Model

Paul Dietz

Los Angeles, California, US

those of you who are familiar with proscout......what are your thoughts of it? ill tell you mine because i attended it long ago......i have mixed feelings of it...yeah it took $600 to go.....and 95% of people who attend go nowhere with it......i had 5 agencies interested but at the time i wasnt living in LA...only one was really interested-- Stars...i stopped working with them later on though....alot of people feel scammed after they go to this thing but i thought it was worth my money and heres why--i learned alot about the business from going and i had alot of fun those 2 days.....met alot of people....made some new friends....if i knew what i know now i wouldnt have gone..but that was then-----AND it inspired me to persue llamaing----and i did-------yeah there are better paths to go but if you have the money to blow then i think its a fun thing to do////////anyone else go to it?

Apr 12 05 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Poetic Spectre Imaging

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Not worth it.  I think you can learn just as much by doing the research and asking around.  You don't need to shell out $600-$700 for it.

Apr 12 05 01:45 am Link

Model

kiana's place

Citrus Heights, California, US

RUN RUN RUN....Any company that wants money from you it is a SCAM!!!!  Run away!!! Run fast

Apr 12 05 01:49 am Link

Model

Victoria Lane

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

That's such a big scam it was on Sixty Minutes or one of those types of shows.  It has had various names.  No one should ever shell out that kind of money to a company to work.

Apr 12 05 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Here's a better idea if you have that kind of money to blow. Give that 600 bucks to a real photographer working in the industry for just one full day and you'll learn more than most llamas on omp.

If you just want to have fun then for only a few bucks more you can take a week long cruise thru the Islands. Or on the West coast you can cruise the Mexican Riviera smile

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 12 05 01:55 am Link

Model

Victoria Lane

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Posted by Gary Darrar / Glamour Studio: 
Here's a better idea if you have that kind of money to blow. Give that 600 bucks to a real photographer working in the industry for just one full day and you'll learn more than most models on omp.

If you just want to have fun then for only a few bucks more you can take a week long cruise thru the Islands. Or on the West coast you can cruise the Mexican Riviera smile

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Seriously.  Well said.

Apr 12 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Exactly Gary! So many models contact me to do portfolio shoots and run away when I tell them my rates. Yet they will spend tons of money with an agency that does nothing for them and sends them to the equivalent of WalMart for headshots. Models need to see that investing in a good photographer is an investment in themselves and their self-promotion.

Apr 12 05 12:49 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

I've been to Proscout and Model Search America.  I was 10yrs old for Proscout and 12yrs old for Model Search America.

They both seem to be worthless.  I got a call back with Madison Models in NYC at the MSA convention.  Their representative told me they wanted me to be 14 to work with them.  He gave me his card and his contact info and told me to contact him on my 14th birthday.  When I contacted the agency with the person's name, they told me he never existed with their agency.

I'd rather pay money for a great photographer to get decent photos than pay that much money to go to another one of those conventions.

Apr 12 05 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
Exactly Gary! So many models contact me to do portfolio shoots and run away when I tell them my rates. Yet they will spend tons of money with an agency that does nothing for them and sends them to the equivalent of WalMart for headshots. Models need to see that investing in a good photographer is an investment in themselves and their self-promotion.

Wow, all I can say is... you said exactly what I was just thinking!! 

JP

Apr 13 05 12:28 am Link

Model

Vania

Orlando, Florida, US

Proscout sucks! And I feel sorry for anyone who gets sucked into that s*** and they don't have that kind of money to blow. It's definatley a big fat scam, just like the agencies who ask you for money up front!

Apr 13 05 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Gary Darrar / Glamour Studio: 
Here's a better idea if you have that kind of money to blow. Give that 600 bucks to a real photographer working in the industry for just one full day and you'll learn more than most models on omp.

You know where Siskiyou is!!

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 13 05 12:52 am Link

Model

Amabelle

Toronto, Iowa, US

How convenient of me to find this forum!  I attended one of those free interview event for Proscouts yesterday and I was given the invitation to attend the event this June 2005.  I have seriously been thinking of attending but the only thing that's stopping me is the money.  I've been modeling freelance for about a year now and have found more work through my growing network and is considering looking at the many legitimate agencies here in Toronto, Canada.  It just seemed like a good opportunity to attend this event though..But I don't know..Thanks for the insight..Now, I'm leaning more towards NOT attending the Proscout event!! 

Apr 14 05 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Amabelle....Mayhem is cheaper safer and probably will get you better work!!

Never pay to be a model!!

Ill turn you into one for free

Apr 14 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Kalauna wrote:
those of you who are familiar with proscout......what are your thoughts of it? ill tell you mine because i attended it long ago......i have mixed feelings of it...yeah it took $600 to go.....and 95% of people who attend go nowhere with it......i had 5 agencies interested but at the time i wasnt living in LA...only one was really interested-- Stars...i stopped working with them later on though....alot of people feel scammed after they go to this thing but i thought it was worth my money and heres why--i learned alot about the business from going and i had alot of fun those 2 days.....met alot of people....made some new friends....if i knew what i know now i wouldnt have gone..but that was then-----AND it inspired me to persue modeling----and i did-------yeah there are better paths to go but if you have the money to blow then i think its a fun thing to do////////anyone else go to it?

