Forums > General Industry > do models inspire you to keep in shape?....

Photographer

- null -

I don't know about other photographers, but constant exposure to images of beautifully-built men and women has definitely inspired me to keep in shape.

I excercise all the time and I continue to do it because I genuinely enjoy doing it. But my initial motive was, "Gosh, I look pudgy. I have Depeche Mode hair, but I don't want a Robert Smith body. I need to tone up."

So I did.

How many of you feel the same? How many of you have been motivated by "the beautiful people" to make sure you remain one of them? How many of you just let yourselves turn into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?

Just curious.

Then again, I live in Los Angeles where everyone is beautiful and/or wealthy. You have to be one, or the other, or both ... if not, you're forced to move south of the 10.

yikes

Oct 23 05 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

You Betcha!!
Think the term in my mind would be women although..
I would say they where a driving force in the development of my body..
And my mind!!!

Now at the age of 54 soon to be 55...Its not the age its all the accidents im sooo sore!!

But ya know ya just gotta kick that aside and go with the flow..

Situps to the body is like Brylcream to you hair..

A little dab ell do ya..

Use more only if ya dare ..

But watch out"The girls will all persue ya"

They love to get thier fingers in your hair....

(:-------

I love Life!!

Hj

Oct 23 05 02:50 am Link

Photographer

MB Photo 13

New York, New York, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
" I have Depeche Mode hair, but I don't want a Robert Smith body. "

LOL

Oct 23 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
How many of you have been motivated by "the beautiful people" to make sure you remain one of them?

Can't remain one if I've never been one.  Overweight middle-aged white guys are just never gonna be cool or beautiful.  I leave vanity to the models.

-Don  smile

Oct 23 05 11:15 am Link

Model

balletkatelyn

New York, New York, US

you think being around models is bad? try ballet. people wearing next to nothing for hours everyday, almost everyday of the week... HUGE mirrors that you have to look at yourself in all the time!!!

self-esteem killer.. unless you're lucky.. like me, i still actually like myself... ha!

ok, i don't wanna hijack the thread, i just wanted to say something to keep it going.. i wanna see what other photogs have to say!

Oct 23 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Models help keep me in shape in that I get work out doing a shoot as the photographer.  Don't let anyone fool you, photographing someone for 2-3 hours is *work*

Oct 23 05 11:23 am Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Definately.  I once topped around 250, I don't really know for sure because I was too embarassed to actually weigh myself.  But I did have a nick name for my stomach: "The Pod".  Anyways, after hanging out with performers, strippers, and models some how I managed to trim down to an almost sleek 187lbs.

Oct 23 05 11:23 am Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Im in great shape... round is a shape.. easiest shape to maintain..

Oct 23 05 11:31 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

im 6'2"
205 lbs

strong build but not ripped
i have picked up girls and carried them across rough terrain
just so they dont twist an ankle , fall, or what not.

but to keep the weight off i

1# everyonce an a while i get a shop-vac put a little slit in my gut and vaccum it out...lol

2# or gag myself after big meal

3# or ill have a salad with no toppings

4# or do herion or coke for days so i dont eat......**dont smoke weed if your trying to loose       weight***

(ps  1-4 are only jokes)

Oct 23 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Being a short, stubby, mafiaso looking fiend w/ glasses and many a party w/ Mr. Daniels kinda killed any hopes of me being categorized as one of the "beatiful" people. Although if they ever do a remake of the Wizard of Oz, I'm gunning for a part as one of the Munkins.

I work out because I enjoy doing so & because I am (or was) motivated to do so. Not because I give a rat's arse what people think w/ how I look.

Besides, does anyone really care how sculpted the person is behind the camera?

Oct 23 05 12:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marcia Dionne

Frisco, Texas, US

being around "beautiful people" has definitely reminded me that I need to save my spot in the group.  That's why I went on a diet a couple of weeks ago.  Only 15lbs to go. 

Pray for me...

Oct 23 05 12:08 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Yes,  They do and good question.   I had a bet with two models a couple of summers ago to be able to get to a certain point in fitness compared to a Movie with a Ancient warrior.

I won the bet and it was nice.

But I have let things lapse so now when I feel fat,  I just go to K-mart.

