Forums > General Industry > Too Much Photoshopping??

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

I wanted to get everyones opinion on this image.   I posted it somewhere else on a thread.. but the thread is kinda old so I didn't get any replies.  I personally think i OVERDID it on this image,and would usually NEVER ps an image this much... but i still think the end result came out ok.  Constructive criticism anyone?

https://www.deviousdesires.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_b4after.jpg

May 15 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

maybe just slightly overdone.  but I still like it.  why did you take out the one piercing?

May 15 05 04:31 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

I was honestly just goofing off -shrugs-  and after I got done goofing, I thought that the image looked semi decent.  Ive gotten a lot of compliments on the image so far and had a lot of comments on it the first time I posted it. 
I usually take some of the piercings out of my images when I photoshop.  I just think the image looks cleaner without the piercings sometimes. =shrugs-

May 15 05 04:33 pm Link

Model

Wendi April

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Although I have never had any professional experience with photoshop, I think the picture is beautiful!

May 15 05 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Overall? Looks good.

Bad: The skintone is a little too blown-out. Notice how you can see the shadows of your ribs in the original but they are sorta missing from the retouch? Same with details in the pink fabric and the shadows on the sides of your nose. They are a little too washed.

Good: Erasing the piercings and touching up the hair look good. I don't think it's overdone. Restoring the background to true-white is cool too.

May 15 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

HDellinger

Chicago, Illinois, US

I PS my stuff quite a bit.  I dont think it looks overdone at all.  Its hard to tell at this size of course.  I think the only thing is the hair is a little too manicured on the right hand of the photo.

Just my opinion smile

May 15 05 04:37 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 
Overall? Looks good.

Bad: The skintone is a little too blown-out. Notice how you can see the shadows of your ribs in the original but they are sorta missing from the retouch?

Good: Erasing the piercings and touching up the hair look good. I don't think it's overdone. Restoring the background to true-white is cool too.

Good point. thanks bout the shadows.  and i agree with the color being blown out.

May 15 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

to much..anytime you lose you skin texture its too much...

May 15 05 04:44 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
to much..anytime you lose you skin texture its too much...

I actually think I made myself look a lil pale in this image... lol and considering how pale I am.. I think thats kinda weird. haha

May 15 05 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

i am in the minority here, but that happens alot.

my answer to PS is simple, if you can tell that any was done, then you did too much.

you are a very pretty lady, stick to very minor corrections and leave the skin alone. Make your photographers light your face so that it looks flawles and then the only PS you'll need is a small tweak.

Imagaine this, 10 short years ago nobody ever heard of PS and there were still amazing images of models.

How did they do it without the almighty PhotoShop?

answer, incredible detail to make-up, hair, lighting, exposure, AND printing.

May 15 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

im of the school of "if you cant SEE the skin' it's too much. That said, glamour retouching is quite different than portraiture retouching.

I try to make my subjects appear like they just got back from a great vacation, rather than removing all sense of their skin.

final note though: it depends on what the image is actually for, and if YOU like it.

May 15 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Visual Edge

Fenton, Michigan, US

Posted by Chanti: 
I wanted to get everyones opinion on this image.   I posted it somewhere else on a thread.. but the thread is kinda old so I didn't get any replies.  I personally think i OVERDID it on this image,and would usually NEVER ps an image this much... but i still think the end result came out ok.  Constructive criticism anyone?

https://www.deviousdesires.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_b4after.jpg

I agree with Eric that it is a little blown out, but over all I think you did a good job on the editing.

May 15 05 05:05 pm Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

I think it is fine, not overdone at all.

May 15 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

too much!

May 15 05 06:39 pm Link

Model

sarahlouise

London, England, United Kingdom

i like it but i think you shouldn't have taken off the fly away bits of hair that as i thought they made it look much more spontaeous and composed. I however am guilty of over photoshoping I love it too much

May 15 05 06:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Too much. You look like a plastic doll.

May 15 05 06:47 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

Posted by theda: 
Too much. You look like a plastic doll.

Thanks For the Constructive Criticism dear big_smile

May 15 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

If you're talking about this image, in the screen-sized version, it looks seriously overdone. Much of the micro-level shading of the face has been lost, and the skin--as much as you didn't like theda's comment--does look plastic.

If a plastic surface was what you were looking for, it's fine. If you were aiming for perfect skin, it's seriously overdone.

Note that the full-size image may be OK; reducing images tends to soften them and lose detail, but I'd check it carefully before using it if it's supposed to look 'real'. Additionally, check the underlying media-based [digital or film) texture of the image vs the underlying texture of the skin. If there's a visual mismatch, it'll have to be corrected unless you want the retouched areas to call attention to the fact that they were retouched.

May 16 05 02:16 am Link