Forums > General Industry > Need Help!!!!

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hello I am new to modeling and don't know where to head. My dreams are to be in fashion and runway but the more I see, the more I notice that there are very few African american models in those categories, I see alot of African American models posing for different magazines and in music videos, those aren't my dreams at all, I always thought if I went that way I would be stuck in that genre, or should I try to do those things too to gain exposure? Help Please!!!!!!

May 16 05 02:09 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

My best advice would be to say... Better to be stuck somewhere that you're working a lot and getting well paid while you follow your REAL dreams. And you are right there are not a lot of black models in fashion and runway. Not the MAJOR markets anyway.

But each success can often be a stepping stone to greater successes.

May 16 05 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Remember if there are 12 models that look the same !
They are gonna pick #1
Who is #1 You are #1
Without you none of this exists!!

Hugh Jorgen

May 16 05 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Kavonna, You say you're an aspring model just starting out, right? Most just don't jump into exactly the kind of work they want and high fashion/runway is probably the most difficult no matter what your skin color. If that's your dream don't let go of it. You really don't know where you're going to go until you get there. To get there you do what you can to climb that ladder, if you don't then you'll go nowhere. Take your successes and build on those. The more you do then the more you'll get noticed and that is one of your main objectives.
There are no guarantees. The harder it gets only means the harder you must work at it.

There's nothing at all wrong with music videos. Have you done any to say you don't like them? They will get you noticed. The only person who will keep you stuck in any genre is you.

Models of MM, who here would turn down a music video? In fact would "anyone" here turn down being in a music video?

May 16 05 05:24 am Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

It's a difficult business that's all about connections, marketing, and sometimes being at the right place at the right time.  Preparing and marketing yourself are probably the most important.  Especially for what you're seeking, qualified representation in that are is vital also.  The Internet is primarily an adult modeling world, and girls posing for weekend photography with guys discovering digital.  Yes, you can make connetions online, but you'll get more bang for the buck with the computer not turned on. 

Have you done local fashion shows and runway at the malls and such?  When you move to Alabama (?) new opportunities should arise.  We handle an African American girl who's recently been doing runway work in Dallas.  Through marketing, she's received a financial grant toward her career as well (modeling can be expensive).  Representation and proper exposure and marketing will be your most important tools going forward.

Music videos are okay if you can land something substantial.  Bee Booping around as an extra isn't necessarily going to do a lot for you, unless you meet someone important while there hanging out.  Don't forget to have comps in case you do!  Add acting to your skills and attend workshops and work with qualified acting coaches.  Don't get sold into "modeling school."

May 16 05 08:36 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 
It's a difficult business that's all about connections, marketing, and sometimes being at the right place at the right time.  Preparing and marketing yourself are probably the most important.  Especially for what you're seeking, qualified representation in that are is vital also.  The Internet is primarily an adult modeling world, and girls posing for weekend photography with guys discovering digital.  Yes, you can make connetions online, but you'll get more bang for the buck with the computer not turned on. 

Have you done local fashion shows and runway at the malls and such?  When you move to Alabama (?) new opportunities should arise.  We handle an African American girl who's recently been doing runway work in Dallas.  Through marketing, she's received a financial grant toward her career as well (modeling can be expensive).  Representation and proper exposure and marketing will be your most important tools going forward.

Music videos are okay if you can land something substantial.  Bee Booping around as an extra isn't necessarily going to do a lot for you, unless you meet someone important while there hanging out.  Don't forget to have comps in case you do!  Add acting to your skills and attend workshops and work with qualified acting coaches.  Don't get sold into "modeling school."

I have done some fashion show when I was living in Virginia and Fort Worth but they were mainly school functions that stores sponsored. It is so hard to find an agency while I am in nomans land japan lol

May 16 05 08:51 am Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by kavonna: 
It is so hard to find an agency while I am in nomans land japan lol

A lot of models from the US go to Japan specifically to model.  I've never been a fan of that.  At any rate, when you get back to the states, drop me an email and I'll toss you a few contact names to explore.  I'm sure some of my girls would be happy to give you some of their contacts also.  One of my models worked a lot when she lived in Alabama prior to moving out this way.

