 25 years.  Sure you have to spend a little time looking but if you never get out of the car you willl never find anything you  really want to shoot.

https://bwonly.homestead.com/files/F_CORONA_ARCH.jpg

Nov 16 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

PhotoBob

San Antonio, Texas, US

OK your home is too dark, Portland is too cold for a 3 hr outdoor session in the winter, you need privacy and heat, you want interesting angles and furnishings, you want natural light, and best free to cheap. 
  Not hard at all, find some friends that will let you use a place that they have invested all that time and money to get just right for you.  Second option would be to rent a studio and bring what you want. 
  Seriously, you want someone to provide this place for you to use at your whim that meets all of your requirements for free to cheap?  Hope you have some good friends. smile

Bob

Nov 16 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

wirehead arts

Sunnyvale, California, US

Google earth is a great way to figure out where to walk.

Nov 16 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

bobby sargent wrote:
This is so simple.  Drive to a location and then get out of the car and start looking.
Go away from the road,  Walk until you cannot see the road and then walk away somemore.  Once you cannot hear a car drive past then start looking for some good locations.

I have been doing this for over 25 years.  Sure you have to spend a little time looking but if you never get out of the car you willl never find anything you  really want to shoot.

Absolutely correct!  You have to invest some time!  And sometimes just walking around a corner or arround the next bend in the path is when you find places that you never could have imagined existed!

Portland is also close to that incredibly fine Oregon coast!  Plenty of good spots there among the rocks!

Nov 16 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Guys -- I'm thinking about indoor settings.  It's cold outside.

Nov 16 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Not from Ogegon I would just suggest you get in the car and use what your name implies...go out and LOOK N SEE what you can find! smile

Nov 16 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Part of the fun about being a photographer is going on rooooooooooooooadtriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip.

You might surprise yourself.

Nov 16 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Cultivate any contractor buddies you might have.

Half finished or near finished construction sites can fit your bill - especially a nearly finished 4 or 5 story office complex.   Have a chat with the foreman - Have 2 dozen donuts dropped off at the site - by a model only wearing high heels.

You can then use the site at off times - to your hearts content - until the first tenants move in (Tenants can even be delayed for a few extra weeks if you still need to use the building). You will be a legend in the construction world  - and your favor will be cultivated from many project locations and foremen.  Heavy equipment costing millions of dollars will be moved to frame your shots if you need.  LOL

Actually, I'm serious about the contractor part - they may get you quiet access to many places if they can be trusted - and feel like they are "part of the team"

Nov 16 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

bobby sargent wrote:

Bingo! You have to get out of the car. When I drive around looking for locations I find nothing...when I get out of my car and walk a few blocks I come up with stuff pretty quickly!

Nov 16 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

...also use incentives. try to negotiate/coerce someone to give you access to a space you like which they control. offer to give them a print from the shoot. if you are dealing with men, the idea of getting a free photo of nude a woman in a location they inhabit is like gold. "Yep...there was a naked chick not two feet from where you're standing, Bob. Cool ain't it?"

i'm only half kidding. offering a print in exchange for use of an office space, a boiler room, vacant apartment, whatever--is a thrill for most people whose primary contact with anything like that is in a magazine. prints are currency in more situations than you can imagine--and a quality print of a nice image certainly carries a lot of weight for both men and women. looking at your work i think they would find that more than adequate reimbursment.

Nov 16 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

The best way to find interesting locations is to find really boring locations.

Then go to the places that are left.

Nov 16 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've got one that someone I knew used.  Make some flyers with your
name and web address of your photography and phone number.
Explain that you are a art photographer looking to shoot figure
studies in intresting homes and places.  Then place them at
cool looking homes you pass by.  You may get a few angry calls
but he got to shoot at some very cool places.  Some people
have a artistic side and are very nice.

Nov 16 05 03:21 pm Link