Oct 23 05 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

LMAO @ Depeche Mode hair and a Robert Smith body. I gots Tix to four of the DM shows next month. Im shooting them, YAY for me.

But since I am in no danger of ever being one of the beautiful people no. I just used to work out a lot so that I would be more effective at kicking people's butts. he he he. And when Im in front of the camera they aint payin me for my looks... he he he

Oct 23 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Yes.
It is a motivation to be in shape. A bad short one LOL.

Oct 23 05 03:30 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Ani Ta

San Diego, California, US

ok i havent really read this whole string or what ppl have been writing but im jsut going to jump in with something here. i just got back from fashionw eek LA. and then i was laying in bed and thoughts came into mind that i suddenly felt like starving myself to be as skinny as all those beautiful models i have seen. but the next day i woke up and realized i liek to eat way too much adn i liek to eat junk too. dammit ill never be as pretty or skinny as them anorexic looking girls in the magazines or runway...
i dont know
i guess ill stay a MUA!
lol
Ani facesbyani.com

Oct 23 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:

How true.. i learnt early on that wearing muscle shirts which showcase my overflowing body fur; the models were getting that gleam in their eyes & distracted. i thought that models were pro's first, and girly second; but women will be women. How they can they resist? So i learnt to wear long sleeve shirts and now the shoots run much smoother.

Oct 23 05 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

MikeyBoy wrote:
Im in great shape... round is a shape.. easiest shape to maintain..

My man - love the response. big_smile

Mark

Oct 23 05 11:45 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I'm motivated by my own sense of worth and by my family to stay in shape.  I believe my kids deserve a healthy (mentally, physically and spiritually) mom as a role model.  I also feel my husband deserves the same for a wife.  I believe everyone is here for a reason, and we need to do what we can to be the best we can be.

Oct 23 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Inferi wrote:
I'm motivated by my own sense of worth and by my family to stay in shape.  I believe my kids deserve a healthy (mentally, physically and spiritually) mom as a role model.  I also feel my husband deserves the same for a wife.  I believe everyone is here for a reason, and we need to do what we can to be the best we can be.

More and more healthy people are dying everyday... he he he. Actually I think the best motivation is for self.

I feel much better physically and mentally when I have a few good days a week of extensive workouts. People aren't so quick to try and mess with me when Im at my normal lean 5' 9" 195 - 200 pounds....

And women seem to just LOVE touching my arms and chest... he he he

Oct 24 05 01:21 am Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

Hummm, no not really in terms of my body shape as I'm OK with how I am.
I'm not exactly skinny but I am slim... I'm not getting any slimmer because, hey, I like to eat burgers! wink

However I do get inspiration from models in terms of hair/makeup and clothing ideas.

Oct 24 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

My favorite model motivates me.

Of course we've been dating for a year and she's got this way of subtle persuasion to get me to the gym.

My expression used to be No pain, No pain.

Now it's like No pain, No get'n laid wink

Oct 24 05 09:53 am Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am a bit of a health and fitness maniac, and have always been so...
but the camera's eye is the ultimate critic...It has no feeling, can not be
bribed, and does not lie. And it is my truest and cruelest taskmaster.

Oct 24 05 01:04 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
You Betcha!!

But ya know ya just gotta kick that aside and go with the flow..

Situps to the body is like Brylcream to you hair..

A little dab ell do ya..

Use more only if ya dare ..

(:-------

I love Life!!

Hj

Something tells me you got a hold of some of that 'hydroponic' tobacco.

Oct 24 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

I tried to stay in shape by going to the gym but my ashtray kept falling off the handle bars on the stationary bike...

Then I quit smoking and suddenly realized that food actually tasted pretty good!!  So that hasn't helped my battle of the bulge or general fitness level. 

Then again, as a photographer, I have found it to be to my advantage to be old, creaky, wheezy and slow.  How could that possibly be, you may ask?

About half way through many studio photo sessions, models of all different backgrounds and personal feelings about nudity suddenly decide that since I can't possibly chase them around the studio, let alone catch them, and even if I caught one of them would be too damned tired to do anything about it, they offer to do their first nude shoot.  I kid you not.

I may be dying, but it will take the undertaker a week at least to get the grin off my face....

Oct 24 05 02:35 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

DJTalStudios wrote:

More and more healthy people are dying everyday... he he he. Actually I think the best motivation is for self.

