Forums > General Industry > Are agencies a threat?

Model

Drew

I've been on MM for awhile now, got a few things here and there, it's been a blast.

BUT! I've never gotten a job through MySpace or really planned to, but an agency based out of Ohio contacted me the other day THROUGH MySpace and basically wanted to sign me.  I'm really hesitant, I've never joined an agency, and didn't plan to so quickly, especially through MySpace.  Is signing with an agency something you should be extremely cautious about?  (I know I should be somewhat cautious when I'm signing a document)

I know I'll be asked for the websites/company name.  I realize this may not be the place to ask, but I really don't know a lot about agencies and was hoping you guys could help me out. 

www.OneModelPlace.com/TEPhotosByNick
www.totalexxcellence.com
www.totalexxcellence.net 

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Nov 11 05 09:27 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

There is a difference between agencies and sluggos.  Learn those differences or find yourself going nowhere fast.

Nov 11 05 09:32 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

area291 wrote:
There is a difference between agencies and sluggos.  Learn those differences or find yourself going nowhere fast.

Bingo, real agencies, and by real I mean the mainstream, grounded companies rather than a webstie and a dream are the backbone of the entertainment industry.  95% (or perhaps more) of the substantitive bookings in acting or modeling end up coming through a reputable agency.

Learn to tell the difference between the real and the unreal and you will understand the industry much better.

Nov 11 05 10:36 am Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I would say yes, be very careful when it comes to signing with an agency.  Make sure you fully understand what you are getting into and that it is what you want.

I would not accept their offer.

Nov 11 05 11:15 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Nov 11 05 11:53 am Link

Photographer

jen_fellows

Encinitas, California, US

why not go to some legit agencies in Chicago and see if you can get signed? 
Here's a good list: http://clothingmodel.com/Model_Agency/A … linois.htm

A real agent won't ask for money upfront from you because they will make money off of your bookings.  They won't sign you unless they think they can book you for jobs.  Don't waste your time and money on internet agents.  bad news.  just my two cents.

Nov 11 05 12:01 pm Link

Model

Drew

Thanks for the answers guys. 

It was appreciated.

Nov 11 05 02:41 pm Link

Model

SarahSVET

Los Angeles, California, US

thats not a real agency..real agencies dont have OMP profiles...

Nov 11 05 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

A 5'8 male model isn't going to have very many opportunities with legit agencies, but if you are going to work at all then you need to be near the market you're trying to work in. Luckily for you you're in one of the top two commercial markets in the country so see if there are any commercial or "real people" agencies in chicago that might be interested. You might be able to pull off some teen work since you look pretty young and your height would be better for that and you might be able to do certain other commercial/lifestyle work (including stock) now and then, and certainly TV commercials if you're good on camera. Forget bullshit agencies and forget Ohio when you're in Chicago (for the most part)

And work on getting more commercial/lifestyle work in your book and less fashion-y I wanna be Calvin Kline-y stuff...

Nov 11 05 03:12 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

The solid legit agencies in Ohio are Heyman Talent and CAM Talent. They book a MAJORITY of the work in the state. Then there are a couple of middle ground and the rest are also-rans and scams.

Nov 11 05 05:05 pm Link