Jul 30 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Jul 30 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

SindelChaos wrote:
I'd rather pay money for a great photographer to get decent photos than pay that much money to go to another one of those conventions.

"Blessed are those that know that there is no free lunch, for they shall be provided with the means to buy their own darn lunches."

M

Jul 30 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Kalauna wrote:
those of you who are familiar with proscout......what are your thoughts of it? ill tell you mine because i attended it long ago......i have mixed feelings of it...yeah it took $600 to go.....and 95% of people who attend go nowhere with it......i had 5 agencies interested but at the time i wasnt living in LA...only one was really interested-- Stars...i stopped working with them later on though....alot of people feel scammed after they go to this thing but i thought it was worth my money and heres why--i learned alot about the business from going and i had alot of fun those 2 days.....met alot of people....made some new friends....if i knew what i know now i wouldnt have gone..but that was then-----AND it inspired me to persue modeling----and i did-------yeah there are better paths to go but if you have the money to blow then i think its a fun thing to do////////anyone else go to it?

SCAM!  I attended as a journalist with a model.  I had a tow hour phone interview with the guy how owns the company, then I called Elite and Fords to get their input.   It's not the biggest waste of money, since it's "fun" for some who attend, but there are far better ways to spend your money in this industry!

Jul 30 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Kevin P. wrote:

Proscout is NOT an agency.  They put on a big show where they let you walk up and down a ramp in front of "scouts" who might pick one out of a hundred to take their info and stats to the REAL agent who does not attend.  It's called "scout" for a reason ... that being the real decision makers are not there!

Pictures?  A legit agency is not supposed to do any more than give you a referral list of photographers to choose from.  Too many "agents" took cuts from the photographer in exchange for sending models.  It's illegal in California for agents to do that now!

Jul 30 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Vania wrote:
Proscout sucks! And I feel sorry for anyone who gets sucked into that shit and they don't have that kind of money to blow. It's definatley a big fat scam, just like the agencies who ask you for money up front!

Hahaa!  You sound exactly like the model I interviewed right after a Proscout event!   tongue   You tell it like it is!  I like that!

Jul 30 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Rosebeck

Albany, New York, US

FYI, the "scouts" as they're called, are all paid by Pro-Scout to be there, a nice weekend rate, meals, hotel. Have been to one of their convention's if you will, in Boston,Ma. and they had to have been at least 1000 or more hopefuls. Each one shelling out apprx. $800.00, do the math, proscout is making a killing just off that, then there is all the bullshit classes they upsell you, even more money. My suggestion is to keep your money and spend it on a photographer that can produce image's that you "need" for the market segment your "qualified" for.

Jul 30 06 06:30 pm Link

Jul 31 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

The only people Proscout is useful for is the people who get signed! lol
And for the same reason...if you sent most of Model Mayhem to Proscout, most would say it's a scam....
But if you asked the 3 or 4 girls who got signed to a major agency...They would probably think it was worth it...

P.S. I'm not saying anyone should go... everyone should just send their snapshots off to the agencies they're interested in...

Jul 31 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Burnz F

San Diego, California, US

I personally would rather pay a great photographer for pictures than waste my time and money on such a scam. I have a friend who works for a similar scam, i mean company, hehehhee (it's a HUGE agency that started to go that scam route, name starts with a W, lol) and my friend told me not to go to any of those so-called talent shows because only 2 things happen in them, 1st the company gets all your money, and 2nd, the modelling agencies that do attend travel for free to interact with other agencies and see if they have models that they can swap with for some of the castings they have. Yuppers, thats what happens she says... sometimes, 1 or 2 models get lucky and get signed but out of those hundreds of guys/girls who pay atleast 600 bucks each. you do the math... but if you really wanna waste your money for something like that, then go ahead, i'm not gonna hate, it's your money, do whatever you want with it smile

ciao,
B~

Jul 31 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Brooozz wrote:
I personally would rather pay a great photographer for pictures than waste my time and money on such a scam. I have a friend who works for a similar scam, i mean company, hehehhee (it's a HUGE agency that started to go that scam route, name starts with a W, lol) and my friend told me not to go to any of those so-called talent shows because only 2 things happen in them, 1st the company gets all your money, and 2nd, the modelling agencies that do attend travel for free to interact with other agencies and see if they have models that they can swap with for some of the castings they have. Yuppers, thats what happens she says... sometimes, 1 or 2 models get lucky and get signed but out of those hundreds of guys/girls who pay atleast 600 bucks each. you do the math... but if you really wanna waste your money for something like that, then go ahead, i'm not gonna hate, it's your money, do whatever you want with it smile

ciao,
B~

I'm imagining that most of the people who actually go are the parents & 14 year olds, who pressured their parents into taking them. And actually know nothing about modeling or acting.... They probably know nothing about professional pictures, or agencies... and have no idea how the industry works...

They go, they get the speech about the industry...walk for the agents...
And... If they get nowhere there, they're probably bitter about the whole industry (and scam), and quit.... (no false encouragement like on some websites 'round here)

Jul 31 06 02:38 pm Link