May 16 05 08:58 am Link

Photographer

robotbones

Austin, Texas, US

when i was a teenager, i was about photojournalism, but then i took some studio class and now i'm about that
i think what i'm to say is, don't write anything in stone keep everything open, try everything, and like it was say befor, vedio will get you notice, it look good on a resume.
like to add, i think you got a good look, don't now much about fashon, but i do now they look for models that stand out, no matter what race. i think you got a good shoot, and good luck

May 16 05 08:59 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 
Models of MM, who here would turn down a music video? In fact would "anyone" here turn down being in a music video?

I would turn down a music video. I delete all the emails I get about castings for music videos immediately. I won't even waste my time on them.

May 16 05 09:01 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by kavonna: 
It is so hard to find an agency while I am in nomans land japan lol

A lot of models from the US go to Japan specifically to model.  I've never been a fan of that.  At any rate, when you get back to the states, drop me an email and I'll toss you a few contact names to explore.  I'm sure some of my girls would be happy to give you some of their contacts also.  One of my models worked a lot when she lived in Alabama prior to moving out this way.

Yeah I know that alot come out here to model but not that many black girls, but I would love for you to give me contacts, advice, anything would be helpful.

May 16 05 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by theda: 

I would turn down a music video. I delete all the emails I get about castings for music videos immediately. I won't even waste my time on them.

Then your the first as far as I know but you didn't say why. Obviously there's a reason. Also, real music video work does not come in the email so I understand that. For any legit video you have to go to a casting.

May 16 05 09:32 am Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by kavonna: 
Yeah I know that alot come out here to model but not that many black girls, but I would love for you to give me contacts, advice, anything would be helpful.

Too true... blonds tend to be more sought after for that.  Just drop me a note offline and I'll hook you up with some names and contact emails/numbers.  Back to the music videos, think of them as a potential networking situation moreso than a music video job.  Another African American model/actress with us made connections at a music video job and landed a national Nike commercial on her own.  Many music video directors also direct the big dollar television commercial work. Don't leave those comps at home!  CONNECT!

May 16 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

ANON

real music video work does not come in the email so I understand that. For any legit video you have to go to a casting. 

The devil you say!  LOL
:-)

May 16 05 09:41 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Then your the first as far as I know but you didn't say why. Obviously there's a reason. Also, real music video work does not come in the email so I understand that. For any legit video you have to go to a casting. 

The emails I get about music videos are usually to advise me that there is a casting. I never go. I never look for video castings.

Music video work is long and extremely tedious. It's simply not worth it for a couple of hundred dollars. I know a lot of people get all jacked up over the "exposure," but unless you're cast in a lead part, you won't be seen for more than a second or so. I'm absoutely not interested in crossing over to viedo/TV/film or acting work.

I'm really quite stunned that so many people actually think those things are worth a damn.

May 16 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Kavonna, You say you're an aspring model just starting out, right? Most just don't jump into exactly the kind of work they want and high fashion/runway is probably the most difficult no matter what your skin color. If that's your dream don't let go of it.

I just wanted to second that comment.

Kavonna, I still have a bruise on the back of my head from falling out of my chair when I saw how gorgeous you are.

Stick to your ambitions and I'm sure you'll attain all you are seeking.

May 16 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Kavonna,

Just wanted to say Konichiwa!

Eat some oishi sushi, drink the saki that is sugoi, and have a suberashi day!

May 16 05 09:53 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by W. Herb Clark: 
Kavonna,

hey hey hey were in america..speak spanish..
(credit to whoever just said that to me)

May 16 05 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by theda: 

The emails I get about music videos are usually to advise me that there is a casting. I never go. I never look for video castings.

Music video work is long and extremely tedious. It's simply not worth it for a couple of hundred dollars. I know a lot of people get all jacked up over the "exposure," but unless you're cast in a lead part, you won't be seen for more than a second or so. I'm absoutely not interested in crossing over to viedo/TV/film or acting work.

