Forums > General Industry > no-show models...any thoughts

Photographer

cookie monster

Alamo Heights, Texas, US

Thomas B wrote:

Give me a break......if a business screws you over what do you do? Well maybe you sit back and take it. I file a report with the BBB. Doing these kind of things warns and protects other people for dealing with flakes and people who conduct business in a crappy way. We can agree to disagree. This business if full of flaky models and photographers. In my opinion they all need to go away and do something else for a living. And the only way for me and my fellow MM'ers to know who these people are, is to report them. If the model or photographer has a legit reason for not showing or calling like death in the family or car broke down.....fine. It is a one time thing and it happens to everyone. But if you start seeing reports of the same name over and over and find that they are attending funerals twice a week.........chances are good that this person is a flake and needs to go waste someone else's time. I love everyone I have worked with on this site and I would like to help keep it clear of the bad apples. Too bad you are not willing to do the same.

I won't be part of blacklisting a young womans reputation. All the revenues combined that this forum contributes/generates does not justify blackballing one woman. Clients not showing is a variable in the equation that must be accepted. I doubt any one model is responsible for the financial doom of ANY shooter.

Nov 10 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Lee-Bonaventure

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
I tried to form an opinion, but it didn't show up.

I tried to form an opinion, but the neighbor kids ran across it before it had hardened.

Nov 10 05 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

The way I deal with these is I just have a policy that I do NOT reschedule.  If a model flakes or last minute cancels- there is no reschedule- and few exceptions.  The one exception being is a model that I have already worked with and has a good reason OR if it were a paid job- a paying client who leaves a non refundeable deposit.

A TFP first time model who flakes (no matter what the reason) does not get rescheduled.

Nov 10 05 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:
The way I deal with these is I just have a policy that I do NOT reschedule.  If a model flakes or last minute cancels- there is no reschedule- and few exceptions.  The one exception being is a model that I have already worked with and has a good reason OR if it were a paid job- a paying client who leaves a non refundeable deposit.

A TFP first time model who flakes (no matter what the reason) does not get rescheduled.

Amen...........I use to worry about no shows alot and now I just dont care cause I am purposely 15 minutes late to a shoot to make sure the model is there or called before I leave the house. If they dont show well then thats another model I dont have to edit images and not much time is wasted

I dont reschedule with models that no show or give stupid lame excuses.

Nov 10 05 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

arno wrote:
I wish i could say this was a first for me....I had a trip with a shoot planned as part of it, so i brought extra gear, lights, etc. I had spoken  with the model to confirm the day before, and then....no show....calls ignored....

Is there value in outing this model (probably not....)?

But in any case, it is JUST BAD MANNERS.

ok, I feel better now.

Were you going to pay her?

Nov 10 05 10:53 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Send 'em a bill.

Nov 10 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Moraxian wrote:
We tend to remember people in a collective by the jerks who are part of the collective.  Just how humans are programmed.

There is a saying that it takes many "atta-boys" to make up for one "uh oh!".

Nov 10 05 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I had a bad experience with a no-show model that I unwisely re-scheduled and shot with.

A few hours after the missed appointment, I received a very appologetic e-mail offering a medical-type excuse. The night before the re-scheduled shoot, I received a call advising of another medical issue, but that we could probably still shoot tomorrow.

The shoot seemed to go well, but a few days later all heck broke loose. I was accused of pressuring her into re-shooting, and that she felt she had no choice.

The point I am trying to make is that no-shows are sometimes a model's attempt to cancel the shoot in an indirect matter. Therefore, it is best to move on as others have suggested, as the relationship is doomed to failure if pursued further. Even if they are appologtic or act eager to re-shoot, it may be motivated by guilt over their earlier activity and feeling that they owe!

Nov 10 05 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I have absolutely no problem listing no-call no-shows.
http://onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=4500

Just to avoid any chance of problems that's all I would say about them.

Nov 12 05 02:40 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I have never had a model not show up for any of my Traveling Photo trip shoots.  EVER.

Now I have had a few who do not want to work much once they get there but they always show up.

I have had a few no shows who want to come to Dallas and shoot and get to know each other. 

And way to many GRANDMOTHERS die as the model is on the way to Dallas.  BS

Nov 12 05 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

bobby sargent wrote:
Well I have never had a model not show up for any of my Traveling Photo trip shoots.  EVER.

And way to many GRANDMOTHERS die as the model is on the way to Dallas.  BS

Me either when I travel, because I get a deposit first.
lol @ dead grandmothers.

You know... As a testament of strength or insanity by me. The day I buried my GF I shot two traveling models later in the day who had booked with me 2 weeks prior to her passing.

*shrugs shoulders*

Nov 12 05 07:41 am Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:

You've not made any money yet? You should be making money girl...you are beautiful and if I paid models as a general practice I'd hire you! . Go get an agency!
Don't rely on the web .....

Got that right, Elle is far too beautiful to not be making money at this!!!

Nov 12 05 07:53 am Link

Photographer

matt h

Oakland, California, US

Thank you all for your helpful thoughts, and I would like to out one model.

Iona Lynn (see post above)!

has been absolutely reliable and hardworking and fun to work with. book her!

-matt

Nov 12 05 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

dms graphix

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks to whomever for the http://www.theibl.com link.  Not that I plan to post anything on it.

I've reviewed my calender for the past few months and have found that roughly half of all TFPs have been no-shows.  Is that number high?  Quite a few had been first to contact me and seemed very enthusiastic about the shoot.

