Forums > General Industry > Thinking of dumping my OMP membership

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

How many of you have paid memberships on OMP and are thinking of dumping them?  I just don't see the value in their site anymore.  MM seems to have a lot of the same functionality.  Sure there are some features that could be nicer, but the price is right and the people seem friendlier here.

Kurt

Nov 11 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:
How many of you have paid memberships on OMP and are thinking of dumping them?  I just don't see the value in their site anymore.  MM seems to have a lot of the same functionality.  Sure there are some features that could be nicer, but the price is right and the people seem friendlier here.

Kurt

I have a platinum membership and plan on keeping it. As for people being nicer here, I actually don`t see this as a nicer place necessarily, just a different space on the net.

There is also a much smaller membership base. Once MM gets more popular and gets as many members as OMP has you will see more and more bad apples and such. Its just the "law of averages".I do see a lot less "flaming/put downs" from member to member on the message boards over there and I definitely see lots more professionalism and tact from the MODS over there. Mainly because professionalism is insisted on there, while talking smack is encouraged here and stated so on front of the site. There are a lot of features that OMP has that are not on here and probably will not be.
Once the site goes to paid memberships, which to me is NOT a bad thing as some people seem to think I am saying when I mention paid memberships happening here eventually, you will see that actually this place will not be much different if at all than OMP because if they want to keep things alive and running here they will have to allow the people in that they are trying their best to keep out.

Nov 11 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

uh-oh....wink

Nov 11 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

BLoPhoto wrote:
uh-oh....wink

lol

Nov 11 05 12:17 am Link

Model

club Jeska

Riverside, California, US

i actually get a ton of serious offers from omp its cool to have mm too though its just more person smile

Nov 11 05 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I have a platinum membership and plan on keeping it. As for people being nicer here, I actually don`t see this as a nicer place necessarily, just a different space on the net.

There is also a much smaller membership base. Once MM gets more popular and gets as many members as OMP has you will see more and more bad apples and such. Its just the "law of averages".I do see a lot less "flaming/put downs" from member to member on the message boards over there and I definitely see lots more professionalism and tact from the MODS over there. Mainly because professionalism is insisted on there, while talking smack is encouraged here and stated so on front of the site. There are a lot of features that OMP has that are not on here and probably will not be.
Once the site goes to paid memberships, which to me is NOT a bad thing as some people seem to think I am saying when I mention paid memberships happening here eventually, you will see that actually this place will not be much different if at all than OMP because if they want to keep things alive and running here they will have to allow the people in that they are trying their best to keep out.

I agree with everything you said! Just like you, I've got a platinum membership on OMP and intend to keep it until I've got my website launched.  Even then I might still keep it on the "free" account level ... every little bit of promotion helps!

Nov 11 05 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

My success rate in the Colorado market has been poor on OMP.  On the other hand I have had immediate success from MM.  Maybe it was luck of the draw.  I feel as if OMP has been a waste of money so far.  I think with the right marketing and better search capabilities this site has some real potential.  Hopefully they will implement a disaster recovery site when they go to a paid site.  OMP was down for days when they were struck by the hurricane.  Being the professional site they are, I wonder if they will pro-rate their monthly fee because of it?

Kurt

Nov 11 05 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Well, I'm not a paying member (never have been), but earlier this year I got a notice from OMP that my paid membership was past due by x-many days.  I did a quick calculation and came up with my being 104 years past due!  Finally they droped me, now- what have I lost??
Dudley
(ex OMP #18041 member)

Nov 11 05 12:25 am Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I started Modeling 6 years ago....OMP and MM were both not around.  I was getting all my work off the local Chicago Modeling Boards on the net.

OMP and MM both have their advantages, and omp was a pioneer with the online portfolio thing  - which at the time, was more convenient than posting individual messages on forums every night and sending photos thru email.

But MM is working out for me much better business wise so I'm staying here.

Nov 11 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

mine went 2 months ago, became as useful as ice on wings, with some of the ""talent"" joining up. also a huge amount of unanswered email was the largest prob, second only to  the dormant accts, a more reasonable cost would also have helped.

Nov 11 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I agree with everything you said! Just like you, I've got a platinum membership on OMP and intend to keep it until I've got my website launched.  Even then I might still keep it on the "free" account level ... every little bit of promotion helps!

My new site is almost finished and considering the cost of it for a year, I will keep it and use it as another form of advertising and finding models and work.