I'm really quite stunned that so many people actually think those things are worth a damn.

Ok, I can understand that. I've brought many of my models to them because I did the shoots for many of the agents. Everyone there had to do a full dance routine and they were all taped for future reference so it was not just a few seconds. None of these people used email to announce anything, they made phone calls. The only thing sending tons of email out does is bring in people that just waste time which these people didn't want or need.

May 16 05 10:00 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Since america consists of two large continents where most people speak Spanish, the comment makes sense...

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by W. Herb Clark: 
Kavonna,

hey hey hey were in america..speak spanish..
(credit to whoever just said that to me)

May 16 05 10:19 am Link

Photographer

ANON

None of these people used email to announce anything, they made phone calls.

Come on...  All the big modeling and acting work is done through the Internet and email listings.  :-P

May 16 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

None of these people used email to announce anything, they made phone calls.

Come on...  All the big modeling and acting work is done through the Internet and email listings.  :-P

HUH? OMG, you're right Jeff, what the hell was I thinking? lol

May 16 05 10:57 am Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
My best advice would be to say... Better to be stuck somewhere that you're working a lot and getting well paid while you follow your REAL dreams. And you are right there are not a lot of black models in fashion and runway. Not the MAJOR markets anyway.

But each success can often be a stepping stone to greater successes.

There might not be too many black females in fashion.. but the few that are are REALLY big and have made it far.   I was just at a fashion show this last weekend.. And there were 3 black girls in the show.  They were better than all the rest of the girls. Not to sound racist or shitty in any way... but black girls have this natural attitude for the most part.  It really helps when theyre on the runway and doing fashion shots.

May 16 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by theda: 

Why would you do that? Too good for them? Sheesh. Alicia Silverstone's career was damn near launched because of her video appearances alongside Liv Tyler in Aerosmith videos. As was Tawny Kitaine and lord knows how many other women. So why would ANYONE turn down paying work with such high visibility. And high potential. To me that doesn't say good business sense.

May 16 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
Why would you do that? Too good for them? Sheesh. Alicia Silverstone's career was damn near launched because of her video appearances alongside Liv Tyler in Aerosmith videos. As was Tawny Kitaine and lord knows how many other women. So why would ANYONE turn down paying work with such high visibility. And high potential. To me that doesn't say good business sense.

This was already answered. I'm not interested in acting OR being famous. There's more to life than "business sense."

May 16 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

It all depends on what you want most.  I'm one of those people who would rather fail doing what they want than succeed doing what someone else thinks I should.  It's gotten me nothing but trouble for the most part, but at least I like who I see in the mirror every morning.

PS:  I'm a black artist trying to make a mark in the erotic/fetish field...probably not as difficult as your goal of doing runway, but I can at least see where you're coming from.

May 16 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

K,

Come by the house tonight and we will make a 2 Live Crew video...you game?

May 16 05 10:20 pm Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Tommy McI: 
K,

Come by the house tonight and we will make a 2 Live Crew video...you game?

You know me , do you thinkI am game

May 16 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

Hell yeah. Now making it public is another story.

May 17 05 03:06 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Tommy McI: 
Hell yeah. Now making it public is another story.

lol

May 17 05 03:08 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by theda: 
This was already answered. I'm not interested in acting OR being famous. There's more to life than "business sense."

There is? Like what? LOL. But really people say to me all the time. Im not interested in being famous or rich. BLAH BULLPUCKY I say. Then I ask well what are you interested in. 100 people surveyed top 3 answers on the board. The number 1 answer is Helping people.

Well I say this. Poor unknown people can't help ANYONE! Parkinson's disease has affected MILLIONS of people through the years. But Michael J Fox gets to go before the Senate and congress to appeal for research money and GETS IT!

