Forums > General Industry > what is your definition of professionalism/professional

Photographer

New York, New York, US

This is not about the monitary definition of the word but the way it is used to define ones actions.

I am seeing this term being thrown about by people.

Many of whom I feel are just trying to get people to act to in a certain way that makes them comfortable.

When do you need to be professional?

How much is needed on a site like this which seems more fun and social based right now to me?

How much does a slip up in speaking manner effect your views of a person?

you are welcome to add all the touching, ax murderer, chain saw murderer creepy photographer thing but I am talking not about the obvious and illegal but someone acting in a way that you just do not like or you were not brought up to act that way. 

That can be from talking nonsense and not all business to swearing and the like.

On sites and shoots, responses,  phone calls,  whatever you wish to add

Just as my conduct may be different on such shoots as a jewelry shoot in the diamond district in NY,  a fashion test, a body painting shoot,  a shoot with surfers or skateboarders, a shoot with Japanese executives or lawyers or a shoot with a Japanese rock band or a group a drag queens preforming in Tokyo,

I act differently to a certain degree on each of those shoots to put on a show to put it simply.  Are you the same always?

May 18 05 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Funny but I posted this on another site the same night.

The people did respond to it.

So again for all the people from the land of Boo Hoo.

What is your definition of professionalism?

May 27 05 09:49 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

we've talked about this before, which is why no one is responding.

May 27 05 09:50 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Can you post the address to the thread for I would like to read it?

May 27 05 10:03 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by marksora: 
Can you post the address to the thread for I would like to read it?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/search.php? … ion=search

May 27 05 10:04 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Thankyou for being professional.

(update--I am on an old computer until I get the repairs back and so I am having trouble witht the search.  I do know what the search is. )

At first glance,  there was at least one conversation about the actions not just the money aspect.  So again,  thankyou.

If this conversation goes forward maybe it can address professionalism in regards to actions on sites like this as well as generally in the world.

==============
VL, 
I thought you would not like that.  Was that unprofessional of me to call you professional?

May 27 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by marksora: 
Thankyou for being professional.

Don't insult me!

lol

May 27 05 10:10 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I think the word itslef is over used to a point we think just becase effect....I own a professional camera & lighting or my film is professional film I am. It should be what is the passion for something you are willing to do for 16hrs straight and give of your ideas or share with others to come to a common ground of a end usage of that image brings into play professionalism. I can take a toy camera and with that creatie images that give way to mood that can be used in advertising or editorial...so are the tools we used make us professional or is it more than just thinking the part....become that which you love

May 27 05 10:11 am Link