I think a good thread would be "What are the best/worst/lamest" excuses you've heard for no show?  Mine range from relative died, my stomach hurts, I got acne overnight, the car died, started new job and even doggie is sick.  One replied a day before she just found out she had pneumonia.  Of course, any of them could be true and I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt ... but come on!  Can't anyone just say they changed their mind?  At least some actually let you know they won't show, whereas too many just disappear, never to be heard from again.  Could be biased, but I think the number of models flaking out is way higher than the number of photographers.  On the other hand, I've heard of photographers not paying or delivering.

Nov 12 05 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Dave S wrote:
Thanks to whomever for the http://www.theibl.com link.  Not that I plan to post anything on it.

I've reviewed my calender for the past few months and have found that roughly half of all TFPs have been no-shows.  Is that number high?  Quite a few had been first to contact me and seemed very enthusiastic about the shoot.

I think a good thread would be "What are the best/worst/lamest" excuses you've heard for no show?  Mine range from relative died, my stomach hurts, I got acne overnight, the car died, started new job and even doggie is sick.  One replied a day before she just found out she had pneumonia.  Of course, any of them could be true and I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt ... but come on!  Can't anyone just say they changed their mind?  At least some actually let you know they won't show, whereas too many just disappear, never to be heard from again.  Could be biased, but I think the number of models flaking out is way higher than the number of photographers.  On the other hand, I've heard of photographers not paying or delivering.

I also like to give the benefit of doubt but I swear that this business has the highest rate of funerals that I have ever heard of.

Nov 12 05 06:09 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Pitaru wrote:
You know what is even funnier? I had several problems like this and I got upset one day and I put their name and MM number on my page. Guess what, they were outraged!!!! How do I dare to blacklist them...they called me nasty names and all. I have tried to explain that it is rather unprofessional to do such thing and in return they said I am a crybaby and immature...what do you think about this?

Pitaru!
I think everyone agrees that there ARE unavoidables and ERs in everyone's life...BUT....(overslept, tired, boy/girlfriend ticked, got a better offer this morning, no gas, hungover, drunk, no money, not enough pay, & forgot...are NOT acceptable LAST minute cancel reasons).

And NO-SHOW...NO-CALL are NEVER acceptable...NOT EVER!

I think PROFESSIONAL-minded models and photographers would be well served if they DID post the NO-SHOW, & NO-CALLS...it would save EVERYONE time, money, & aggravation. And the flakes would quickly disappear off the radar screen.

And no, Pitaru you were NOT harsh...

The reality is ONE no-show no-call no-excuse will get your contract pulled, torn to shreds, and tossed in the trash, as well see that you are blacklisted with other agencies, corporations, & potential future clients in the industry...period.

Nov 12 05 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i  have had this experience recently and at a large cost to DMP, but have also recently changed both my thoughts and approach to this problem, i now book  very carefully , and line up at least one other model for the shoot, plan on doing a two model shoot, gives you a 50 percent success rate almost everytime, but hey my last shoot, two models nami, and melanie from brisbane both showed, and i highly recommend both of them, also no -shows, now will be posted only on my new and upcoming site, not in a public forum, i did it once and realize although i was pissed and out of pocket it was incorrect conduct.

Nov 12 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Concept Photo

New York, New York, US

A model is entitled to do what he or she pleases.  If he/she doesn't show, then that's life.

It happens often enough, and I found that best way to respond is discover a new attitude about such setbacks.   Find it acceptable for a model to not show up because there's nothing that can be done about it.

If a photographer puts any thought into responding to a no-show, it will ruin his/her day or week.  Believe me, brooding will accomplish nothing.

Instead, have a back-up plan.  Schedule an understudy; you can pay her a fee for being on-call, just in case the primary model is a no-show.  Draw up a list of models who've agreed to be called on short notice.  (Once, when a model scheduled for 12:00 noon didn't show, I called a model, who turned up at 2:00 pm for a short but productive photo session.)

Nov 12 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

dms graphix

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Several thoughts on this topic:

You get what you pay for,
If they are paying you, get a retainer before booking,
Always have a Plan B.

Truth be told, though, I'm often happy when some TFP model pulls a no-show and I can just go walk my dog.

Nov 12 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

not Randell r

Atlanta, Georgia, US

stuff happens, life moves on, it wont be the last no show.

Randell

Nov 12 05 10:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I think that you should be able to make all of you appointment unless you are dying or in the hospital. This is a grulling cut throught industry, if you miss a beat someone will fill your shoes, you don't want to black ball your self as the model or artist who didnt show. You should have the "balls" to atlease call in a give a heads up or get to your job. It's a job if you didnt show up for work in the "real " world you would get canned. I love my job and my job is my rep. so if I didnt show my rep would suffer and then I would suffer and then I would starve. Either put up or shut up.

Nov 12 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

When a model asks to do TFP for me in a studio environment with an MUA, I ask for a $50 deposit, 100% refundable upon arrival at the studio, or if the cancellation happens more than 48 hours before the shoot.

For 'freebie' TFPs outside where the model does their own makeup...I just suck it up.

Nov 12 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bumping all the no-show threads.  Got the idea from somebody else.

Jan 13 07 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

To the OP    while I can feel your pain after experiencing 14 (yes count 'em 14) reschedules - no shows - and "Yes I would love to shoot" emails that dissapear into the abyss..  I still don't think outing or blacklists is a good idea.   

I think if your focus and energies are spent on negatives rather than positives then it's not productive, and sets a bad tone.  Plus there's always 2 sides to a story..

I have a tough time getting models to show or commit because I'm in the sticks in a small town 100 miles from the nearest area that has any number of models.

While I can appreciate that the drive is inconvenient and know that I will get a large number of cancellations and flakes ...I will still work or schedule with Internet models ...but for the few client paid projects I get, I have learned to rely less on MM and OMP models and lean more toward agency.

Some of the internet models that are NOT flakes make up for the ones that are.  There are some amazingly talented models on MM and OMP

Jan 13 07 12:26 pm Link