But Kavonna as I said before. If the opportunity presents itself do the music videos. It could simply be a stepping stone to something larger. Now of course pick the opportunities that are in keeping with your integrity. Don't just go and jump right into a face down ass up video. Unless they pay you enough to never have to work again... LOL

May 17 05 03:30 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I feel you on that d.j,lol

May 17 05 03:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

I would say that if you truly want to be a fashion and/or runway model then your first priority upon getting back to Alabama should be to find an agent (because without one you wont get far and will end up being a web model doing tfp shoot after tfp shoot...). Research all your local talent agencies and find a legit agency with good clients and most importantly working models in bigger markets (this means they have connections with larger agencies in bigger markets, and act as a "mother" agency to these models)The shots you have now should be sufficient enough to show them, then if they like you they can get you connected with other people in the industry around you to do more tests and to build your book enough to promote you to a larger agency in ny, la, atlanta, miami,dallas,chicago ect. In the meantime while you are still in Alabama get involved with every fashion or runway opportunity you can to gain experience (with or without an agent) I would go to all the small designers, boutiques, ect and tell them your a model, give them a buisness card or compcard. It may not pay much but it will give you more experience. I hope this helps, and good luck

PS- Beware of agencies that :
-Ask for money upfront (they get paid when you do)
-Insist you only work with THEIR photographer (they are probably getting a cut of the profit if they do)
-Tell you need to take classes
-Ask you to sign an exclusive contract (only do this if they have a good clientele base, otherwise your limiting yourself, especially as you will be in such a small market)

May 17 05 04:04 am Link

Model

Kavonna

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Printmakeup: 
I would say that if you truly want to be a fashion and/or runway model then your first priority upon getting back to Alabama should be to find an agent (because without one you wont get far and will end up being a web model doing tfp shoot after tfp shoot...). Research all your local talent agencies and find a legit agency with good clients and most importantly working models in bigger markets (this means they have connections with larger agencies in bigger markets, and act as a "mother" agency to these models)The shots you have now should be sufficient enough to show them, then if they like you they can get you connected with other people in the industry around you to do more tests and to build your book enough to promote you to a larger agency in ny, la, atlanta, miami,dallas,chicago ect. In the meantime while you are still in Alabama get involved with every fashion or runway opportunity you can to gain experience (with or without an agent) I would go to all the small designers, boutiques, ect and tell them your a model, give them a buisness card or compcard. It may not pay much but it will give you more experience. I hope this helps, and good luck

PS- Beware of agencies that :
-Ask for money upfront (they get paid when you do)
-Insist you only work with THEIR photographer (they are probably getting a cut of the profit if they do)
-Tell you need to take classes
-Ask you to sign an exclusive contract (only do this if they have a good clientele base, otherwise your limiting yourself, especially as you will be in such a small market)

Thank you that was helpful

May 17 05 07:36 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

I might turn it down if it were...
Hmmm I can't think of a reason I would turn down an offer like that. And yes, I want to do fashion and runway too!

May 17 05 07:41 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Hold on there buck-o. I never said I wasn't interested in being rich, but not at the cost of fame. I'm not exessively interested in helping people, either. Sorry to not fit into your narrow view of mankind.

For the record, poor unknowns are the bulk of humanity and do the bulk of the helping people. It's the poor unknown people that are actually doing the medical research, figthing the wars, running the charities, etc.

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
There is? Like what? LOL. But really people say to me all the time. Im not interested in being famous or rich. BLAH BULLPUCKY I say. Then I ask well what are you interested in. 100 people surveyed top 3 answers on the board. The number 1 answer is Helping people.

Well I say this. Poor unknown people can't help ANYONE! Parkinson's disease has affected MILLIONS of people through the years. But Michael J Fox gets to go before the Senate and congress to appeal for research money and GETS IT!

May 17 05 12:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by theda: 
Hold on there buck-o. I never said I wasn't interested in being rich, but not at the cost of fame. I'm not exessively interested in helping people, either. Sorry to not fit into your narrow view of mankind.

For the record, poor unknowns are the bulk of humanity and do the bulk of the helping people. It's the poor unknown people that are actually doing the medical research, figthing the wars, running the charities, etc.

Posted by DJ Foothill: 

LOL...Theda called him a "Buck-o..."

:::Reese smirks as she scratches two extra kudo points on tally sheet for Theda:::

May 17 05 12:15 pm Link