I feel much better physically and mentally when I have a few good days a week of extensive workouts. People aren't so quick to try and mess with me when Im at my normal lean 5' 9" 195 - 200 pounds....

And women seem to just LOVE touching my arms and chest... he he he

It is amazing what a good workout will do for your mood, isn't it??

Oct 24 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

I am in quite a shape.  Man, I wish I were back at 135 lbs!  Hair, bones, & teeth!  And about 24 years old too!  A million dollars.... A new bike....  A '64 Gibson Firebird....  More Cds.  I'm a wreck what can I say!

Oct 24 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

seriously... i don't give a rats a** about what other people think.
I'm a bit too thin but I really don't care. I'm happy with myself and
would never ever try ot change something just to please someone else.

Oct 25 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

C R Photography wrote:
Now it's like No pain, No get'n laid wink

New workout mantra. Thanks.

Oct 25 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Iam my Own workout inspiration......big_smile

Oct 25 05 05:04 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Yesterday I did my first photo shoot. Some random person came out of no where and started threatening the photographer. (I think he was REALLY REALLY Drunk, or mentally disabled) any way. That would be a good reason to keep in shape. In which case my photographer did appear to be able to protect himself (and me) if anything were to have actually happened.

Oct 25 05 05:07 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
I don't know about other photographers, but constant exposure to images of beautifully-built men and women has definitely inspired me to keep in shape.

I excercise all the time and I continue to do it because I genuinely enjoy doing it. But my initial motive was, "Gosh, I look pudgy. I have Depeche Mode hair, but I don't want a Robert Smith body. I need to tone up."

So I did.

How many of you feel the same? How many of you have been motivated by "the beautiful people" to make sure you remain one of them? How many of you just let yourselves turn into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?

Just curious.

Then again, I live in Los Angeles where everyone is beautiful and/or wealthy. You have to be one, or the other, or both ... if not, you're forced to move south of the 10.

yikes

Well, just depends on who your model role model is. Providing its not Kate Moss, go for it.

Oct 25 05 06:26 pm Link

Model

Daphne Adair

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

The Don Mon wrote:
im 6'2"
205 lbs

strong build but not ripped
i have picked up girls and carried them across rough terrain
just so they dont twist an ankle , fall, or what not.

but to keep the weight off i

1# everyonce an a while i get a shop-vac put a little slit in my gut and vaccum it out...lol

2# or gag myself after big meal

3# or ill have a salad with no toppings

4# or do herion or coke for days so i dont eat......**dont smoke weed if your trying to loose       weight***

(ps  1-4 are only jokes)

LMFAO...you are too funny. Unfortunately, I pretty much follow the same regime.

)ps - I'm not joking...except for #4)!

Oct 25 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Models don't inspire me. I do it for myself. After nearly dying from a ruptured appendix 10 years ago, I got a 2nd lease on life. I don't take things for granted, health included.

Oct 25 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

I would have to say YES....  especially since most of the models I shoot are in the FITNESS industry...  it's hard going to these big shows and expos and not feeling like you 'fit in'.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, though... while seeing some of thes bodies makes me WANT to get back to the gym, I look at some of them and I think "even if I didn't have to have a JOB and all I had to do was go the gym 24-7, I will NEVER be able to look liek THAT, so what's the use??  lol  Can be de-motivating at the same time.

Jan 29 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

I have to add.. I am a model and other models make me want to stay in shape. Since, in away I am competing with them. I do not want to be known as "The fat Chick" of the models. That's just not fun!

Jan 30 06 03:41 am Link

Model

leila

sounds liek a mad few days..

Jan 30 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

not the Krispy Kreme Calendar girls...

Jan 30 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

cheri leah

Troy, Alabama, US

When I work out..I always keep and issue of Shape Magazine in front of me..lol..Not that I dont like the shape that I'm already in...Just helps me keep going!

Jan 30 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

Trina

New York, New York, US

I know what you mean! I'm not exactly model size...and it still doesn't me by being around models and actors. I love to eat so it's hard. i'm looking for quick remedy. Yeah, definitely if you smoke weed...you won't lose weight..you'll gain it. I tried it and i eat triple what i normally eat!!

Jan 30 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

leila

lol munchies!

Jan 30 06 12:39 pm Link