Nov 11 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:
My success rate in the Colorado market has been poor on OMP.  On the other hand I have had immediate success from MM.  Maybe it was luck of the draw.  I feel as if OMP has been a waste of money so far.  I think with the right marketing and better search capabilities this site has some real potential.  Hopefully they will implement a disaster recovery site when they go to a paid site.  OMP was down for days when they were struck by the hurricane.  Being the professional site they are, I wonder if they will pro-rate their monthly fee because of it?

Kurt

They were in the middle of doing the down time prevention plan when the hurricane hit as they were doing it. They were moving stuff over to other servers, in another state I believe, to use as a backup. I also believe your success rate depends on how you get yourself seen on there.There are many things you need to do, such as update your portfolio on there as often as possible, even if it is just adding one more shot now and then. Being that OMP is a LOT larger than MM and has tons more members, you have to work harder to get yourself seen on OMP.But it is worth the time.

Nov 11 05 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

I should of mentioned I built my own website.  I also get very high hits on yahoo, google and msn search for locals looking for a photographer.  This all diminishes the need for omp.  MM is working out great for model searches.

Kurt

Nov 11 05 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Gerry

jeskavardinski wrote:
i actually get a ton of serious offers from omp its cool to have mm too though its just more person smile

I agree, more personal here (though very crude and frustrating at times).  However, I have gotten quite a few paid gigs from OMP and only requests to TFP or "will you pay me for TFP?" type offers here.

Nov 11 05 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Gerry wrote:

"will you pay me for TFP?"

Ive gotten that question a few times. I dont know why but it seems to make my brain twitch.lol

Nov 11 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Ive gotten that question a few times. I dont know why but it seems to make my brain twitch.lol

yep i have had that question as well, NO.

Nov 11 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

I will keep my NON free 10 dollar port just for the travel notices. omp 31135  HINT for mm include a travel notice lol

Nov 11 05 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

You know how OMP has those "Shut Up and Model" t-shirts.  I think MM needs to come up with their own t-shirt.  What do you guys think?

Kurt

Nov 11 05 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:
You know how OMP has those "Shut Up and Model" t-shirts.  I think MM needs to come up with their own t-shirt.  What do you guys think?

Kurt

MM has had an ongoing contest for the design for the logo, slogans and such for t shirts and other things since it started.

Nov 11 05 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:
You know how omp has those "Shut Up and Model" t-shirts.  I think MM needs to come up with their own t-shirt.  What do you guys think?

Kurt

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=16345

Oh, and a quick reminder--no bashing other portfolio sites.  This has been pretty good so far, but it's tempting to do so.  If it comes to that, this thread will be locked.  Discussion is cool, but bashing is a no-no.

BD, MM Moderator

Nov 11 05 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Gerry

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

Kurt

I dunno . . . I thought it was kinda cool when OMP sent me a t-shirt, pencils, decals, and other stuff for free.  I know it's not really that important, but it did make feel of some value to them.

I think if MM had a pay-for-more-shots option that would be great though.

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

MM has had an ongoing contest for the design for the logo, slogans and such for t shirts and other things since it started.

So where are the t-shirts?

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

So where are the t-shirts?

We are waiting for Tyler to pick slogans and designs out of what was submitted. He says he already found a good deal on the shirt printing and such.

Nov 11 05 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Denver Glamour

Tampa, Florida, US

Outstanding!!!

Nov 11 05 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Steve Cain

Irvine, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Uhh...like totally, don't you guys get it? It means Time For Pay, K? LOL

Nov 11 05 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Gerry

Artisan Exposure wrote:

Uhh...like totally, don't you guys get it? It means Time For Pay, K? LOL

I had one think it meant "Taken For Practice" . . . said her uncle told her that. lol

Nov 11 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

Kurt

A couple of years ago OMP was a fairly good source of talent for me, but this year I think I’ve hooked up with maybe two models off of the site.  Too many damn restrictions as well.  I’m in at the Bronze level, so $10 a year works out to about 3 cents a day.  I guess that’s about what it’s worth to me.tongue     

For professionals, OMP is probably an effective resource, but not for me.  If things don’t improve there, I may not renew.  In my location (Hawaii) the modeling scene isn’t exactly buzzing.  While MM isn’t a very good source for talent either, I do enjoy the forums.  I cringe when I see the same bogus models from OMP show up here. yikes

Nov 11 05 03:59 am Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

Kurt Fehlhauer wrote:

Kurt

I'm always checking out talent in my area, for networking. The ones with webcams/nudes/non-nudes seem to always get higher acknowledgements than the people like me who have  a portfolio tkane by real photographers? Why I always think about down grading my port. But I guess 9.95 a month aint bad.

Nov 11 05 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Chris Oakley

Cocoa, Florida, US

egyptmachine wrote:
I'm always checking out talent in my area, for networking. The ones with webcams/nudes/non-nudes seem to always get higher acknowledgements than the people like me who have  a portfolio tkane by real photographers? Why I always think about down grading my port. But I guess 9.95 a month aint bad.

the sad truth is if you do nudes you will always have more people looking at your site than someone doing fashion or casual.. i have been a member for over 3 years at omp.. and was basically told that i stupd of keeping my account while everyone was deleting theres and moving over here.. i see the benifits of mm, but i doubt it has a 1/10th of the traffic omp does.. plus we have no way of knowing even if we are being seen or looked at here besides the comments and friend requests.. we def need a counter of some sort.. if you have a bronze level on omp.. dont complain photog's and everyone else its only 10 bucks a year.. i am sorry you cant run a webpage at that rate.. have some common sense and use all the modeling sites to market and also advertise your business..

chris

chris

Nov 11 05 05:31 am Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

I have a silver membership on there and I'm keeping it up, because I get a lot more work there. There's also a lot less flaming/put downs on their forums.
A lot of photographers who found me on OMP that I'm scheduled to work with have never even heard of MM.

Still love MM though. But I'm keeping my OMP silver membership.

Nov 11 05 07:40 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I got rid of mine a long time ago.  I never liked omp and did not see a reason to stay.. MM rules...

Mike

Nov 11 05 07:49 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

It is good to see that we don't keep bringing this topic up over and over again.

Nov 11 05 07:50 am Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I have a platinum membership at OMP that I'll keep. Out of the paying gigs I had last month, 75% of them I found via OMP, or at least made contact with the agency via OMP. I have never gotten a paying gig off of any of the other portfolio sites. So, I pay for OMP because I essentially get paid back for it.

I have free memberships on a number of other sites, as well, just so I can make contact with photogs, MUAs, etc. who may not want to pay the $10 for an OMP site basic non-model membership.
Those are:
MM
net-model.com,
garageglamour.com,
musecube.com,
modelattic.com
verifiedmodels.com
perfectpose.com.

Nov 11 05 07:59 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I get a TON more paid work through OMP. I'll keep it.

Nov 11 05 08:37 am Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I like this site a lot, but I have NEVER received any offers from anyone here.  Well, I should say a lot of people I have worked with have both OMP and MM accounts, but I have always been contacted through OMP.  WHich is odd, considering the type of modelling I am interested in.

Nov 11 05 08:58 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

splashswim

Cocoa Beach, Florida, US

All these sites need to broken up into two main categories ...

1- Those that are primarily that list people so they can find each other ...

2- Those that offer a portfolio where you can showcase your work, like you would if you had a website of your own ...

Usually if their mission is #1, they offer free accounts and then get 100,000+ people many of whom are not really models or photographers or are fake

If their mission is #2, then you usually don't see the 100,000+ members ...

The best solution is for people to get themselves on as many modeling sites as they can find, specially if they offer free accounts, since it can only help you bring more traffic, and then to get yourself your own website and domain name to point people too.

Nov 11 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

I have a Silver membership with OMP . I may just keep it as a basic $10.00/yr membership for now  when I renew next month. I like MM!

Nov 11 05 09:13 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I get a TON more paid work through OMP. I'll keep it.

Yea BOSS MODEL but now you have me.  See you in Feb.  bs

Nov 11 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I got rid of my membership years ago. I never had much luck with models returning emails.

But now I am seeing more models on MM  NOT RETURNING EMAILS either. 

I find it funny.  I talk to a model about a job and work. Then I do not hear back from her for 3 months.  So I give the job to another model.  Then the first model gets mad at me.  So what are you gonna do?  bs

Nov 11 05 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

I have my Platinum membership with OMP. (#8882) It is still usefull. I know a few photographers who prefer OMP for start up models paying for portfolio shots. MM is more about the doing it for art and for both Model and photographer to build their book with TFP shots.

Personally each site has it's good point and bad points. Competition is a healthy thing. I am hoping MM goes pay so that I can get more profile images up. Not that I have updated in the last 5 months. smile

Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Nov 11 05 01:54 pm Link